Lanie

Chapter 25

We drove by several buildings and turn down several blocks. We nearly lost them a few times but Freddie managed to find them. They finally parked in front of a tall gray building and walked inside. Freddie parked the car nearby in case.

We followed them inside the building. Inside was like any other building except more boring. Kind of like the kind of building where you see people crammed inside cubicles.

They went to the desk and the lady nodded them off. As they went inside the elevator Freddie and I went up to the desk.

“Excuse me mam can you tell us where that couple is headed?” I asked in my innocent voice. From the corner of my eye I saw Freddie roll his eyes.

She stared at me with a raised eyebrow. “They are headed to the 10th floor of this building.”

“Thank you!” I smiled and walked off.

As soon as we got into the elevator Freddie looked at me. “What? It worked.”

He sighed and shook his head. While waiting in the elevator I slightly turned my head and looked at Freddie from the corner of my eye. I didn't notice until up close but his hair reminded me of a honey colored wheat field that just made me want to run my hands through them. What am I thinking?! I thought but ignored myself and moved lower to his face. His jaw looked stiff and the rest of his face was serious. I wonder what he's so worked up about. I thought to myself.

The doors dinged open and I gasped when I saw Jack and Jackie looking at us. “Well?” said Jackie with a raised eyebrow.

Dammit the lady at the desk probably warned them about us. I thought.“Well uh-”

Freddie cut me off. “I need you to tell me more about M.A.P”

Jackie sighed. “Freddie can we talk about this later? We have a meeting to go to.”

“I need to know.” he said glaring at her.

“Jackie why don't we let them join us in our meeting. We'll be discussing about it anyway.”

“But.” she said exasperated and sighed. “Let's go.”

I felt Freddie relax beside me and we followed them in the meeting.

Turns out it was the meeting was in the same room that Logan and I accidentally stumbled upon. Except now it was filled with people in business suits. The chubby man looked surprised when he saw me and Freddie come out from behind Jack and Jackie.

“Jackie what is this? What-”

Jackie put a hand up to stop the chubby man. “It's alright Mr Bearis. I think it's better if they know.”

He contemplated for a long moment and looked at the table full of the business suit people. “Alright.” he said and gestured to the floor. As Jackie and Jack sat in the only empty seats left.

“Does he expect us to sit on the floor?” I whispered to Freddie.

“I guess so.” he said with a straight face and sat on the floor his head leaning against the wall. I followed and sat beside him.

“This is a very important meeting.” Mr Bearis started. “I have been informed recently that M.A.P is currently on the move and I'm afraid they are getting worse.”

I've heard several gasps from the table and some people nodded. I looked at Freddie and I saw his fist clench.

“They have already kidnapped several children in the North and West area and I'm afraid they are coming closer to us. We have to train the kids harder and start the mission as soon as possible!” he hit his fist against the table causing me to flinch.

“Isn't it too soon Mr Bearis!” said a man from the table. “We already have a new bunch of students who started recently. Too send them off like that-”

“They won't be alone Lenny! We will send them off into groups making them less vulnerable and besides when the time comes we can always send the superior ranks.”

“What about their parents Mr Bearis?” said another man.

“We must send them. No matter what.” he said.

A rush of arguments bursted from everyone in the table. Mr Bearis trying to calm them down.

Then a sudden burst of electricity past through me and went all around the room causing the lights to flicker. Everyone stopped talking and looking around.

“Freddie calm down.” I said quickly patting his hand which caused me to feel a tiny shock.

Freddie finally noticed me and calmed down.

“And what are we supposed to do?” I asked confidently.

All the adults looked at me as if from the first time. Mr Bearis however looked at me straight in the eye and I noticed a sudden sad look in them. “I'm afraid were going to have to send you on a dangerous battle Marline Harix.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize to you all who waited many months for my update! My computer broke so I had to retype this chapter in a rush. I will make it up to you all somehow. and I thank you all for your amazing patience.
Comment and Subscribe. But you wont have too because I'd understand that you'd be angry at me. >,<