A Song for the Optimist

Last to Know

She just walked away
Why didn't she tell me
And where do I go tonight
This isn't happening to me
This can't be happening to me
She didn't say a word
Just walked away

You were the first to say, that we were not okay
You were the first to lie, when we were not alright
This was my first love,
She was the first to go,
And when she left me for you,
I was the last to know.


"You fucking son of a bitch!" I screamed. Brian and Michelle were right there in the hallway, making out. Both of them had their shirts off. Brian immediately pulled away and looked at me.

"Jamie, listen," he started.

"Don't give me your crap, Brian. You promised me you wouldn't do this again! And I believed you!" I yelled, cutting him off. He opened his mouth again, but I stopped him again. "Save your bull. I'm not going to let you sweet talk your way into letting me forgive you. " I turned around and left, slamming the door behind me. I headed straight home, fully focused on leaving HB for good this time. I arrived back at Matt's home. I saw a car in the driveway and assumed it was Matt's. It was too dark to see whose it was. I entered the house. I froze when I saw Zacky standing in the hallway. "Where's Matt?" I quietly asked.

Why didn't she tell me
Where to go tonight
She didn't say a word
She just walked away

You were the first to say, that we were not okay
You were the first to lie, when we were not alright
This was my first love,
She was the first to go,
And when she left me for you,
I was the last to know.


"He went out. I just got here and invited myself in. I figured you were home or something," he answered. I felt his eyes on me as I moved about, leaving Matt's keys and taking off my jacket and fedora. Zacky saw me glare at the fedora. "You found out, didn't you?" Zacky quietly asked me. I nodded, feeling tears well up in my eyes. He came over to me and hugged me. I let my tears go.

"You guys knew, huh?" I sobbed. I felt him sigh.

"Yeah. We didn't want to tell you because you seemed so happy to be back with Brian and we didn't tell Matt because we knew Matt would kill Brian the moment he found out." I pulled away just enough to look at Zacky.

"Why didn't you tell me? Screw if I'm happy. I'd rather have found out that way instead walking into him and Michelle about to freaking screw each other!"

"What are you going to do now?" Zacky questioned, obviously trying to avoid my question. I sniffed.

"I'm leaving. For good this time. I'm not coming back to Huntington except to visit Matt and you guys minus Brian," I answered, wiping away my tears. I saw hurt fill Zacky's green eyes.

"Don't go, Jamie. Not again. You just got here. And you can't keep running away every time things end badly with you and Brian," he said quietly.

"How can you expect me to stay and be around that asshole that keeps cheating on me?"

"Easy. Find someone to fix your broken heart."

"Zacky, how can you say that? I.... can't," I whispered.

"Sure you can. I'll show you," he whispered back. His lips met mine in a sweet and tender kiss. I instinctively kissed him back. The longer we kissed, the more I realized that I should've known Zacky had feelings for me all along. When I got together with Brian the first time, he wasn't as enthusiastic as the others. When Brian cheated on me the first time, Zacky was there for me along with Matt. The list goes on and on.

When we finally broke apart, I asked, "Why didn't you ever tell me?"

"You never gave me a chance to. I wasn't about to tell you when we first became friends because I didn't want to ruin our friendship. Then you got together with Brian and I wasn't about to go, 'Oh guess what? I love you.' And when you broke up with Brian, i wasn't going to tell you right after you got hurt like that. Then you left. And now when you came back, it didn't take you long to get back with Brian. Finally, now that you broke up with-" I cut him off with a kiss.

"You ramble too much, Zacky," I laughed before kissing him again

I'll be the first to say
That now I'm okay
And for the first time,
I've opened up my eyes

This was my worst love,
You'll be the first to go,
And when she leaves you for dead,
You'll be the last to know

I'll be the first to say
That now I'm okay
And for the first time,
I've opened up my eyes