Status: Finished

Everyone Pretends They're Happy

I’ll Drive You

The house had been very quiet with Harriet gone. I’d gotten close to all of the guys, especially Garrett. He was always happy and smiling. He never liked to see me alone. He even helped me set up my webcam so I could talk to my parents.
I was sitting on one of the stools in the kitchen, gulping down water and trying to calm myself down. It was the first day of college and I didn’t have a clue where to go or how to get there.
‘‘What’s up?’’ I heard Kennedy ask me as joined me in the kitchen.
‘‘College today.’’ I choked out. Kennedy smiled and grabbed a breakfast muffin from the fridge.
‘‘You nervous?’’ He asked me, taking a bite.
‘‘Not really. Well, not nervous about starting, I’m just nervous about trying to find my way. I was going to drive Harriet and I but since she’s back home, I cant have her help.’’ I told him, taking another gulp of water.
‘‘I can drive you if you like? I don’t have a car, so if you let me drive yours I can come pick you up too?’’ He offered. I nodded and agreed to his plan. I hadn’t spoke to Kennedy alone much, this would be a good time.
***
‘‘So, how do you like Arizona?’’ He asked as we drove down unfamiliar roads.
‘‘I love it. Its so much different to New York. I think I want a permanent move here.’’ I told him as I stared out of the open window, letting the breeze hit my face.
‘‘You don’t like New York?’’ He asked me, shocked. ‘‘I think everyone I’ve spoke to said its awesome.’’ He glanced at me quickly then back to the road.
‘‘I’m not a big city girl. It was too big for me. There’s…too much stuff in New York to deal with. I need something different and this is it.’’ I explained and watched as Kennedy nodded slowly.
‘‘Garrett’s glad you decided to move here.’’ He piped up and smiled.
My stomach did flips. ‘‘He is?’’ I asked Kennedy, a smile growing on my own lips.
‘‘Yeah. He likes you. He said you’re the most perfect girl he’s came across in a while.’’ My smile faltered at Kennedy’s words. I didn’t want the perfect tag to stick to me in Arizona too.
‘‘Tell him I’m far from perfect.’’ I muttered to Kennedy.
Kennedy turned to look at me, a confused expression etched to his features. He didn’t say anything, just turned back to face the road and kept driving. Ten minutes later he pulled up in front of a large building that separated off into many other small buildings.
‘‘And this is your stop.’’ Kennedy piped up and turned off the engine.
‘‘I suddenly don’t feel very well.’’ I told him, clutching my stomach.
‘‘Don’t worry, Harriet will be in there most likely. You wont be alone.’’ He said trying to make me feel better. I scoffed at his words. She left me at a party when she said she wouldn’t, she’s been sent home and most likely just as angry at me, I held no hope for her sticking with me in there. ‘‘Just give one of us a call if you cant handle it. We’ll come get you.’’ Kennedy said, handing me a piece of paper with a bunch of numbers written on it.
‘‘How convenient.’’ I laughed taking the paper from him.
‘‘But if you don’t feel the need to leave early, I’ll be back here at…what time do you finish?’’ He asked me, looking at his watch.
‘‘I think its about three.’’ I told him, not entirely sure myself.
‘‘Three it is. See you later.’’ He chirped as I got out of my car. ‘‘And don’t worry, I’ll be safe in your car.’’ I thanked him and watched him speed off down the road we’d driven up.
I knew it was going to be a long day and I couldn’t wait for thee o’clock to roll around.
♠ ♠ ♠
New Moon tomorrow...excited! =D