Snake Bite Heart With a Bubble Gum Smile

Chapter16

We're standing outside the house. Alex is fiddling with his key ring, trying to find the house key. Jack keeps knocking the key ring from Alex's hand, laughing when Alex has to restart his search.

If Jack weren't so cute, I'd be pissed.

But he's just so cute when he does it. He's like a little kid in an attractive twenty-one year olds body. I don't think I've been so attracted to anyone in my life. I normally don't care about how guys look, or guys in general. He's just something else. I like him, yet I know nothing about him. This may make me shallow.

I still think his nose is large though.

I'm sure the general public would agree.

Alex unlocks the door, finally. He pushes the door open and steps aside.

"Ladies first," he says.

I smile and walk past him. It's dark in the house. I'm sure we left the hall light on before we left. Our parents should still be at work. I feel around the wall in the pitch black. The light switch is somewhere on the wall, I know it.

"You're touching the wrong wall," Alex states.

Well I feel stupid.

I haven’t been in this house for ages; of course I don't where the light switch is.

Alex flips the light on. Confetti, streamers and balloons cloud my vision.

"Surprise," a large group of people yells.

What the fuck is going on?

"So we decided to throw you a 'Welcome Home' party for Thanksgiving. We’ll have a Thanksgiving dinner with just the family later," Alex slings an arm over my shoulder.

My eyes travel the room. Mom and dad are standing in the center of the larger group. Two of our cousins are here with their husbands and babies, whom I do not know. Our grandparents from our father's side are smiling at me. The rest of the crowd is unrecognizable to me.

Grandmother walks over to me and embraces me in a hug. I don't know how react. I've only met my grandparents from both sides once. She releases me, still smiling. I smile back, unsure. Conversations are held by the guest of the party.

"Alex, who are all of these people?" I ask.

"Some friends and Jack's, Rian's, and Zack's parents," he replies.

Why?

"Come meet my parents," Jack yells, grabbing my arm.

"Jack," Alex growls.

"Shut the fuck up, Alex," Jack replies and drags me to a couple talking to my parents.

"Dad, mom, this is August. She's Alex's sister," Jack introduces.

I think I know where he gets his nose from. Now to explain his skunk-hair.

"We know who she is, Jack," his mother says to him. She turns to me, "It's nice to meet you, August. We've heard plenty about you."

"From who?" I ask.

Who knows enough to tell you "plenty"? As far as I know, no one here knows anything.

"You're parents. They were so devastated when you ran away," she explained.

I nod politely and hold my tongue.

Devastated? I'm so fucking sure. Devastation requires them to care about me. They never cared in the first place. I doubt they care now.

Why did they throw me a party? They should know I hate large gatherings. I've written about my social issues in my journal. They've read my journal. Do they want me to be uncomfortable? Do they think they're doing me a favor?

"Can I go to my room?" I whisper to my parents.

They nod.

I walk to the stairs. A hand grabs my wrist. I turn to look at its owner. Jack has a firm hold on my wrist. Not too tight but not light enough to let me up the stairs.

"Where are you going?" he asks.

"My room," I answer.

"You can't do that. This party is for you."

"I hate parties."

"That's too damn bad. Come on; let's go sit in the kitchen and talk."

I look in his chocolate brown, Labrador eyes. My heart melts.

"Sure thing, skunk-head," I say.

"Skunk-head?"

It slipped.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for youmakemylifebright. (who commented twice), sarah3044, erinx3, turtlesonfire, Running For Cover, deekayyx0, Midnight_Monster, poprockprincess, and xoNatasha5xo.
Thank you for the comments.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
I know I'm posting this earlyish in the morning for me but I have band today and I wouldn't have time otherwise.
It had to be posted today because I got a lot of comments.
So I hope you enjoy.
Comment?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste