You're Just A Diamond In The Rough.

Chapter 12 - Forgotten Faces.

Image

I sat in silence for about ten minutes, just listening to the thud of the music and cheering people inside the room next to me. I jumped slightly when the doors swung open and out walked Zacky. His eyes fell on me for a second before he continued to retreat down the corridor and out of the building. I watched the doors he’d just left out of for a few minutes before I found myself standing up and following him. It was like a force I couldn’t see pulling me towards him.

I walked through the doors and looked out on to the world that surrounded the building. I shivered as soon as I left the comfort of it, feeling the cold night air hit me full force. I walked across the grass towards the side of the building, keeping my eyes out for him. I carried on walking around it until my eyes fell on him, sat against the wall, a cigarette in his mouth. I felt the nerves build up in my stomach as I walked towards him, sitting down next to him in silence. I half expected him to get up and leave but he didn’t.

For a few moments all I heard was his heavy breathing as he puffed on his cigarette. The silence eventually got too much for me and I sighed heavily.

“Zack-“ I started.

“Don’t.” He cut me off. I looked down, playing with my necklace. I jumped as his voice rang through the air again.

“I don’t get it.” He spoke harshly, running his hand through his hair.

“Don’t get what?” I croaked in reply, nervous was an understatement. He looked at me, his eyes expressionless as they read mine.

“Why did you stick up for me over you’re brother?” He asked, I laughed coldly.

“I hate my brother. I’ve hated him ever since I was 13 years old. He had no right to be here. He knows how I feel about him.” I growled, anger pulsing inside me as I remembered the previous fight.

“Okay. So why have you played dumb all this time then? You knew full well he stole Gena away from me.” He snapped. “Yet you still played so fucking innocent, I was always the bad guy but I’ve always had a reason Charlotte! And you knew it all along!”

“I didn’t know, I swear I didn’t find out until the airport the other day. I swear.” I replied, almost pleaded as I turned to face him. He just rolled his eyes.

“You’re full of shit Charlotte!” He barked, I recoiled slightly but sat up straight again, the anger coursing through my veins as I locked eyes with him.

“I’m full of shit? I’m full of fucking shit?! How about you Zack? You hate me because of a mistake my dickhead brother made. How can you judge me because of that?!” I roared, standing up now and walking across the grass away from him, he was right behind me though.

“You really believe that?” He laughed humorlessly. “You really believe that’s the reason I hate you? God, come on Charlotte. I thought you were smarter than that.” He spat, I was still walking away but he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back. I stumbled back and fell into his chest slightly. I pulled my arm away from him and glared up at him.

“Well enlighten me Zack because I can’t think of any other reason you’d have to hate me this much!” I shouted, I was starting to regret not bringing a jacket out, it was raining now and the winds were ice cold.

“You can’t even remember me Charlotte.” He whispered. He looked so vulnerable at that moment, I almost wanted to pull him into a hug and never let go.

“What the hell are you talking about?” I asked confusion evident in my voice. He looked away for a second before looking back; his hands gripped my elbows almost as if he expected me to run away.

“Did I really mean that little to you?” He croaked, I was beyond confused now, I went to reply but he continued.

“I loved you Charlotte. I lived across the road from you until you were 13. Can’t you remember me?” My eyes widened as I processed the information he just gave me and it all fit into place. “You stood me up Charlotte! I finally plucked up the courage to ask you out and I waited for two whole hours for you! I came to your house and you were with Kevin. You stood me up for fucking Kevin! And you don’t even remember doing it to me!” My mind flashed back to that day, a day I’d refused to think about for a very long time now and he was right. Of course it was him, how had I never pieced that together before?

“Zack.. I.. I didn’t..” There was no words I could say to make it better, tears were streaming down my face now and my legs grew weak.

“See?” He snapped. “Now you know why I really hate you.” He let go of my arms and stormed off. I hadn’t realized how much I had been relying on the support of his hands until he moved and I fell to my knees. The rain was lashing now, ruining my hair and make up but that was the least of my worries.

All the memories from that fateful day came streaming back to me and I couldn’t handle it. I pushed them to the side though because at the moment all that mattered to me was letting Zack know the truth. I jumped to my feet, stumbling slightly on my heels, I quickly pulled them off, leaving them in the middle of the grass before running towards Zacks retreating figure.

“Zack!” I shouted, he turned to look at me as I closed the gap between us. “Please, let me explain.” I pleaded looking him in the eyes. We were both soaking wet now, his fringe was dripping in front of his eyes, the blood washing away with the rain and at that moment I couldn’t believe I’d never put two and two together before now. He just nodded slightly, urging me to continue.

“I didn’t stand you up for Kevin. I didn’t stand you up at all; I had every intention of going. It's just.. something happened..” My voice started to shake as the tears streamed down my face. I was scared to say the words I was about to say. I’d never really accepted it and saying it now would be the ultimate end to it. I wasn’t sure if I was ready for that but he needed to know, I knew that much.
♠ ♠ ♠
2nd post of tonight (:
I know its short but you don't have to wait long for the next one, i'll have it up right after this one (:
Drama, drama, drama (:
Comment and subscribe please (:
xxx