Status: UPDATE 10/2017: I'm attempting to edit and rewrite this story. So if you're a new reader and notice a sudden shift in narration or continuity, please be warned. It'll get fixed. Thank you.

Let Me Be Your Wings

008

The Detroit game was a loss, and it was a bad one. I rode on the bus next to Kris Versteeg on the way up to the game, and everyone had been riding the electric high from the Saber’s game. Now on the way down to Nashville there was a palpable funk of defeat. When we got to Nashville, it didn’t get any better. Chicago managed to save the game in regulation, but ultimately lost again in a shootout. The buses were painfully quiet on the way home where the Blackhawks were going to host the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Team practice before the Columbus game was a tough one. Quenville put the boys through every drill in the book and then some. He had them do old drills, new drills, different scrimmages, running the boys ragged. No one said anything as they went to the locker rooms, changed, and left for the day. I too left for my apartment, wanting to be alone to prepare my equipment for the game tomorrow.

No one was disappointed.

The Chicago Blackhawks took the game four to one. The locker room was loud with cheer as the boys celebrated the win modestly. I hung out with Howard for most of the night, snapping pictures here and there. Some of the boys were going out for drinks, not wanting to do anything too big to celebrate the win, hoping not to jinx anything. Howard was invited to go, as well as myself. Turning to me, Howard asked, “Wanna go? Drinks on me?”

I laughed, “Sure.”

I got the address from Howard and went to my car, changing out my shirt for a new one. I started bringing spare shirts to the games in case the boys invited us out for anything. I wore a simple camisole and layered a Dennis Savard shirt over it. Entering the bar, I found Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane already there. Ordering a Guinness Stout, I took a seat with them while we waited for others to arrive. Kane was jazzed about the win, convinced that their losing streak was over. Toews on the other hand, being Captain Serious, was apprehensive about the win. I took a sip of my drink and asked, “Do you think you guys got your groove back?”

Toews shrugged, “Tonight was a real win, we played well…. We just need to keep focused in the next game. We can’t afford many losing streaks.”

I nodded, “You’re lucky this one was small. You guys played clean tonight. Keep that up and listen to your gut.” Turning to Kane I pointed at him, “Especially you.”

“Me?”

I nodded, “Yeah. You’ve got this thing about you, I don’t know what it is.”

“He’s a little shit,” said Toews with a laugh.

“Yes! That’s it. You’re a confident shit that gets under the skin of any team you play. You’re so unnecessarily confident on the ice. You just need to keep doing that. Don’t second guess yourself. You think you can do whatever the fuck you think you’re going to do, just fucking do it.”

Kane gave a smirk, “Nah, that’s just called being the best hockey player on the team.”

Toews and I rolled our eyes and laughed at him, “If that’s what you say,” said Toews, punching Kane’s shoulder.

We were joined by Kris Versteeg, Dave Boland, and Brian Bickel. Kris slid into the booth next to me, drinking a Budweiser. He moved over so Boland could sit in the booth as well, causing his leg to press against mine. He turned to me and gave me a smile, which I returned. His hand rested nonchalantly on his leg, but a few of his fingers rested on my knee. I didn’t think anything of it, assuming it was an accident. More and more players came along with their significant others and friends, and soon word got out that members of the Blackhawks team were out on the town. Howard came and covered my refill, giving me a wink. The bar had a small dance floor which no one was using. Pushing Kris and Dave out of the booth, I went over to the DJ and requested Chelsea Dagger. As the song started all the hockey players cheered with the other patrons of the bar. Coming over to me, Kris led the way to the dance floor as we all danced and sang along to the goal song. When the song ended, an electric dance song boomed through the speakers and Kris grabbed onto my waist leading me through a dance. I laughed as we moved to the music and he used his “best” dance moves, showing off. After a few songs dancing with Kris, Adam Burish came through the crowd and took me away. He danced me to the other side of the dance floor near the bar. Sasha and Patrick Sharp were dancing on that side of the floor and I gave them a smile as we joined their party. Patrick left to the bar before I could say hello. I followed him, stopping next to him I nudged him and said, “Hey.”

He gave me a smile, “Hey.”

“You played well tonight.” I ordered a small mixed drink.

“Thank you.”

He wasn’t talking much, which was a little unlike him. He usually was very talkative after a win. “Wanna dance?” I asked.

A smile tugged at his lips and he took a sip from his drink. I nudged him again and he let out a small laugh.

“Patrick, do you want to dance?”

He finished his drink and looked at me. After a moment he nodded, “Sure.”

Smiling I finished my drink and moved to the dance floor with Patrick. The DJ played You Make My Dreams Come True by Hall and Oates and Patrick took my hand and twirled me before pulling me in. Holding me to him, we moved in a circle, occasionally he would spin me out an back in. The entire time, I was very aware of how strong his body was, how close his face was to mine, how handsome he looked when he smiled. When the song was over, Kris popped up and asked for a dance. I gave Patrick a smile before I allowed myself to be taken to the other side of the dance floor where Duncan, Kelly, Amanda, and Brent were. Twist and Shout came on and Duncan and I showed everyone how to twist. By the end of the song everyone was a pro. A different dance song came on and I continued to dance with Kris. When that song ended, Patrick came over and asked for a second dance. He took my hand and pulled me away from Kris and back over to Adam and Sasha. I danced there, watching the two lovebirds dance out of the corner of my eye while I danced with Patrick. He had his hands on my waist and I had mine on his shoulders. We had some space between us, but not much. When the song was over, I held my hands up in surrender and went to the bar for a drink.

I ordered a water and Howard came over and signed to meet him outside. Taking my drink, I followed him out the front door. The music was shut out once the door closed and Howard took a moment to take a drink before finally saying, “You seem pretty popular amongst the boys.”

I frowned, “Do I?”

Howard nodded, “Especially with Sharp and Versteeg.”

I laughed, “We’re just friends.”

Howard gave me a long look.

“We are,” I said more firmly. Frowning, I added, “Do you really think I would throw away the job of a lifetime over two hockey players?”

“No. I don’t think that. I just want you to be careful.”

“I am.”

“You know there is an anti-franternization clause in your contract, right?"

I nodded, "I did know that."

Howard was quiet.

I frowned, “And?”

“And… it’s not going to go over well if you get involved with one or more of them.”

I frowned harder, “Do you really think I would do that?”

Howard gave a small smile, “Given your dating history, I’d say there was a chance for at least one player.”

I gawked at him. Giving him a shove I said, “I can’t believe you would think that! I am not a puck bunny!”

Howard laughed, “No, you’re right. You did date those two boys for a while.”

“A year each, thank you.”

“Were they teammates?”

“Good lord no!” I laughed, “They were from other teams.”

“Why didn’t either of them last?”

I scoffed, “They didn’t like how aggressive I was when I played them. Somehow they thought I’d go easy on them.”

Howard gave a boisterous laugh, “Couldn’t take getting hit by a girl?”

“Nope.”

“That’s my girl.” He pulled me into a one armed hug.

I gave a small smile then said, “Howard… I promise you I am trying to keep a professional relationship with these players. I just happened to be forming a friendship with a few of them. However, if any butterflies start to flutter in my stomach for one of these guys, you will be the first person to know.” I gave a bigger smile, adding, “It won’t be any time soon, I promise.”

Howard thought about it for a moment, then he gave a nod, “Okay.”

Smiling wider I said, “Though, if you're gonna be cool with it, I might go hit up Taser and see if he’s doing anything tonight.”

Howard playfully frowned, “Not funny.”

I let out a laugh, “I’m sorry, you’re right. It was going to be Kane.”

Howard laughed, “Alright, alright, go back inside and have fun.”

I gave Howard a hug. “Thank you, Uncle Howard.”

As soon as I entered the bar, I had Kelly and Amanda begging me to dance with Duncan. I let out a laugh as the two girls took my arms and dragged me onto the dance floor, practically flinging me into the hard chest of Duncan Keith. He sighed and held out his hand. Taking it, I watched as Brent Seabrook went to the DJ and requested a song.

The opening few notes to Enrique Iglesias’s Bilamos came on and I let out a laugh. Duncan took my waist and dipped me off to the side, keeping me in that position while he dragged me in a half circle in front of him before pulling me up. He then led me through an improvised salsa-esque dance. A circle formed around us as we moved, phones were out a fans watched one of the best defensemen in the NHL dance in a bar. When the song was over, Kelly and Amanda demanded a swing which started a chant through the bar. Being helpless, Duncan and I performed a swing dance, lifts included. When it was all over, Kelly was hanging off her husband, covering him with kisses. Amanda was hugging me and begging me to teach her and Kelly and Brent how to dance. I laughed and made no promises..

Sasha pushed her way through and gave me a hug. “That was insane!”

I laughed and moved with her to the bar for a drink. Kris was there getting another as well. Coming over he wrapped his arm around my waist and swayed a bit. He gave me a smile and said, “Have I ever told you that I think you’re an amazing dancer?”

I smiled, “I think once you have.”

He let out a laugh, “I think you are amazing.”

I felt myself blush and hoped that Sasha couldn’t tell. I smiled again and removed myself from his grasp before saying. “Thank you?”

“Come outside with me,” Sasha said, handing me an impossibly pink drink, “I need some fresh air.”

We gave Kris a smile as we left him at the bar. Once outside I smiled, “Thanks.”

“You like him don’t you,” she smiled satisfactorily at me.

“What?” My blush came back, creeping up my face.

Sasha noticed and she laughed, “Oh my gosh you do!”

My face grew hotter as I became embarrassed for blushing, “N-no I don’t.”

But Sasha didn’t care. “No wonder you want to keep a professional relationship with Sharpy. Though, I will admit, I think you’re a little insane for not wanting to jump Sharp’s bones. I mean, I’m happy with how things are going with Adam, don’t get me wrong, but if Patrick Sharp payed attention to me like he does you I would have been on that ride in a heartbeat. But if it’s Versteeg you’re jonesing after-”

“How are things going between you and Adam?” I took a sip of the pink drink hoping to change the subject.

Sasha couldn’t help the smile that spread across her face, “They’re fantastic.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. He asked if we could make our relationship exclusive.”

I gasped giving her a huge smile, “And?”

“We’ve been officially dating for almost a week!”

I smiled, “That’s fantastic!”

“Thanks. You’re the second person to know.”

“Sharp the first?”

Sasha gave a small laugh, “Of course.”

“Well I’m happy for you.”

“Thanks.” She gave a coy smile, “Keep up your dancing and I think Mr Versteeg will be asking you soon enough.”

I gave her a playful tap, “Come off it. Kris and I are just friends.”

“You can say that all you want, but I think he’s got other plans in mind.”

“Damn.”

Returning my tap, she asked, “What? What’s wrong with getting it on with a hockey player?”

“Been there done that. Twice.”

She shrugged, “So, that just means you know what Kris wants.” I laughed but then she wrapped her arm around me, “Talk yourself out of this all you want, but Versteeg is going in for it. You’ve got to decide how to handle it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey.
Sorry I haven't updated this in a while.

This update is dedicated to my friend. I'm sure where ever he is now, the pain is gone.

(on a lighter note, way to go Blackhawks for getting 5 goals past the "best goalie in the NHL", and their victory against the Kings. Way to go Sharpy for getting two goals, and way to go Burish for getting an assist and for getting in his first fight of the game. Good luck today against Philly.)

UPDATE 10/2017: I'm attempting to edit and rewrite this story. So if you're a new reader and notice a sudden shift in narration or continuity, please be warned. It'll get fixed. Thank you.