Who Knew

Drawing Straws

Piper sat there listening to the several different conversations around her. She wanted to join in, but she really couldn't with her mind being so cloudy. All she could think about was Jacob and what he had said to her just because he took off running through the woods. He had told her he loved her. He didn't even give her a chance to say it back. She didn't know if that was because he was scared of rejection or if he honestly just needed to go. She just knew that the moment he walked through that door, she was going to pounce on him and tell him just how much he means to her.

It was like God answered her prays. The door opened up and in walked Sam and Jared first. Emily and Kim pounced on them and proceeded to smother them with kisses. Piper chewed on her bottom lip nervously as she watched some of the other guys push past the couples and into the room. She smiled seeing her brother, and then smiled wider as she watched Kathy run over to him. Jacob was the last one through the door. She grinned widely, as she ran over. He chuckled, and then pulled her into the strongest hug they had yet.

"I missed you so much." She mumbled into his chest.

He smiled, as he felt how tightly she was holding on to him. He held her close to him and buried his face in her blond locks. She smelled of strawberries, which was one of his favorite scents.

"I love you Jacob." She whispered, as she pulled away and looked up into his coffee colored eyes.

One side of his mouth turned up into a smile, and then slowly the other followed. He leaned down and placed a soft kiss against her mouth. He was defiantly in heaven right now. Even though the vampires would soon return, and another war would begin. In this very moment none of that mattered. The only thing that mattered was the girl in his arms.

Her pulled his lips away from her and smiled down at her, "I love you too, baby."

"Is it over?" She asked.

He shook his head, and felt awful for the fear that spread across her face. He just leaned down and kissed her softly on the temple.

"Okay, boys. We still have a job to do tonight. I know all of us are tired. But what three are going to patrol?" Sam asked.

Jacob sighed, knowing he would probably be one of the chosen ones.

"I say we draw straws." Jared stated.

Everyone agreed that would be done, and Emily walked into the kitchen and chopped up some plastic straws. She then came back and allowed each of the guys to pull one from her hand. Jacob shook his head when he looked down at his straw, which was probably the shortest in the group.

"I'm sorry." Jacob said, looking down into Piper's ears.

She half smiled, "You're so unlucky, Jake."

"I know. I'm really sorry."

"Don't apologize." She said, leaning up and brushing her lips against his.

"So, it's Jacob, Quil, and me." Jared said, looking around the room.

"Actually, I'll cover for Jacob." Paul spoke up, "Kathy needs to get home anyways, and I'm sure Piper wants some time with him."

Piper looked over at her brother and smiled widely, as she ran over and hugged him. "Thank you so much!" She whispered into his ear.

He chuckled, and nodded his head. He looked over and gave Jacob a nod, as Piper walked back over to him and linked her hands with him. Jared, Quil, and Paul said goodbye to their girls before retreating back out into the forest.

"I need to stop by and tell Dad what's going on, but then I'll go to your house, okay?"

"Okay. Can I stop by and see Billy as well?"

"Of course. Come on." He said, taking her by the hand.

He pulled her close to him as they walked down the quiet roads of the reservation. Every so often he would glance over at her and smile. She would smile back. She couldn't believe that she and Jacob had come so far in such a short time. She really did love him. He was honestly her everything.

Jacob walked in through the front door, and Piper walked in behind him. She could hear some sort of sports game playing in the living room. Jacob looked over and saw his dad in the wheel chair by the television. Billy turned himself around and smiled at the young couple.

"How'd it go?" He asked, thankful his son was in one piece.

"Good, though the leader vampire escaped. The weird psychic Cullen said she would be back, so I guess we'll be at it again before too long. You okay?"

"I'm fine. Sue brought over some dinner. Are you gonna come home tonight?" Billy asked.

"I'm not sure." Jacob stated, "If you need me call Piper's house."

"Sure, sure. Have fun, son."

Piper smiled and saw where Jacob got his famous catch phrase. They held hands as they walked back towards Piper's house together. She was really hoping that they finally got to spend some time together. She was fighting sleep at the moment, but she didn't care. She was going to get her time with Jacob
♠ ♠ ♠
Image