To Make This Town Feel Okay

Look Me In The Eyes

Shay wrapped himself around her almost protectively and started to say something when Chloe interrupted him, “N- No let me finish, please?” Shay nodded and stayed silent. “Anyway, I was just so pissed off; I couldn’t believe my freaking parents would go so far as to make my little brother believe that he had caused all our problems. So I, I got up and I went downstairs to the kitchen where they were fighting, I don’t remember what I was going to say or if I even knew in the first place. I just know that when I got down there that I had yelled something at them and my mother decided it would be fine to smack me in the face. Her stupid nails left,” Shay watched as Chloe reached up to her face and brushed her bangs away to show a bruise and three scratch marks where her neck met her face, “these.”

“Oh god, you should have told me Chloe! Are you okay?” he was horrified, how could her own mother do that! It sickened him as he reached up and touched the side of her face by the marks. “Oh Chloe, if I had known, god.” He was wordless. “I’m sorry Chlo, god I’m so sorry.”

“Shay,” Chloe looked at him, he had his head bowed and held one of her small hands in his. “Shay, you didn’t do anything wrong. Why are you apologizing to me?” She didn’t understand why he was apologizing, he had never done anything to her, he had only been good to her.

“If I had known then maybe I could have changed something, I don’t know what but still; I could have helped.” He shook his head. If he had only known, he could have taken all this pain away before it even had the chance to start. He felt useless and horrible himself for not asking about it all sooner. He wasn’t aware of the tears on his face until Chloe cupped his face in her hands and made him look at her.

“You’ve helped me more than anyone else Shay, thank you.” She smiled at him through her own tears before she pressed her lips to his in a quick kiss. He was sure it didn’t even last a second but it was worth all the time in the world to him. She wasn’t broken beyond compare, he hadn’t helped break her, and she didn’t hate him like everyone else.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please?