Scalpels and Switchblades

Chapter 5

Flashback
“... As of now, authorities do not know exactly how The Joker escaped, more on this story as it develops. Now back to Louisa with the weath-“

“Oh great.” I sighed as I turned off the T.V, not only am I going to be up against Mr. Zucco, now I have the extra worry that the hospital I’m fighting to defend may also be blown up, just like Gotham general.
I took one last look in the mirror and straightened out my gray suit trousers. Tonight I’m meeting with that money grabbing rat. He called the meeting, to negotiate terms, not that there will be any negotiation. You can’t buy and sell life.

Time elapse

I looked up at the dingy club we were meant to be meeting in. A neon sign buzzed over head, and drunken men stumbled out of the door. I had a bad feeling about this place, but I couldn’t think like that now the hospital needed me. I walked up to the bar.

“Err...Mr. Zucco please?” The barman looked over at me, and then nodded his head in the direction of a door.

“Through there.” He stated and turned back to his other customers.
I walked over to the door and opened it. There in the room, was Mr. Zucco sat around the table, with what looked like a waitress, dressed in some kind of sequin lingerie.

“Good evening Miss Roberts.” croaked the old mobster, as he took a sip from his whiskey.

“This isn’t the most appropriate place for a meeting now, is it Mr. Zucco?”

“What? You don’t like the company?” he smirked, his eyes scanning over the waitress. Before I had chance to reply he got up from his chair and grabbed his cane.

“C’mon, we can walk and talk doll.”

“Very well, but I’d appreciate it, if you would not refer to me as “doll”.”
I followed him out of a fire exit at the back of the room, and we came out at in dark alley way.

“So, I was thinking, you act so high and mighty about wanting a fair system in the hospital, what if, a cut of the profit could shut you up?”

“Mr Zucco, I feel insulted that you think I can be bought off with some bribe. With the evidence I have collected against you sir, I could have the authorities put you away for a very long time.”
That’s when he reached into his jacket and pulled out a small handgun.

“I’ve been in this business for a very long time doll, and I’ve had plenty of people like you trying to ruin my plans, and unlike most of them, I’ve offered you a chance out, now you can take it or...”

“I’m sorry Mr. Zucco, but I have my principles and I’m afraid you cannot bully me into striking a deal.” My heart was beating now, I couldn’t give in, but I didn’t want to die either. He cocked the gun and pointed it at me.

“I’m going to give you ten seconds Miss. Roberts, if you refuse the deal, well I’m sorry but things will have to get messy.”

Oh god Tracey, think!

“Nine.”

I scanned the area for some kind escape.

“Eight.”

Nothing, I needed to protect myself.

“Seven.”

I started to back into the corner.

“Six”

I bumped into some garbage cans.

“Five.”

I grabbed hold of the lid from one of them, it was now or never.

“Four.”

Using the lid to protect myself, I charged at the frail gangster. This must have caught him off guard, as he seemed to panic, the gun shooting off, but missing me completely.
I threw myself right at him knocking him on the floor, as he struggled to try and shoot me again.
What happened next seemed to be out of my control. I was blinded with rage, how dare this man first try to corrupt me, and then try and kill me. I hit him over the head with the garbage can lid, splitting the flesh on his forehead, causing bleeding, but I just couldn’t stop there. I hit him again and again and again.
His body fell still and there was silence in the alleyway. I panicked and tried feeling for a pulse.

“Nothing, oh my God. I’ve killed him.”

“That you did.” Called a strange voice from the entrance of the alley.
I couldn’t make out who it was, the person was engulfed by shadow, masking all his features. He was hunched over and walked slowly to where myself and the body of Tony Zucco were. As he came closer I could see his features. My heartbeat started beating even faster.

Red Lipstick, White Face Paint, Blacked Out Eyes.

“Oh dear, oh dear what are we going to do?” questioned the Joker.

End Flash Back
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, so you know the drill, comment and what-not, and we'll see more of the Joker in the next chapter.