Status: Completed!

Living with a Heartache

Chapter Thirty: Tears

Brian’s POV

It was silent as I let my words sink in gradually into my parents and everything in the room. Jenny had overcome her shock and was eyeing my parents nervously as both of them looked slack jawed.

“Brian, I know this feeling comes to you quite a bit but erh, how do I put it,” stalled Mum as she eyed Dad apprehensively.

“Well frankly son, this love thing rarely works out, for you… at this age,” I answered straightforwardly. I grimaced slightly at his straight question, remembering the girls I once dated.

“Remember Olivia?” My dad replied sternly. I rolled my eyes, I walked in on her kissing another guy when I wanted to get some ice cream.

“How about Riley?” Mum tackled. I groaned and thought about how I had to break up with her because she wanted me to move to Switzerland to film some film.

“I get it,” I muttered. My parents look relieved, but I didn’t want to leave it just like that.

“But I never said I loved them,” I added softly. I saw Dad’s face soften, just a little.

“B…but you said that to Vanessa!” Mum stuttered, obviously dumbfounded at how sentimental I was becoming.

“Mum,” I started, staring blankly at her; “I said I wanted her to be my Valentine. I didn’t know she was a lesbian.” I snapped.

Mum looked desperately at Dad who furrowed his brow. Right on cue, a Doctor approached us and eyed us skeptically.

“Mrs. Dawson?”

“Miss. Dawson,” replied Jenny without hesitation. She didn’t seem to back down when my parents glared at her.

“Your daughter, Alexandra, yes, she’s fine now,” everyone heaved a sigh of relief, and I felt a huge boulder of weight being lifted off my shoulder and I let out a shaky breath. Everyone looked at me expectantly, but I kept on a straight face.

“What’s the damage?” Jenny asked, her brow crinkling with fear.

“Well, she was beat up pretty badly. We had to give her a few stitches on her head. She shows no sign of brain damage, but we’ll have to confirm that when she’s awake. And…” he trailed off and whispered into Jenny’s ears. Jenny’s breathing slowed down exceptionally, and she muttered if she could go see Alex.

“Yes, of course. Just don’t make too much noise.”

With that all of us- Jenny, my parents, Patrick, Penelope, Laura (Penelope’s mum) entered the hospital ward.

[2 hours later]

“Ma’am it’s almost the end of the visiting hours, you have to leave soon,” the doctor said, his head poking in. Jenny nodded slightly and looked at us forlonley.

“I’m sorry for bothering all of you, especially you Brian and Mr. and Mrs. Linkens,” she replied, looking at us earnestly. My parents had used the 2 hours to forgive about what happened to Alex and me, but not to forgive the fact that I was put into danger.

“Come on Brian, Patrick, I’ll give you guys a ride home,” Jenny mumbled as she grabbed her eyes and headed out the door.

“Just a moment Jenny, me and Deborah would like to talk to you,” Dad said as he hushed Jenny out of the room. I was left with Penelope and Patrick as Penelope’s mum went out too. Penelope looked dead tired, but stunning as usual as she laid her head on Patrick’s shoulder as Patrick looked glumly at Alex, who was lying peacefully on the bed.

All the sound was the steady beating sound of the heart rate monitor and Patrick’s soft sighing as he glanced over at me. My heart ached as I saw Alex lying on the bed, her head bandaged up and a large evident bruise on her cheek. Who knows how many more bruises she has on her skin.

I silently sat myself down on a chair next to the hospital bed and eyed the drip needle in Alex’s hand, and her cold and stony expression. I put my finger on her cheek and stroked it gingerly.

“I’m so sorry,” I whispered, as a tear slid down my face.

Penelope’s POV

I closed my eyes as I leaned on Patrick’s shoulder, I was about to fall asleep when Patrick gently nudged me. I looked up at him expectantly, his suit over my shoulders because it was getting cold in the room.

“Look,” he mouthed. Stunned, I looked up to see Brian stroking Alex’s cheek silently as a tears ran down his face.

“He’s crying,” I muttered to Patrick.

“Yeah, my best friend’s in good hands,” Patrick replied, kissing my forehead.

It was silent tears, but if a guy could cry over a girl who was bed-ridden in the hospital, I know, his heart belonged to her already. All that mattered was Alex’s safety, seeing her being hurt tore him apart as he tried to take it in slowly and like a man.

If Brian’s heart is already given to Alex, all it depended on now was if Alex wanted it or not.

Third Person POV

“We’re considering about leaving Brian here, seeing what he’s been through,” said Mrs. Linkens sighed, showing final signs of human in her as she glanced into the room through the single glass panel on the door. Jenny’s face lit up, but fell as she heard the next sentence.

“What if she rejects him honey?” muttered Mr. Linkens as he sighed and ran a hand through his salt and pepper hair.

“If Brian feels about Alexandra the way we think he’s feeling, we might leave him here. But currently, we’re still staying with the fact that we’re bringing him home with us, currently,” Mrs. Linkens said finally. Jenny’s face drooped down, she’d never met a boy who treated Alex the way Brian treated her. He cared for her, even if she didn’t like him. Suddenly, Mr. Linkens looked through the glass panel and gave a strangled gasp.

“What is it honey?” his wife said as she looked through the window.

“Oh my, he’s never cried before,” she whispered as she looked through the window. Jenny did a tiny little happy dance and she smiled like an idiot, watching Brian.

“I don’t know about you, but I think… he really likes this girl,” Jenny finally spoke. Both parents nodded and smiled as the scene unfolded beneath them.

“Well then, he’ll stay. Only, don’t tell him just yet. I want to see your daughter and see what she thinks about our decision,” Mrs. Linkens spoke- her voice laced with joy.
♠ ♠ ♠
hahahaa