Status: In progress! That's right! I'm back!

That Last Little Spark

Seventy Two

Jess couldn’t hear Kelsey or Chloe talking over the sound of the hair dryer, and by the time her hair was dry, the conversation had ended, Chloe was out of the shower, and Kelsey was just getting in.

It was organized chaos in the suite, as another series of knocks sounded on the door. Erica’s nieces...technically first cousins once removed, but calling them her nieces made it easier for everyone to understand...13 year old Jenna and 11 year old Lia, were standing there, with identical hairstyles. Her youngest niece, 6 year old Katrina, was with them, her hair curled in tiny ringlets. Her very pregnant cousin was behind them.

“How’s Baby Number Four coming, Sara?” Ashleigh asked sympathetically.

“Coming out today. I started having contractions last night but he or she was being stubborn and refused to make an appearance so I’m actually going to the hospital to induce labor. So Erica, I just wanted to say congratulations and that I love you.” Sara smiled and held out a bouquet of orange honeysuckle flowers as Erica kissed her cheek.

“I love you too. But who’s going to be at the hospital with you?” Erica asked.

“I am. Congratulations, Erica.” Erica’s aunt Elizabeth, Sara’s mom, appeared in the doorway.

“Thanks aunt Elizabeth.” Erica kissed her cheek as well.

“Who knows, maybe it won’t take that long and I’ll come to the wedding.” Sara joked.

“You don’t have to. We’ll have pictures and tapes to show you.” Erica smiled, noticing that Sara winced a little. “I think Baby Number Four is trying to tell you something.” she added.

“I think so too. Alright, girls. I’ll see you later, okay? If it’s not too late, your father will bring you three to the hospital to see me and your little brother or sister. You be good for aunt Erica, alright?” Sara asked of her daughters.

“Yes mom.” the older girls chorused.

“Okay mommy. Bye baby brother or sister!” Katrina waved at her mommy’s stomach. Elizabeth closed the door after the three girls ran inside.

“Can we get dressed yet?” Katrina asked Jess...as she was the closest person to her.

“Sorry, Katrina, but we all can’t get dressed for a little while.” Jenna picked up her youngest sister.

“Why?” Katrina asked.

“The wedding doesn’t start until later.” Jenna explained.

“But I wanna put my dress on now” Katrina whined.

“But Katrina, you don’t want to get your dress all dirty, do you? If you put it on now, it might get dirty before the wedding.” Lia piped up.

“Oh. Okay!” her little face brightened again and Jenna put her down.

“Lia, if you want, you can take her into the other room and turn on the TV or put in a movie or something.” Erica suggested.

“Okay!” Katrina pulled on Lia’s hand and the two of them disappeared into the other room, followed by Jenna.

“You think you’ll ever have kids?” Chloe asked of Erica when they heard the sounds of a kids channel playing quietly.

“Aaron and I have talked about it, and we want to wait for awhile to settle down.” Erica said as she sat down on the bed closest to the makeup and hair stations. In a chair in front of a mirror, Trisha was beginning to work on Chloe’s hair create her updo: a complicated knot with long pieces trailing down here and there, and Madison was just starting on Ashleigh’s hair, which was going to be pulled back away from her face and curled with three silver decals holding it back on one side.

Another knock sounded on the door.

“I got it!” Erica jumped up to answer it and was greeted by two more women in black dress shirts and nice pants.

“We are so sorry, Erica. People decided that today was a great day to not drive correctly and then I got stuck in a traffic jam coming over the bridge to pick up Jamie.” the first woman apologized profusely, breathing like she had just run a mile. The second woman, Jamie, nodded as she tried to catch her breath.

“Zoey, Jamie, it’s fine. Actually, you showed up at the right time.” Erica stepped back and allowed Zoey and Jamie to enter the room.

“The bridge is still backed up?” Madison asked in disbelief, curling another part of Ashleigh’s hair.

“Nobody wanted to move for anything! It was like some mass memo went out to forget how to drive or something.” Zoey began to set up her curling iron and straightener, along with pins and hairspray. Jamie did the same thing...but with makeup, putting her things on the desk that the girls had cleared everything off of last night. When they were ready, they turned to the three remaining girls.

“Who’s next?” Zoey asked brightly.

“My hair is the most complicated.” Erica looked over at Kelsey and Jess.

“Mine’s not as complicated, but it’s still a pain in the ass. I guess it’s you.” Kelsey looked at Jess, who shrugged in response and sat down in the chair.

“This one, right?” Zoey slid the picture out of the clear divider in the binder that Erica had all of her wedding details in. Jess’ hairstyle really was less complicated: a small bun at the crown of her head with curls cascading down.

“That’s the one.” Jess nodded in confirmation.

“Are you nervous?” she asked Erica after watching her fidget on the bed.

“I just want to see him so bad.” Erica confessed.

“Well, to keep your mind off of things, let’s go over your basic wedding traditions. Something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue?” Jess asked.

“My great grandma’s diamond earrings are old, my dress is new, my necklace and bracelet are going to be borrowed, and...the bow on my underwear is blue.” Erica replied with a smile.

“Sexy.” Ashleigh teased.

“Don’t let her fool you. She’s got a corset. That’s what the blue bow is on.” Jess winked.

“You do not!” Kelsey’s jaw dropped open.

“I don’t!” Erica exclaimed.

“Sure you don’t.” Chloe winked.

“And you all tell me I have a dirty mind.” Erica rolled her eyes. It was like being in the club on a Friday night...everyone making fun of each other and laughing. “The ribbon in my garter is blue, too, so I think I’m covered.” she added.

“All done! Next?” Madison smiled and stepped back as Ashleigh stood up to admire her hair. She looked at her reflection in the mirror, smiling.

“It’s perfect.” she nodded at Madison.

“Kelsey, you’re up.” Madison flipped a page in the binder to the picture of the hairstyle Kelsey had wanted. As soon as Kelsey verified that that was the correct picture, Madison went to work.

“Alright, who wants to go first for makeup?” Jamie asked.

“Ashleigh, since you’re the only one done at the moment.” Erica nodded. Chloe was almost done, but her hairstyle had to be done just right or it would look horrible, so Trisha was trying to take her time.

“How’s our time?” Jess asked as she felt Zoey stick the last pin into her hair.

“It’s almost noon!” Erica gasped when she looked at the clock. “Oh my god, what if we run out of time?” she exclaimed.

“Erica, calm down. We have until one thirty. We will get everyone done and dressed and ready.” Jess, who hadn’t had a chance to look at her hair yet, knelt in front of the anxious bride.

“I’m ready for you, Erica.” Zoey nodded. Erica hurried over to the chair and sat down.

“Aunt Erica? We’re hungry.” Lia and Katrina wandered out from the other room.

“I’ll take them down to get something.” Jess volunteered, seeing the worried look on Erica’s face.

“Jenna? Are you hungry?” Erica called into the other room.

“No, I ate before we left the house!” she called back.

“You sure you don’t want anything?” she asked.

“No thanks, I’m fine!” Jenna replied.

“Come on, girls.” Jess turned to Lia and Katrina. Katrina held up her arms to be picked up. With one arm supporting Katrina on her hip and Lia holding her free hand, Jess disappeared into the hall.

“I give it two weeks before Bam pops the question.” Ashleigh smirked as soon as they were positive that Jess was gone.

“I’ll bet you $20 that he proposes by the end of the week.” Kelsey spoke up, standing up from the chair and pulling a twenty out of her pocket.

“Oh, you’re on.” Ashleigh shook her hand with a grin.

-

And nobody knew it, but while Bam was driving up to the city, with April, Phil, and Jess’ aunt in the cars behind his, he couldn’t help but glance down every so often...at a small, velvet box that rested on the console.
♠ ♠ ♠
And it doesn't take that many brain cells to figure out what's in that box.

This is the end of the pre-typed chapters, which means it's also the end of me being able to cut and paste and post multiple chapters in one sitting. Four updates in one day, however, doesn't sound bad to me.

However, I can already tell you that I probably won't have another update for a few days while trying to think of more wedding day details...along with the ceremony and reception after that.