Status: Finished

Everyone Pretends They're Happy

So It Begins

‘‘I’m looking forward to tonight.’’ Loretta said as she finished up her make up in my room. ‘‘Is there anything that I should know about that happens?’’ She asked, sounding slightly worried.
‘‘Loretta, its just a party. I’m sure you’ve seen them on TV or something. Its just music, alcohol, people and dancing.’’ I smiled. I’d never been to many parties, not even in New York, but I obviously knew the basics of one…who doesn’t.
‘‘So no drama and what not?’’ She asked, turning around to face me.
‘‘Well…I cant promise that. If people get too drunk its going to start something, but if you keep out of it, everything should be fine.’’ I assured her. I didn’t know she would get so worked up over something that should be fun.
I’d opted for my tie dye skirt and black t-shirt and black pumps. Simple and nice, it was only in the house after all. ‘‘You look beautiful in that dress, Loretta.’’ I told her, standing from my bed.
She looked down at herself. ‘‘Thank you, you do too.’’ She smiled. I thanked her and we left my room and made our way downstairs. I was actually surprised to see the amount of people that had already filled the house. Music had started, drinks were flowing and the atmosphere was nice. Loretta gripped my hand and stopped on the stairs.
‘‘I cant do this, there’s too many people.’’ She said panicked, breathing heavily.
‘‘Do you not like to be around many people?’’ I asked, standing in front of her. She shook her head fiercely.
‘‘I’ve never had to deal with this before since I couldn’t leave the house. I’m not a social person.’’ She told me, her eyes darting around the room at everyone.
‘‘I have the same problem. I may look calm but on the inside I’m highly uncomfortable. I hate lots of people around me, so stay by my side and it’ll be ok.’’ I tried to sound as comforting as possible. She smiled and walked down the stairs with me.
‘‘Evie!’’ I heard Garrett call above the music. ‘‘Come over here.’’ He then shouted, waving. Loretta and I walked in his direction where he was stood with Pat. ‘‘Harriet is on her way. She’s already drunk.’’ He whispered in my ear.
‘‘How do you know?’’ I asked sceptically, just in case he was worrying for no reason.
‘‘She called me.’’ Pat piped up. ‘‘Her and her friends from college stopped at a different party before here, got hammered and now they’re coming here.’’ They both look very concerned.
‘‘Why are you fretting so much? It cant be as bad as every other time she’s drunk and at a party.’’ But by the looks on their faces, it was probably going to be worse.
‘‘She knows we’re together. She’s pissed and no doubt going to start with you. I’m sorry.’’ Garrett said, pulling me closer to him.
‘‘Its not your fault, Garrett. I can handle this…lets just have fun.’’ I flattened the side of his hair and played with the hem of his blue shirt. I was beyond worried, but I didn’t want to show it.
‘‘Like you said, Evie. If you keep out of it, it should be ok, right?’’ I heard Loretta say.
‘‘Right!’’ I beamed. ‘‘Lets go drink.’’ Then I pulled her by the hand into the kitchen, leaving Garrett and Pat to worry alone.
***
‘‘Now it’s a party…because we’re here!’’ I heard someone slur from the living room.
I stood and sipped my drink with Loretta, noticing her confidence build with every sip she took. ‘‘You starting to feel more comfortable now?’’ I asked her and she nodded, finishing off her drink and pouring another. I looked over her shoulder to see Garrett sprinting towards me.
‘‘She’s here and she’s more than drunk.’’ He said a little breathlessly.
‘‘Garrett, calm down. If she says anything, I’ll try to calm her down and have a normal conversation with her away from everyone, ok?’’ I said. He shook his head, still panicked.
‘‘You cant talk to her when she’s like this. I’m not doing this to spoil your fun, I’m just warning you that she will get nasty and I don’t want you to get hurt from anything she says.’’ I loved how much Garrett cared and I was starting to worry myself about being in the same house as Harriet.
‘‘Where is she? I want to see her!’’ I heard Harriet yell through the house. ‘‘And him, its all his fault, everything is his fault!’’ I didn’t understand why she couldn’t stop blaming Garrett for her problems. It wasn’t fair on him.
‘‘Harriet don’t start! This party is for something good, something we’ve worked hard for and no one wants you spoiling it.’’ John yelled at her.
‘‘This doesn’t concern you, John. Now where is she?!’’ Harriet was past the point of angry, she was full blown crazy.
♠ ♠ ♠
i finished writing this last night, it only has 4 more parts. enjoy =]