Status: Finished

Everyone Pretends They're Happy

Goodbye

‘‘I don’t really know how to thank you enough for this.’’ John said as he directed me to the bank. It was a little further away than the mall so I’d decided to drive us there.
‘‘Its really nothing. Anything to help you progress as a band.’’ I replied, not taking my eyes off the road. ‘‘Did you speak to Harriet last night?’’ I asked him. I found it very comfortable to talk to John. It had only been three days and I felt like I was fitting in nicely.
‘‘Not yet. I’m gonna have a talk with my mom first, tell her what’s happened then tell Harriet. That way she cant call mom and object to it.’’ I found it weird how he referred to his mom as Harriet’s mom too.
I made an ‘ahh’ noise and finally turned my last right and ended up at the bank. I parked up and walked inside with John. I wasn’t really sure how things were going to work. I’d never taken such a large amount out of a bank at one time, but John told me it would get transferred over from mine to his in a few days.
***
‘‘I’m not leaving! College hasn’t even started yet!’’ Harriet yelled as we all sat in the living room. They didn’t seem phased by her noise level, but I on the other hand had never seen her like this before. It was actually a scary sight. She was only about 5’’4, but she yelled like there was no tomorrow.
‘‘Harriet, mom’s coming to pick you up later today so yes, you are going home!’’ John yelled at her, standing up from his seat.
‘‘But why? I didn’t do anything wrong, John.’’ Harriet cried, tears escaping her eyes.
‘‘Don’t try that again, Harriet. I’m not changing my mind.’’ He stood and folded his arms, towering over her. She burst into tears and ran to her room.
‘‘Should I go see if she’s ok?’’ I asked, standing up from my seat.
‘‘It would be best if you stayed here. She wont speak to anyone but me, and the only words she’ll want to hear is ‘I’m sorry, you can stay.’’’ John explained, sitting back down next to Kennedy. I nodded and sat a little awkwardly around them.
***
‘‘Where is she?’’ I heard a woman’s voice call then the front door shut. John jumped up from his seat to go see who it was.
‘‘Hey mom.’’ He said as she entered the living room.
‘‘Hey Ms O.’’ The rest of the guys chorused together.
She smiled and gave a slight wave. ‘‘Hi boys.’’ She glanced over at me. ‘‘Oh, this must be Evie?’’ She questioned looking at John. He nodded and she grinned at him. ‘‘You are gorgeous.’’ She told me making me blush. ‘‘Anyway, where’s Harriet?’’ His mom sighed seeming annoyed she had to come pick her up.
‘‘Crying, in her room.’’ John told her. She rubbed her temple and made her way out of the living room to go see Harriet. ‘‘Three…two…one’’ John said, counting down the numbers with his fingers.
‘‘I’m not leaving! You cant make me leave!’’ I heard Harriet yell at her…well John’s mom. ‘‘Yes you are. We’re fed up with your drinking and bad attitude towards people you’re meant to care about and look out for. You need to come home.’’ His mom said back in a calm tone. ‘‘You’re not my mother, you cant tell me what to do!’’ Harriet screamed back. I turned to see John. He looked hurt. Kennedy put his hand on John’s shoulder but he shrugged it off and stormed out of the living room.
‘‘Don’t fucking talk to her like that, Harriet! My mom has looked after you since the day you were born. She might not be your biological mom but she’s done a damn good job at acting like it.’’ He shouted at Harriet. The atmosphere was suddenly tense and silent.
After a few minutes John, his mom and Harriet came back into the living room.
‘‘Wait in the car, Harriet.’’ His mom snapped. I felt bad for John’s mom. She had been a mother to Harriet for nineteen years, the least Harriet could do is listen to her. Harriet walked off, dragging her suitcase behind her. ‘‘I’m so proud of you boys, saving your own money to buy your van. I’m just glad you don’t have to rely on me all of the time.’’ John’s mom praised them.
They smiled and looked between each other. Their own money? It was the typical thing that happened, I did something nice for someone, but I didn’t get it back. I felt hurt they hadn’t told her I was helping them. I saw Garrett glance over at me and I looked away and walked into the spare room. I felt a little annoyed to be honest, and hurt.
‘‘Evie.’’ Garrett said as he joined me in the spare room.
‘‘Yeah?’’ I asked bluntly.
‘‘I know you’re probably upset that we lied to John’s mom, but she would make us give you your money back if she knew what we were really doing.’’ He grabbed my wrist as I turned away from him. I tensed up again at his touch. ‘‘We are all grateful for your help, totally grateful, we just cant tell Ms O because she’ll object to it.’’ His grip loosened and he let me go.
‘‘Its ok, I just felt a little hurt. But now you’ve explained its fine.’’ I smiled.
‘‘Can I have a hug? To say sorry and thank you?’’ He asked me, holding out his arms. I happily wrapped my arms around him and he pulled me close to his chest. We stood like that for a few minutes before we heard John’s mom shout goodbye to us. We all gathered at the door to see Harriet sitting in the front seat, a scowl on her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Got an awesome t-shirt today.
Go check out The Blackout's merch!
=]