Sequel: Finally Free Tonight

Wild as an Elephant's Child

I Don’t Know, Maybe I’ll Be Back Someday After My Holiday

Basically the whole town was down on the shores of Pyramid Lake to celebrate the end of summer as was traditional to Sutcliffe. There was the group of us who had know each other our whole lives plus Tom, a few relatives of the local kids who sometimes stayed with them and a lot of the parents from around town too.

There was only few days until the summer holidays were over, when all the younger kids that hung out with our group would be heading back off to school and us older kids would either go back to our jobs or fly out for University so we were making the most of us all being there by having a party.

Everything was in full swing, some of us dancing and chatting out under the fairy lights we’d hung from the over-hanging trees next to the table set up with drinks, food and the stereo, Jerry Anderson has brought his pride and joy, the only jet boat in town, out to give some of the younger ones a ride and then the older kids were playing a game of football on the clearest piece of land they could find.

It was so peaceful watching the sun set over the lake, the calming hues of pinks and oranges reflecting off the lake surface and distorting as the water rippled.

I was helping out with the barbeque when Tom came over and slipped his arms around my waist.

“You want to go for a walk?” he asked softly, right beside my ear. I turned to look at him slightly and then nodded with a smile. I stripped off my apron and then let his take my hand and we walked down right to the waters edge.

I looked over at Tom, playing almost nervously with the hem of my floral dress. His face was slightly clouded over as he was trying to think.

“It’s so beautiful down here at this time of the night,” I remarked into the silence, marveling at view.

“It is,” he agreed.

“It’s really nice having everyone together before we all go off on our separate ways, isn’t it?” I asked glancing back over my shoulder at the group of people behind us.

“Yes,” he replied.

“I really hope…” I started.

“Cassie,” Tom interrupted, coming to halt and forcing me to stop with him. It was only when I looked into his eyes that I realized I’d been babbling because I knew exactly what was coming next. “I’m leaving Sutcliffe,” he said simply.

I’d been dreading this moment the whole time, hoping that it would never happen. Maybe it was because I’d hoped and wished on too many stars that he would never leave Sutcliffe that he was now doing exactly what I’d hoped he wouldn’t.

Although deep down I always knew he would. He’d been running from Sutcliffe his whole life so why would he stay here only because of me?

“When?” I asked in a choked voice.

“A week from now,” he said sadly brushing his long brown hair out of his face.

The sound I made was a mix between a gasp and a sob. I had to let go of Tom’s hand to hide my face in mine. I felt him wrap his arms around me, crushing my arms against his chest, and his head resting on top of mine.

“Why? What are you running away from this time?” I mumbled against his t-shirt.

“I’m not running, I’m just leaving. You know me Cassie, you know I don’t like to stay in one place for any longer then I have to,” he said rubbing my back softly.

We stood hugging like that for what seemed like hours.

“I thought you’d want to stay,” I said finally, pulling away slightly.

“Because of you?” he asked gently. I nodded. “I thought about it but I can’t. I can’t change what I’ve been used to my whole life. I want to be with you, but I can’t stay here…” his voice trailed off. He searched my face for a few seconds as if he was deciding something.

“I want you to come with me, Cassie,” he said at long last.

I stared at him in shock.

“I can’t Tom, I’ve got to stay here and help my family with the shop,” I said too quickly, without even thinking about it. His face fell quicker then I could say ‘sorry’.

“Is that your final decision?” he asked seriously.

I stared into his brown eyes, thinking about us. Then slowly without my permission my head nodded, up and down. He nodded in return, the wall I’d tried so hard to bring down had gone up again, his face wasn’t as soft anymore and was almost bitter.

“I’d better go then, I might see you around sometime,” he said distantly, before turning away from me without even glancing back and walking off down the lake front.

I stood, frozen like a statue watching his back disappearing off into the distance, a strangled cry escaping my throat. He’d changed me; he’d made me realize life wasn’t all planned out for you and that everything could change. He made me want to explore things.

I was torn between helping my family and going with the boy I’d just realized I’d fallen in love with.

“Tom!” I yelled finally. He turned slowly, as if he wasn’t sure he was imagining things. I ran over the stones as quickly as I could towards him, slipping and stumbling a few times as I went. I practically fell into him, his arms reaching out to catch and steady me as I stopped.

“I’ve changed my mind!”
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is just like the prequel for a story I'm going to finish off that goes after this about Cassie and Tom traveling together. But only this part will be judged in the competition I mentioned in the summary.

The 'sequel' to this will be a different story :)

But I hope you liked this!

Gen
xxx