Status: Complete.

Ghost of You

23 : A Heart Part 2

"Guys, I'm fine,” I whined as Mrs. Listing tucked the covers in around me.

“It's okay, sweetheart. It's been a long day. Just get some rest,” Mrs. Listing said gently, leaning down to kiss my forehead.

I sighed and thumped my head back against my pillow. Mr. Listing stood leaning against the door frame, his arms crossed over his chest. He smiled as his wife gave him a peck on the cheek before continuing out of the room.

“Goodnight, Tom,” Mr. Listing said, uncrossing his arms and switching off the top light.

I stared out at the moon through the window, its shine brightening the treetops around the house. I breathed in deeply, letting out the breath with a small hiss.

“It was you, wasn't it?”I whispered, turning my head to face him. “You were at the door with the bag. You burned down the house.” I narrowed my eyes at him. “Why?”

He shrugged, stroking my cheek with a black fingernail. “Because,” he whispered, his breath warm against my cheek.

“That's not an answer,” I whispered back, my eyes studying his face, his darkened eyes. “And where have you been?” I demanded as he propped himself up on his elbow. “Why haven't you been here?”

“I have been,” he whispered.

“You weren't when Gordon...” I held a sob underneath my breath, turning my head to face away from him as my stomach churned uneasily.

“I was. Until he started... I couldn't watch,” he said, putting his head on the pillow next to mine.

I sat up suddenly and glared at him. “Then why didn't you make him stop?” I hissed. “Why did you let him do that to me?”

Bill squeezed closed his eyes, sighing. “It's not that easy, Tomi.”

“It is,” I nearly shouted.

He sat up, staring sternly at me. “In case you've forgotten,” he hissed, his voice low, “you're the only person that seems to be able to see me. What could I have done? Tossed a sheet over my head and spooked him? That sure would've worked,” he said, his tone sarcastic.

“You could've killed him like you killed Carl,” I snapped, my tone harsh.

Bill's eyes flashed like lightning, his hands balling into fists. “I told you, I didn't kill Carl.

“Then who did? Who in this world, other than myself, looks identical to you?”

Bill leaned back again, pulling me to his chest. I let my head rest on him, shuddering as I listened for the heartbeat that wasn't there.

“I don't know,” he whispered so low I almost didn't understand what he had said. “I only heard what you told those police officers. And then... then Carl found me.”

I looked up, focusing my eyes on his face, now illuminated by the moon. “He did?” I whispered. “How?”

“Souls are sorted a bit late. They wander for a while, and then you may never see them again. They may be in Heaven, in Hell, stuck in between like me, or maybe in Fallen Shadows with your carnie friend.”

I snuggled back against his chest, shutting my eyes and sighing. “You know about him?” I asked. “How?”

“Because I'm always with you, Tom. Even if you can't see me, I can see you. When I close my eyes, the only person I see is you. It's odd, and I don't know why it happens. Sometimes I try to focus in on another person, but it doesn't work. I normally have to go searching for them myself. With you it's different.”

“Have you ever been to... Fallen Shadows? Is that what you called it?”

Bill shook his head, his hand stroking my back. “I can't go. It's not where my soul belongs. My soul belongs lost here, where it's been.”

“Will you ever get to Heaven?” I whispered, tears threatening my eyes.

Bill sighed. “I don't know. I may, or may not. If I'm offered, I won't go.”

“But you have to,” I protested sternly.

Bill smirked, but it faded quickly. “No. I'm not ready to leave you.”

“I'm not ready for you to leave me, either, but you've seem to be doing a pretty good job of it for a while now,” I snapped.

“Shh, that's enough talking. Get some rest,” he whispered, reaching down to pull the comforter up around my shoulders.

“Will you be here when I wake up?” I whispered, watching his face, his eyes dancing behind his closed eye lids.

He put his index finger to his lips and wrapped his arms tightly around me.

“I hope that means yes,” I said before shutting my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two chapters for your liking. ^-^

Comments would be amazing, guys. <3

Shout-out to Shed Your Yellow for being the 200th commenter! Woot! :D

:EDIT: Okay, I'm still going to be away for a few days, but I thought I would just throw some stuff into the author's notes so the status for the story wouldn't get too long.

Ghost of You has been entered into the Watty Awards :) I appreciate the votes if you would. If you put up a story, I'll return the favor.

I also made a book trailer for Ghost of You. Check it out?