Status: Short Story

Just One More Time...

Chapter 3

It must’ve been in the alley for hours, because the sun was high up and it felt like I had a hangover. I slowly stood and got lightheaded, something I was used to by now. I staggered out of the alley, and tried to find my way home. It took me less time than usual, even though I was starting to loose my balance and I was shaky already. When I walked in, Matt was dead.

He was covered in blood, with a ton of stab wounds in his chest; the knife still there. There was an envelope on his forehead, and it had my name on it. I opened it, and there was a small note, along with two syringes.

Will,
Here’s some more acid, I thought you’d want them. I came and found Matt like this. I don’t know who did it, but if I were you I’d leave and hope to God that nobody finds you. I’ll see you next week, sorry about Matt.
-Cardinal


I felt like I might die, Matt was really the only one I talked to anymore, since my entire family now hates me and my brother won’t even look at me anymore. I walked around the blood pools and got the rest of my stash upstairs. I took one last look at him and walked out. I locked the door behind me, and headed back to the alley, for just one more high so I could get through the day.

I went through the usual ritual; getting the tourniquet around my arm and making sure the syringes would work. After the first one, I just looked up at the sky and sighed. The feeling of weightlessness that you get matches nothing else on the planet, not even adrenaline. I put the tourniquet back on, and took the other syringe. The heroin looked darker than usual, but at the moment I didn’t care. I stuck the needle into the vein and removed the tourniquet, but as soon as it entered my system something didn’t feel right. I was getting really hot, and I couldn’t breathe. The alley started to spin, and I saw Cardinal staring at me, laughing.

“Did you think I would just leave acid at your house? On a dead body none the less? Well, I thought I’d try out something different; a new mix. But I think I overdid it, by the looks of what’s happening here…”

“What’s happening…?”

“Well, you’re going to get a really high temperature, seize, and die. Guess we’ll try a lower amount next time. At least there is another drug addict off the streets.”

“Cardinal, don’t leave…help, please?” But he didn’t turn around, he just walked away leaving me to die.

I started to sweat, and I couldn’t keep my balance. I collapsed and then it sounded like thunder was going off in my head. I couldn’t control any part of my body; it felt like I was being electrocuted. I blacked out, but never woke up.

Just one more, ended up being the last.