Status: It's basically done... Wow... I never thought I'd see the day.

Be Somewhere

You better open the door before I take a hammer to the walls around it.

The thudding was getting louder and more rapid; was it footsteps? Or were they the frantic beats of his paranoid heart? A crash; and Ricky was now positive that they were footsteps. He put in his headphones and started to count to eight.

"One... two... three... four... five... six... seven... eight..."

The doorknob rattled and then the thudding shifted from the floor to the door. Ricky waited. If his room was still on the first floor, he would have been long gone by now. But it wasn't; he was moved to the third floor after his step father figured out he left when expecting a beating.

"I'm gonna kill you, you little brat!" Richard slurred. He turned the music up and eliminated all sound except the soothing words. Ricky choked back the idea to cry. Richard was unpleasant when sober, an asshole when drunk, but was outright dangerous when given the idea that he was instilling fear in his victims. Ricky and his mother had learned this the hard way. You do not cry. Ever.

"One... two... three... four... five... six... seven... eight..."

The hair on the back of Ricky's neck stood up. His music was too loud and he couldn't hear anymore. He turned slightly to see Richards hazy eyes glaring at him through his door. Richard had taken a screwdriver and was now hacking through the door to get at him.

Ricky didn't need to think twice. He recalled how long he had had to stay at the hospital last time he had been attacked by Richard with an object like that. He also recalled the elaborate cover story, one that the doctors wouldn't likely believe twice.

'I was practicing my gymnastics routine in the house... I know, stupid right? Yeah, but I fell down the stairs... ended up completely destroying the banisters and falling on top of a table with a glass vase with flowers in it. Lilies I think... ha ha ha yeah, I sure as hell won't do THAT again.'

It was amazing the lies that you could get away with if no one wanted to believe the alternative. Ricky had wailed at his mother about how there was no way to escape this room if Richard decided he was in a bad mood. That was a lie. There was a window. His mother believed that there was no way out other than the door. That's because she didn't want to consider the alternative.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know its really short.