Status: Completed - ten chapters, six stars.

Safe in My Arms

Lights Shining Deep In Your Eyes

Five years later...

Adelle sat on the window seat, watching Phoenix’s night life as she was holding a mug of hot tea in her hands. People were walking on the sidewalk and headlights were moving as the vehicle moved. Traffic lights turned red, and then yellow, and then green. This was what she always did when she was bored; it seemed like her habit in England was still the same even though she had left two years ago.

The apartment door clicked open and then closed. She listened to the person’s footsteps as he walked closer to her. He sat in front of her, taking her mug and sipped it, his brown eyes kept locked at her who was still watching the life outside the building.

He looked at her. “What are you thinking?”

She shrugged, eyes still wandering. “Stuff.”

“What stuff, exactly?”

She sighed, turning to look at him. He reached out and grazed his thumb over the corner of her lips. “Smile, Adelle. It’s our wedding tomorrow; you can’t go out with a face like that.”

“What kind of face, exactly?”

He furrowed his eyebrows and frowned, mimicking Adelle’s expression. Adelle giggled.

“You’re right. Tomorrow’s our wedding, I should stop thinking.” Adelle pursed her lips. “I’m just nervous... I mean, what’s going to happen after we’re married?”

John shrugged. “Honeymoon.”

“And then?”

“Kids.”

Adelle giggled a little, imagining younger versions of John running around the apartment flat. She stopped giggling. “Then?”

Josh shrugged again. “More kids?”

She shook her head, smiling a little.

“We’re gonna grow old and die together,” John said jokingly.

“Well isn’t that romantic,” Adelle replied sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

“It is romantic! Just like the movie we watched – what was it? The Journal?”

“The Notebook,” Adelle corrected.

“Yeah, they grew old and died together. That’s romantic.”

Adelle shook her head again, grinning. John smiled and leaned in, lightly kissing her lips. When they parted, John pursed his lips together and looked away.

“What is it?” she asked.

“No, I’m just – are you sure to invite Stephen to our wedding?” John asked, looking straight into Adelle’s eyes.

Adelle stared back; a sudden heavy feeling filled her heart. “Of course, why would I not be sure? He’s your brother, he should be invited,” she answered after a few seconds of hesitation.

He nodded. “You sure?”

“’Course.”

He smiled. “Just making sure.”

“You should head to bed,” John said after a minute of silence, “You have to wake up early tomorrow, remember?”

“Okay. Night, John,” she got up and kissed John’s forehead.

“Night, beautiful,” John replied and watched as Adelle disappeared into their bedroom. John sighed before turning to look outside, sipping Adelle’s tea.

- - -

Adelle sat in front of the vanity, staring at the girl in the mirror who was staring back at her. Jess stood behind her, smiling.

“You’re so beautiful,” Jess said. “I can’t believe my best friend is getting married.”

Adelle chuckled nervously. “It’s happening, so believe it, Filipina.”

Jess smiled at the nickname that they used to use to her. She then bit her lower lip, suddenly thinking about Stephen that was also in the chapel. She knew Adelle knew, and she hoped nothing bad was going to happen.

The door opened and Adelle’s mother appeared. “Honey, it’s time.” Jess nodded and walked out. Adelle’s mother stared at her one and only child, tears starting to form in her eyes.

“Mom, what are you doing?” Adelle said, getting up and approached her. “Don’t cry.”

“I’m sorry – I just can’t believe my little daughter is going to get married in a matter of minutes,” she sniffed.

“Aw, Mom,” she hugged her and she hugged back.

“Dad would be so happy watching this.”

“Yeah, she would, but she’s not here.”

“You’re wrong, sweetheart,” they pulled away. “He is here. He’s always with us.”

Adelle smiled, staring at the woman who had been taking care of her for years, especially after her father’s death.

“Everyone’s waiting for you,” her mother said, lightly stroking her cheek before leaving her. Adelle grabbed a bouquet of flowers on the vanity and walked, stopping in front of a door.

“Ready?” a man asked. She took a deep breath and nodded.

The door opened and Adelle tried to stabilize her breath as her heart was racing. It was working so far. As they walked to the altar, her eyes were focused on John who was staring back at her with a smile.

She couldn’t believe this herself. She was getting married.

Her eyes lingered through the room and stopped when she saw Stephen. Stephen was softly looking at her in a tuxedo, standing next to John. He gave her a small smile, and that was when the memories of him starting to rush into her mind.

“I missed you.”

“Get dressed, I’ll be waiting downstairs.”

“Hey, don’t eat the whole thing!”

“We can just watch the sky.”

“Nevermind, Oscar’s fine.”

“Adelle, please. I really, really love you.”

“I love you, really. I’m sorry if you ever doubted it – I deserve it.”

“Goodluck in England, Adelle.”


Adelle stopped her footsteps, causing everyone to look in confusion. Her heart was beating so fast and it wasn’t because of the wedding anymore.

“I can’t do this,” she spoke before turning around and ran out of the chapel.

She kept running as thoughts running in her mind. She didn’t stop, until someone took a hold of her wrist. She turned around to see who it was.

“What are you doing?” Stephen asked.

“I – I,” she stuttered, “I can’t do it, okay? I can’t marry John!”

“Why can’t you?! Of course you can! He’s been a great guy for you all these years, hasn’t he?”

“He is, he is! He’s a really great guy but –“ she stopped, staring at Stephen’s eyes. She had forgotten how she used to lost herself in them, how it glimmered when he was excited, how it seemed dead when he was sad.

“But?” Stephen asked, waiting.

“I...” She paused. “I love you. I still do.”

Stephen hung out his mouth in surprise, didn’t believe what she just said.

“Five years with John had been great but it was nothing compared to two years with you,” she croaked out, sniffing.

Don’t get to cry, Stephen thought.

Nothing came out as a reply, so Adelle held both of his cheeks and kissed him on the lips.

“I love you, Stephen. I always do,” she said.

Stephen shut his eyes close. Truth to be told, he still loved Adelle, but he didn’t want to ruin his brother’s happiness. He had taken so much from John, and he didn’t want to do it again.

“We can’t be together,” Stephen muttered, taking Adelle’s hands that were on his cheeks and let them go. “I was really horrible to you.”

“I don’t care—“

“Adelle,” he said sternly, cutting her off. “Get back in there.”

“But—“

“Get. Back.”

She pursed her lips together.

“I already have a girlfriend,” he lied. “And I love her, more than you could ever think of,” he lied again.

Adelle felt as if there was a lightning struck her, but there actually wasn’t. The sky was still sunny, Phoenix’s usual weather.

She nodded slowly before turning to walk back into the chapel. Stephen watched as her back disappeared into the chapel.

Adelle entered the chapel, earning back attention from everyone. She started to walk to the altar, this time without a bouquet of flowers. She stopped, standing next to John and in front of the priest.

Stephen quietly entered the chapel and sat next to his uncle.

“What happened?” John whispered.

“Just clearing my mind a bit. I felt nauseous earlier,” she lied. “Sorry about that.”

John nodded a little.

“John Christopher Gomez, do you accept Adella Rose Winchester as your beloved wife?” the priest asked/said.

“I do,” John replied.

“Adella Rose Winchester, do you accept John Christopher Gomez as your beloved husband?”

Adelle glanced at Stephen who was looking at her, his eyes telling her to say yes.

“I love you,” she mouthed before turning back to the priest.

She took a deep breath before replying with a heavy heart, “I do.”
♠ ♠ ♠
okay, so this is the end. not a really happy ending, isn't it?

thanks to all of you that have read, subscribed and commented. they mean A LOT to me! <3

this story ends at chapter ten with six stars. oh my god this has never happened before, thank you so much <3

you might want to check out my other stories :)