Corner of the World

The Ring

Thanks to traffic the taxi drops me off at our latest venue 30 minutes after fashionably late. I practically shove the money in the cab driver's face as I run out.

"Is everything okay?" Seb asks worriedly, "What'd the doctor say?"
"Everything's fine," I shake my head, "Just goddamn traffic."

"Okay, well something happened to some of our equipment."
"What happened?"
"That's what we're trying to figure out, but basically you won't have your Fender tonight, only your Ibanez."
"What?!" I exclaim as I start to freak out, "I need my Fender."
"Its only for tonight, if by tomorrow they haven't found your bass and Evan's guitars we'll go down to a music store and replace them."
"I can't."
"Its just a Fender, they sell them everywhere!"
"My wedding ring is sewn onto the inside of the strap of my Fender!"
"Oh shit." he says bluntly.

He grabs me by the shoulders and looks me in the eyes.
"Jackie listen, its just a chunk of metal. Symbolic maybe but its just another materialistic piece of junk. You can't bring it with you when you die!" I stare blankly at him and my eyes start welling up with tears. Stupid hormones.

"Do you love me?" he asks, I nod, "I love you too and that's all that matters."
"Right, you're absolutely right." I say calming down, "We have a show to play, gotta have my wits about me."
"Here." he says taking the chain with his ring from his neck and putting it around me.

The next morning my missing bass and Evan's missing guitars arrive and the second they do I rip the seams holding my ring to my strap and put my ring securely on my ring finger where I know its safe. I give Seb back his ring and chain as soon as I did so.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I took so long to post and its such a short chapter but more will be up soon.