Flip for Me

Regionals Pt. 1

Frank’s POV

Regionals. I am so excited I could scream. I began my day the same way I always do before a big competition. I drank Gatorade with my breakfast and jogged on the treadmill for five minutes just to get my blood going. The meet doesn’t start until noon, but I was at the gym by ten.

“You’re gonna hurt yourself practicing like that.” Pete laughed, walking slowly and quietly into the gym.

“I’m not taking any chances.” I grunted, flipping over one of the uneven bars and perfectly sticking the landing. “You know how many times I’ve hear about Gerard Way this month?!”

“I thought you were into him.”

“I am, but that doesn’t mean I want to lose to him.”

“Well, I guess that’s a satisfactory answer. I don’t want you to lose to him either. I might have to kick you out of the gym if you do.”

My face fell. Oh no, he did NOT! Pete laughed and pat my shoulder.

“I’m just teasing. Boy, you should have seen your face! I would never let a gem like you go if I could help it. Now, go get a drink and relax before the team gets here.”

I nodded and sat down with my water bottle. I was feeling great! I can’t wait for the meet to start. I’ll get to see Gerard Way in person instead of fantasizing about him via photo and PowerAde commercials. Really, God? Why did you have to make my mortal enemy so freakishly good-looking?

An hour later my team started showing up along with some other Sylvia Bryant alumni. I found a few of my old friends, Joey, Natalie, and Tiffany. Joey and I are really good friends. We actually dated for a long time a few years ago, but when he decided to go off for college we broke it off. I still love that kid to death, but not like I used to.

“Joey!” I screamed, jumping on my friend’s back.

“Oh my gosh, you’re going to kill me, Frank.” Joey laughed, setting me back on the ground.

“How have you been?! I miss you so much around here!”

I gave Joey a proper hug, our warm-up sweats swishing together. He and I sat down with our bags. Joey looks really good! Not exactly my style since he has light brown hair, blue eyes, and a trimmer figure, but still. I can see why he has a mostly female fan base. Well, his mum and her friends anyway.

“I’ve been great, but I’ve missed you too, Frankie! I can’t believe you’re still here at SBA, man.” Joey replied.

“I can’t believe you left me to go to school in Tennessee!” I grimaced.

“Oh, sweetie, you aren’t still dwelling on that are you?”

“No…”

Joey caught me off guard by leaning over and kissing me quickly. The second he pulled away I saw Gerard Way come into the gym. He caught my eye and glared at me. I rolled my eyes and looked back at Joey. He frowned and pat my hand.

“If you want to go out again we can.” He offered timidly.

“Um…” I stammered, thinking about Gerard and looking at Joey’s pouting face. “I’ll think about it.

I forced a smile and Joey nodded. I love him, I really do, but things just aren’t the way they used to be. However now is not the time nor Regionals the place to discuss such sentimental things. I had a meet to win.

Rachel came to the meet with her leg elevated on a folding chair. I felt so bad. I’ve barely seen her since she broke her ankle. She got a turquoise cast to match the SBA uniforms. I pulled a Sharpie out of my bag.

“Rachel, can I sign your cast please?” I pouted, kneeling by her.

“Of course, Frank!” She beamed, pulling her warm-ups up.

Right on her knee I wrote: ‘I am so sorry! ♥Frankie.’ I gave Rachel a hug and helped pull her pants leg back down.

“It wasn’t your fault, Frank.” She told me.

“Yes, it was!” I exclaimed. “I should have spotted you!”

“No, it’s not. I screwed up. I’ve been working on that move for weeks. I should have stuck it.”

“It’s both our faults then. Can we compromise with that?”

Rachel nodded. I smiled and gave her a high-five. Then someone tapped me on the shoulder to tell me I was next on balance beam.

“Good luck, Frank!” My team cheered.

Gosh, I love this sport.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm a new boy? And it's finally competition time! Yay!

Comment?

~AsHy