Status: Hold.

The Wal-Mart List

The List

Friday would seem so short in time but to me, it’s long. I always wanted the weekend to come but the anticipation would always kill me and I would have to wait forever for the last bell to ring and I can taste the freedom that’s called the weekend. I didn’t have any plans to do anything so it was going by kind of fast. Until my best guy friend Matthew came up to me at lunch with a piece of paper in his hand instead of a tray full of food.

“The Wal-Mart list.” he announced when he arrived at the table we usually sat at. Matthew and I were always the only ones there until about 10 minutes into lunch because Hailey and Jacob would always make out in the halls until some teacher came and broke them up, while Brooke had a bitchy teacher to deal with and Madison would stay by the lunch line until some cute boy would buy her lunch, then she would come to our table with a new guy everyday.

“Excuse me?” I raised my pierced, right eyebrow at him. He rolled his eyes and put the piece of paper in front of me. I picked up the paper and scanned it. It was numbered to 16 and it was titled The Wal-Mart List, hence what making Matthew say make sense. I looked at the sheet and then back at him. He was grinning like a 6 year old on Christmas morning, His brown hair coving one of his blue eyes.

“What about this list.” I put down the piece of paper and took a bite out of my sandwich. He picked up the piece of paper, folded it up and put if in its pocket. He sat down across from me.

“Soph, we are doing that list tomorrow, so don’t make any plans.” I stared at him with disbelief. No way, was I going to do that list and all its weird dares, it would get us kicked out.

“No.” I stated and took another bite out of my sandwich. He frowned at me.

“Yes, you are. You have to.” he said. I shook my head no, causing my black hair to make a curtain in front of my brown eyes. He looked at me and started to nod his head. I could still see his piercing blue eyes looking at me because my hair was thin and didn’t make a good shield.

“No, I’m not, Matthew. Not now, not tomorrow, not ever.” I said, holding an emphasis on ever to make myself clear. He looked at me with hurt in his eyes. He liked to call this his puppy dog eyes, which always made me give into him, which I didn’t really know how since I was always a hard egg to crack but not when it came to the puppy dog face. Several minutes pasted and I couldn’t take my eyes off of him or his puppy dog face.

“Fine.” I said giving up in defeat. “Whatever you want, but don’t come crying to me when we get kicked out of Wal-Mart, your favourite place in the whole wide world.” I signed taking another bite of my sandwich. Matthew got out of his seat and started to jump up and down. I started to laugh and then chocked on my sandwich. I took a sip of my ice tea and tried to calm myself down. I felt people’s eyes on me, on the scene that was happening. I quickly stopped chocking and looked at Matthew, who was still jumping around and people still gawked at him. I started to laugh again, even if I was in a bad mood he would find a way for me to smile. That’s why I loved Matthew; he didn’t care what other people thought of him, only if he was having a good time.

After Matthew stopped jumping up and down he went to go stand in line for food. Matt and I have been friends since grade 4, when he moved here and I and he were forced to sit beside each other. I never minded sitting beside him because when he stepped through the doors of the classroom, even before Ms. Daniels said his name, I had a crush on him. Even thought its always been a harmless crush, even though I’m attracted to Matthew, I over look it so I won’t get jealous when he introduced me to one of his new girlfriends -not a girl whose a friend like me but a girlfriend- which is almost every week. I wouldn’t mind being one of them but then it would have only lasted for about a week, but just the thoughts of kissing him made my palms sweaty and get butterflies in my stomach.

6 years later after our first meeting we are still the best of friends, even if a lot of my elementary school friends are fickle and don’t talk to me anymore, only if its important or school related or even if they want to hook up with Matthew, Pfft as if I’m going to let that happen.

Matthew and Madison came back with a tray in each hand and sat down with me. I always felt self-conscious when no one was sitting with me. I always felt people would stare at me and think the worst of me.

“Hey Sophie.” she said. I smiled back and said hey back to her.

I eyed Madison’s chocolate pudding. She must have seen me eyeing it, because she giggled and put it on my tray. I smiled in victory and started to dig in to my chocolaty treat while Matthew and Madison started talking about the schools barbeque next week.

***

Why don’t you say so?

I think I’m caught in between

The nights and days fly by when I’m lost on the streets

And my eyes-


My ringtone, Poppin Champagne by All Time Low, started to go off indicating that I got a new text message from Matthew. I opened up my cell phone and read the text message.

Meet me @ WM @ 2pm. Bring 20 $$$ -Matthew.

I reread the message over and over again. Why would I need 20 dollars for? Was I actually going through this? Of course I was. No matter what the crazy thing he did, we always did them together. We always get the ‘are you two a couple?’ he would always smile and politely answer ‘no.’ so I assumed he didn’t like me that way but I never said anything. I sighed and closed my phone, at least tomorrow would be a day I would never forget.
♠ ♠ ♠
A idea I was toying with (: