Who Knew

Bittersweet

Piper tied her hair back and walked down the stairs. She had only been up for a few minutes, but she heard voices. One voice she was desperate to get to. She stepped off the last step and smiled when see saw Jacob sitting on the sofa talking to her brother. She didn't even care if she had just woke up, had morning breath, and hadn't brushed her hair. She just needed desperately to hug him.

She walked over and he chuckled. She bent down and wrapped her arms around him, and ignored Paul as he groaned from beside him. Jacob kissed her cheek, and then she stood up and looked across the room and saw her mother and Chad standing there. Her smile turned into a frown when she remembered her mother was leaving for New York in just a few hours.

"You boys going to help me pack some things out to the car or what?" Susie asked.

"Sure mom, Jake and I got it." Paul said.

Jacob stood up and flashed Piper a smile as he walked over and helped with some of the boxes of Susie's stuff. Piper sucked in a deep breath, as her mom walked towards her. Susie smiled as she glanced down at her daughter.

"How does it feel to be in love?" Susie asked.

"Mom." Piper said, rolling her eyes, "It's not love. . . yet."

Susie laughed, "Whatever you say."

Jacob and Paul walked back in and grabbed a few more boxes. Piper grabbed a smaller one and packed it outside to the truck and placed it inside. Her mother leaving was going to be very bittersweet. Most teenagers would kill for this opportunity. She and Paul were actually going to be running the house now.

"No wild parties." Susie said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Mom, come on. It's La Push, not Hollywood."

"I'm being serious, Paul. I'm fine with you guys having friends over this summer, but when school comes back in, I expect you to not let your grades drop. Sue Clearwater, and Joan Smith plan on looking in on you two from time to time. I gave them both keys."

"Mom, Piper and I are mature enough to handle this responsibility."

"You better be. Now I've talked to you two about the account."

"Mom, we got it." Paul said with a grin.

"I think they understand your rules, Sus." Chad said with a smile.

She breathed in deeply, and then grabbed both of them and pulled them into a bone crushing hug. Piper could feel the tears swelling up in her eyes, but she refused to let them free. Her mother released them from the hug, and then placed a kiss on each of their cheeks.

"I'm going to miss you kids so much."

"We'll miss you too." Paul said.

"I love you, Mom." Piper stated.

Paul and Piper watched as their mother climbed inside the truck and drove off the reservation. Paul looked over at Piper and reminded her that this was a good thing. Susie was now going to be safe in New York.

"I miss her already."

"Me too, Pip. Me too." Paul said, hugging his sister.

Paul soon let his sister go, and stretched his arms above his head, "So, I guess now that I'm the boss of the house, I should set a few rules. . . No seeing my sister after six P.M, kid." He said, directing his comment to Jacob.

Piper laughed, "Well, then. Let's see how well your stomach feels with that rule."

Jacob chuckled, and then smirked over at Paul, who was looking towards Piper with surprise.

"Fine! No rules! You got to cook for me, and just. . . Please, please. . . lock the door and turn on the radio or something if you two. . . well you know."

Piper's cheeks started blushing violently as she looked at her brother. Jacob noticed this, and couldn't help but to let his cheeks turn a little shade of red as well. He hadn't really thought about her that way yet. He was just glad they had finally decided to be in a relationship together.

"I'm going to see Kathy, so I'll see you kids later." Paul said, "Oh, and don't wait up." He said, smirking as he walked away.

Piper shook her head, "I hope that girls on birth control." She muttered, as she walked back inside the house with Jacob trailing behind her.

"So, do you think it'll be easy surviving without your mom?" Jacob asked.

Piper turned around and nodded her head, "I was already cleaning the house, doing the laundry, and cooking most of the meals. Not much is going to change. I just gotta try to keep Paul out of trouble." Piper laughed.

"I don't know what I'd do without my dad around." Jacob mumbled.

Piper half smiled at him, and then walked over and wrapped her arms around him and leaned her head against his chest. "You're amazing, Jake." She murmured.

He laughed, "What makes you say that?"

She just shrugged her shoulder's, "You are, so why not say it?"

"What have I done so amazing lately?"

She grinned, "Just showing me that there's more to life than make-up and going to fancy school dances."

He laughed, "I'm glad I could help." He said leaning down and pressing his lips against hers for a sweet kiss, "But."

She groaned, "No buts. . ."

"I think you should talk to Ireland. I don't want to ruin a friendship."

She sighed, "Ireland's difficult. It's either her way or the highway. Trust me, I'm actually. . . better off without her, okay?"

He nodded his head and licked over his lips before kissing her once again. "I need to go talk to Sam for a bit. I'll be back in a little while, okay?"

"Okay. I'll get a shower and stuff. Don't stay gone too long."

"I won't." He said, leaning down and kissing her softly one last time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image