Status: Finished

Everyone Pretends They're Happy

Celebrate

‘‘So we all agree on a party?’’ John asked as we all sat in the living room. He received nods and yes’ from the rest of us then ran off to the phone.
‘‘I’m rather looking forward to this.’’ Loretta said as she joined me in the kitchen where I was currently pouring myself a glass of apple juice. ‘‘It’ll actually be my first party.’’ She then said, sheepishly.
I turned to look at her, a little wide eyed. ‘‘Really?’’ I asked, taking a sip of my drink.
She nodded, ‘‘My parents didn’t let me out of the house, strict rules about being in after four.’’ She rolled her eyes then smiled. ‘‘That’s the past, I’m looking forward to what opportunities I have now.’’ Loretta beamed.
‘‘That’s the way to look at it.’’ I grinned, finishing off my drink. I saw Garrett rise from his seat and walk towards me. Loretta left me and sat with Pat and Garrett wrapped his arms around my waist.
‘‘Harriett will no doubt be at this party too.’’ He breathed as if to warn me.
‘‘That’s fine. She is John’s sister…sort of. She was here before me, she’s welcome.’’ I replied. I didn’t have an issue with Harriett. She seemed to have one with me though. She was cold towards me at college, didn’t speak to me, but I would never object to her coming to their party.
‘‘I know…I just thought I’d tell you since she’ll no doubt get drunk and start with me.’’ Garrett sighed. I’d forgotten about that story he’d told me about her getting drunk and blaming Garrett for her problems.
Garrett and I stood in an embrace for a short while, not speaking, just standing comfortably with one another.
‘‘Garrett, we need to get some stuff in for this party, get your ass here.’’ Kennedy called to him. He looked at me and leaned forwards. I knew it was coming…again, so I turned my head slightly. He planted his lips lightly on my cheek and walked towards Kennedy. They left the house with John and Jared, leaving Pat, Loretta and myself in the house.
‘‘How come you aren’t going?’’ I asked, taking a seat near Pat.
‘‘I don’t look as old as them. They’ll get turned down for alcohol if I go with them.’’ Pat replied, shrugging.
Loretta ruffled his hair and made baby noises at him. He poked his tongue out at her and turned his gaze towards the TV.
‘‘Harriett’s gonna be at this party.’’ I suddenly said as if it were actually a big deal now.
I saw a small smile creep onto Pats lips then it disappeared. ‘‘You know if she drinks too much its all gonna start?’’ Pat asked me.
I nodded and rubbed my forehead. ‘‘Garrett reminded me of that just before.’’ I felt bad for Garrett. I didn’t want that to happen this time so I was going to try my best and keep her away from him.
‘‘What happens?’’ Loretta spoke up, voice filled with confusion.
‘‘Stuff happened with Harriett and…’’ I stopped, not knowing if I should share his personal life with a girl they’d all just met.
‘‘She just has a go at Garrett every time she gets drunk. Blames him for stuff that isn’t his fault.’’ Pat continued for me. She nodded, clearly understanding that we didn’t want to talk about it too much.
♠ ♠ ♠
Its short, and its not good, I know that. But I’ve only just got my laptop working again that’s why I haven’t updated in a lonnggg time.
I’m also trying to get back into writing again, so hopefully the next part will be better.
Also, I think you find I have used paragraphs.