Status: Complete.

Hurricane

Kisses On The Necks Of Best Friends

July 2005

I was a bit disappointed when I woke up about an hour later and Pete was gone. But I was also surprised that my bedroom door was still closed. I would have thought my mom would have reopened it. I stood from my bed and stretched before making my way for the door. When I opened, I jumped and almost screamed when I saw Pete standing on the other side. He smiled at me.

“Did I scare you?” he asked. I nodded my head.

“I thought you had left,” I said.

“No,” he said. “I was just talking to your mom. Besides, I would never leave without saying goodbye first.”

“Oh,” I said. “What were you talking to my mom about?”

“You,” he said, moving past me and into my room. I turned around and watched as he went over to my bed and sat down. I closed my door and went to sit next to him. I looked at him and he stared back. I was waiting for him to continue.

“Well?” I said.

“Well what?” he asked.

“Why were you talking to my mom about me?” I asked.

“It’s nothing to worry about,” Pete said. “She was just worried about you. I told her that you just needed some space.”

“Oh,” I said. It was quiet. “Thank you.”

Pete smiled at me before standing up.

“I should get going,” he said.

“Yeah,” I said, standing up as well. We didn’t move for a moment and then I was hugging Pete. He returned it quickly. “Thank you for coming.”

He pulled away slightly so that he could look at me.

“What are friends for?” he said, grinning at me. “Don’t forget that you can talk to me, either.”

“I know,” I said. He pulled me closer to him again, hugging me tightly.

“Try not to freak out your mom again either,” he said. I felt his breath on my neck as I laughed lightly.

“I’ll try not to,” I said. I jumped slightly when I felt Pete’s lips on my neck suddenly. And just as quickly as they were there, they were gone and Pete was letting go of me and walking to my bedroom door.

“See you tomorrow, Molly,” Pete said, opening the door.

“Bye,” I said quietly, still slightly shocked. My neck felt tingly and I placed my hand where Pete’s lips had been just moments before. My mom came up to my room a few minutes later and I was still standing in my room in a daze.

“Are you okay, Molly?” she asked. I looked at her and smiled.

“Yeah,” I said. She smiled back at me before leaving the room.

--------------------------------

When I got downstairs the next morning, Pete was already there. I smiled when I saw him. My mom was also waiting with Pete. I assumed Pete had wanted to talk to her again, about what I didn’t know.

“Morning, honey,” my mom said when she saw me. “I have to go now. I’ll see you later.”

She gave me a quick hug before leaving. Pete and I were alone now.

“Ready to go?” I asked Pete after my mom had left.

“I’m ready,” he said. “I just don’t think you’re ready yet though.”

I gave him a confused look.

“I’m pretty sure I’m ready to go,” I said.

“Well, if you want to wear that on our date tonight, then I guess that’s up to you,” Pete said. I stared at him for a moment as what he said sank in.

“Wait,” I said. “What?”

“Well, I guess what I’m trying to say,” Pete said. “Is do you want to go on a date tonight?”

“A date?” I asked.

“Yeah,” Pete said. We were both silent. I wasn’t sure what to say. I was still trying to comprehend it. Then Pete was speaking. “I’ll understand if you don’t want to go on a date with me. I just thought—”

“No,” I said, speaking up. “No, I’ll go on a date with you.”

“Really?” Pete asked, grinning at me. I nodded my head, smiling at him.

“Yeah,” I said. “Do I need to dress up?”

“No,” Pete said. “I just think you might want to wear something that isn’t basically pajamas.”

“Okay,” I said. “Just give me a minute.”

“We’re not going out until tonight,” Pete said. “So you can just bring the clothes to change into later.”

“Sounds good,” I said, smiling some more. As I went to my room, I felt both nervous and excited to go on a date with Pete. A date. I couldn’t even remember the last time I went on a date, which just made me more nervous. But this was Pete—and that thought comforted me. If this was a date with anyone other than Pete, then I would probably be more nervous. At least Pete already knew me, which would make things easier. Hopefully.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are appreciated. :]
~Sally