Who Knew

Pretending

She crossed her arms over her chest and starred down Bella Swan. She hardly knew the girl, but yet she hated her in so many ways. Bella tucked a piece of her plain brown hair behind her ear, and shifted uncomfortable on her feet. "I'm glad Jacob found you." Bella admitted.

Piper raised an eyebrow, instantly wondering what type of game Bella could possibly be playing. She had ruined their first date by insisting that she and her vampire boyfriend stay longer than welcome. Now she had practically ruined their second date as well, although Piper was thankful Bella came to warn them.

"You're glad he found me?" Piper questioned.

Bella nodded, and then sighed, "I know what I did at the diner was wrong, but, I'm not going to lie. I was jealous. Jacob is an amazing guy, and even though I have Edward who I love more than anything, Jacob still holds a piece of my heart. I had heard some stuff about you from a few guys from Forks, and I assumed you would just toy with his heart, so I went in protective mode hoping to scare you away. Normally girls don't bother with a guy if he seems to have baggage. . ."

"You were pretending?"

Bella nodded her head, "I don't want to see Jacob hurt."

"What exactly did you hear about me?" Piper asked.

"Just that you went on a lot of dates with different guys. Mike Newton said you pretty much treat a guy like a new pair of shoes, you have them one week, and the next you toss them out the window."

Piper's mouth slightly dropped at that statement, though she could see where some would assume that. She had went on a lot of dates in her past, and never really had a boyfriend longer than a couple of weeks. She had always wanted to be the heart breaker, and never the one who got their heart broke.

"I was just scared for Jacob, Piper. Now I see that was wrong of me. He really cares about you, and I hope you care about him."

"I do." Piper admitted.

Bella nodded her head, "That's good. I really hope we can start over. I'm really sorry if I came off as the annoying friend who wanted to keep Jacob all to herself."

"You did get on my nerves," Piper admitted, "But I can kind of see why. I do have a pretty bad reputation."

Things between the two of them got very silent. Piper looked out her window for a trace of Jacob and found none. She frowned, and then turned to Bella. "Why exactly are the vampires coming?"

Bella proceeded to explain the story of James, and how he nearly took her life. She then explained some things about Victoria, and how Alice had visions. She also said that some of Alice's visions were blank, which led her to believe the wolves were involved.

"I don't want my brother or Jacob fighting vampires." Piper mumbled.

"Your brother?"

"Paul Parker is my brother."

"You're. . . how is that possible?"

Piper sighed, and then looked at her, "I'm adopted."

She didn't really get to go into detail considering her front door swung open to reveal Jacob in nothing but a pair of ripped off shorts. Piper bit down on her bottom lip as she tried to concentrate on not starring at her boyfriend's body at the moment.

"The vampires are coming. Bella, Edward wants you to meet him at the border."

Bella walked out of the house quickly, and retreated to her old red truck.

Jacob turned his attention towards Piper and sighed, "I want you to go to Emily's house. Brady and Collin will be there. Some of the other imprints are there as well."

"Where are you going?"

"I've got to go help the pack, baby. The vampires are going to be here in less than thirty minutes."

"Jacob Black! You've got to be kidding me! You are not fighting a group of vampires."

He walked over and cupped her face in his hands and then leaned down and pressed his lips against hers, "I have to."

"No! Go get my brother and come back here!"

"Baby, I can't."

Tears began to swell in her blue eyes and he frowned. He hated to see her like this, "I love you, Piper." He blurted out.

Her mouth dropped, and she wasn't able to form any words. Jacob just starred at her for a few minutes. She was completely speechless, "Come on, I'm taking you to Emily's."

She didn't even have time to change into some jeans. Jacob walked her over to Emily's house where several girls of all ages were, along with Collin and Brady. He kissed her softly on the forehead and then ran off. Piper didn't even get a chance to tell him goodbye, or that she loved him as well.

"Everything will be okay." Emily said, walking up to her and rubbing her back, "Come on, meet the rest of the imprints."
♠ ♠ ♠
Image