Sequel: A Healing Touch

It Rains When I Cry

Chapter Eight

Johnny, Ana, and Kaila headed off to get Angelique from the airport and Matt, Michelle and Brian went to the hospital. Gena was sitting with her lap top on the coffee table in front of her with the internet up. Zack sat a pot of coffee on the table and a bottle of whisky. Gena poured a cup of coffee and split a shot with the cup in front of Leana. The two of them were busy going through everything that they could find on Cara Applebaum. Zack and Jimmy were sitting at two other laptops trying to find something out about the family that had owned the house previously. Zack gave up after a while and spotted the piece of glass that was left on the table that had come from Ana’s dining room.

Ana was standing there pacing as she waited for the plane to land. She was worrying about Kaila now. Her mom had told her that it was possible that Kaila would have a gift or a curse, and she had told her that it could show up in the most drastic times. Johnny touched her arm and she calmed down and quit pacing and she smiled at the child that was resting her head on Johnny’s shoulder.

“I think she likes you Johnny.”

“She’s a sweet heart.” and Ana smiled lovingly at him. He smiled back at her and pulled her close and the three of them stood there together in one anothers arms as the plane finally began to unload.

“I love when my happiest visions come true.” Ana turned her head and saw her Nana walking towards them.

“NANA” she moved from Johnny and Kaila and hugged the older woman. “What vision?” she said when she pulled back.

“That one.” and Angelique nodded at Johnny who was walking toward them holding his girlfriends daughter.

“You were right Nana, he is special.”

“How special?”

“He broke my curse.”

“Good, remember what I told you.”

“I did, Nana, we need to talk about Kaila.”

“Of course”

“Oh before I forget Nana, this is Johnny, Johnny, this my Nana, Angelique.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“You as well young man.”

“Nana A.” and Kaila reached for the old woman. She took the child and smiled. The four of them collected Angelique’s bags and headed out to the car. Once they were in and in their seatbelts, Ana turned to her Nana.

“She had a vision this morning. She woke up from a dream. I need to know what to do to help her with them.”

“They’ll be difficult at first, sometimes it will be after something happened. But eventually they will come before something is too happen.”

“What did she see?”

“She said she dreamed that Val died.”

“She was in bed when we found out that she got worse, but Michelle knew before they left that Val was gone.”

“Val, the girl that got hurt?”

“Yeah, her boyfriend isn’t blaming me, but I blame myself. If they hadn’t been helping me…”

“Ana, honey it’s not your fault. Matt’s not blaming you because it’s our choice to help you.”

“But your risking your lives.”

“For a good reason.”

“You’re a good man Johnny.” He suddenly looked a little shy. They parked in Zack’s driveway ten minutes later and Angelique stood staring at the house beside it. She studied it for a moment. The sun would be up in about an hour.

“We’ll go over when the sun comes up Nana.”

“Yes, that’s fine.”

“ANA, thank god your back, you’re not gonna believe what we found online.” Gena said busting out the door.

“What?”

“About Cara.” Ana took off and went inside and Johnny shook his head and helped Kaila out and helped Angelique get her things.

“What is it?” Ana said as she sat on the floor in front of the lap top. She looked at it and back to Gena.

“There was a baby. A nineteen month old. I didn’t know because she never talked about it. She was kidnapped before they moved here. It was supposed to be a fresh start for her and her husband. The baby was never found, but evidence that it was dead was found. It took a lot of digging but I found out that there are people still looking for the babies killer. That’s why she had a crib. She had a baby and she had to be hoping that one day her baby would come back to her.”

“And that’s not all. That glass that Johnny found. It belonged to a dish that was one of a kind. It was made for Cara’s child. An old fashioned wash bowl with pitcher. It had been a gift to her from her mother to place in the babies room as a decoration. I found some lettering on one of the sides of the glass. It looked like part of a name so I typed the letters into google and found it.” Jimmy said. Ana looked at them.

“Wait a nineteen month old… Oh god, the attic…”

“What about the attic?” Leana asked.

“I have a bad feeling about this.”

“Hey guy’s what’s wrong?” Johnny said when he walked in. Ana looked at him and to the child in his arms.

“She can’t stay here. She needs to get away from that house.”

“What’s wrong my Ana?” Angelique asked.

“It’s not safe for her. I think I know what we’re gonna find in that attic. Maybe Megan will take her.”

“I thought Megan was gonna help us?” Gena said.

“Shit you’re right.”

“My parents believe that we’re not crazy, they’ll watch her.” Zack said. Ana turned to him.

“Just for a day or two.”

“Ana, we can’t all keep staying here with Zack and Gena, we will for the next two days, then will you come stay with me? You, Kaila, and Angelique?”

“Yes” Jimmy rolled his eyes at Johnny.

“We don’t go over there until Matt, Brian and Michelle get back.” Gena said.

“You don’t need to go over at all.” Angelique told her. They all turned to her.

“Why?”

“I think you know why.” The older woman said and Gena looked at her.

“Okay… Nana stop being all weird…Guys this is my Nana Angelique, Nana, Jimmy and Leana, and Zack and Gena. She’s not crazy you guys.” Ana added on but she was looking at her Nana like she was.

“Uhm…I don’t know why.” Zack looked at Gena for a moment. He knew his girlfriend better than she did sometimes. He thought for a moment and then slid down in front of her computer to check something. The others walked outside to let them talk and looked up at the sky as the sun rose.

“Zack, c’mon, I would know if I’m pregnant.”

“Gena, with everything that’s going on I think you should just make sure, I mean look I know you, you mark your period on your calendar.”

“But…I…I’m going to the store.” Zack laughed as she grabbed the closest set of keys. She glanced down at them when she got outside. “Johnny I’m borrowing your car.” And before he could say anything in response she was in his car and gone.

“Where the hell is she going?” Johnny asked as Zack walked out.

“The store.”

“I’m sorry I shouldn’t have said anything.” Angelique said.

“No it’s alright. She’ll be fine.” Brian and the others showed up moments later and were followed by Gena who ignored them all and went to the downstairs bathroom. Zack followed her.

“Damn, how many’d you buy?”

“Five.” and she shut the door in his face. He rolled his eyes and ten minutes later she opened the door and saw him standing there waiting.

“Done?”

“Zack, I’m pregnant.” Gena whispered. Zack smiled at her and kissed her gently. When they pulled back she looked up at him.

“I can deal with that.” he said and kissed her again. They tossed the tests that she had taken and joined the others in the living room.

“Verdict?” Ana asked.

“I’m pregnant.” Gena said and Zack wrapped and arm around her.

“Dammit, okay, Nana is right you can’t go back over there.”

“I know. I’ll go to Zack’s parents with Kaila.”

“They’ll be happy.” Jimmy said. Matt smiled at them but he was heartbroken. He had just lost his girlfriend.

“You’ll wait to tell them until I get there tonight?” Zack asked her. She nodded and kissed him tenderly before taking Kaila. They waited ten minutes.

“Okay wanna clue us in? Because whoever that is I’m helping ya’ll send the Sonofabitch to hell.” Matt said angrily.

“Well that’s one way to go into this Matt.”

“Cara was pregnant when she died. Before she moved into that house, her daughter who was nineteen months old was kidnapped and they found evidence that the baby was dead. They never found the baby.”

“Okay I’m kinda following you.” Michelle said.

“Think about it, she was barely pregnant she didn’t know yet, why would she have a crib. She found out something about that house after moving in. She found that key and went to the attic. I think I know what she found before she was killed.”

“What and she hid the key the day she died?”

“I think so Matt.”

“So wait… oh god…” it dawned on him and just about everyone else at the same time.

“Let’s go, you ready Nana?”

“Yes, take this Ana.” Angelique said handing her great granddaughter a tiny object. She glanced down at it.

“Nana… this was Grams…”

“I know.”