Status: Finished

Everyone Pretends They're Happy

I Can Help

Pat came and joined us in the living room, sighing heavily.
‘‘She out?’’ John asked him.
‘‘Like a light. Someone please deal with her now. I’m tired.’’ Pat huffed, tucking some hair behind his ear.
‘‘I’m gonna have to send her home. We wont get anything done with her living here.’’ John informed him.
‘‘But you know you’re parents wont pay for our van or any new amps if you send her home!’’ Pat whined.
I sat there and listened to them trying to reason with John. They really weren’t getting anywhere.
‘‘I could maybe help?’’ I offered. They stopped talking and turned to face me. ‘‘If you send her home, I could give you some money.’’ I knew they would object straight away, but it wouldn’t affect me. I had a trust fund from before I was born…before I was even planned. There was near enough fifteen thousand for me. Yes it’s a lot, but with the job my dad had, he could afford to put enough away.
‘‘Evie, we couldn’t do that. We’ve only just met you, plus, you’ll need it for college.’’ John argued.
‘‘It wouldn’t affect me, I could give you at least five thousand and still be fine. College is paid for.’’ His mouth hung open slightly. ‘‘Seriously, I wouldn’t mind helping.’’ I repeated.
He looked at the rest of the guys then back to me. ‘‘Are you sure? I mean, you really wont need it?’’ He still didn’t sound sure.
‘‘I’m sure. I can get it for you tomorrow if you like?’’ I wasn’t eager to get rid of Harriet, but I didn’t want her to shout at me for doing nothing anymore.
‘‘That-that-that would be awesome, thank you!’’ John beamed standing up and walking towards me and wrapping his arms around me. This time I didn’t tense up. But I didn’t happily fall into his arms. I patted his back as he swayed us a little. He let go, grinning at me.
‘‘I’m gonna go put my things away.’’ I told him, blushing ever so slightly. He nodded and I left them sitting in the living room. I was pleased with myself to be honest. I liked doing nice things for people. I rarely got the favour returned, but it didn’t bother me much.
‘‘Evie?’’ I turned to see Jared poking his head into my room.
‘‘Hey, Jared.’’ I smiled as he walked over to me.
‘‘That was super nice of you.’’ I felt either some sort of lecture coming on, or he was going to use his special power to get out of me what was wrong. Which was in fact nothing right now.
‘‘Its no problem. I’m just happy to help.’’ I was hoping he wouldn’t sit and talk with me, Harriet had gotten me really paranoid about Jared and how he could find out what was wrong with you.
‘‘Well I just wanted to say thanks, and thanks for getting rid of Harriet.’’ He whispered the last part.
‘‘Like I said, happy to help. But can I ask why you lot don’t want her here?’’ Jared shut my door and took a seat on my bed.
‘‘Harriet…how do I describe her. Its like she has a monster inside of her that rips its way out when she has even a drop of alcohol. She’s not really John’s sister. Her dad left before she was born and her mom died giving birth to her. John’s mom was her best friend and vowed to take her in if anything happened. She found out two year ago what happened and since then she hasn’t stopped drinking. We left it to her to find someone…that someone being you, to take the last room, hoping you’d be able to control her drinking and so she’d have a friend to talk to when we are busy with band stuff, but John cant really take it anymore. His mom said she’d help us out if we kept her here but that’s not working. We’re just so grateful you’ve came along.’’ Jared stopped in thought for a minute. ‘‘Not just for your money, obviously.’’ He rushed. I chuckled a little.
‘‘I understand, Jared. But what about Pat? Them being best friends an all.’’ I asked and Jared smirked.
‘‘She’s not Pat’s best friend, she thinks she is, but really, Pat is sick of her.’’ I nodded, still confused at how they were all so good at acting like they wanted her here. ‘‘We’re just pretending to be happy around her, she kicks up a fuss if she thinks there’s something wrong.’’ He answered like he’d just read my mind. It really was like he has some sort of gift. ‘‘Well, I just wanted to thank you, so I’ll leave you in peace now.’’ Jared said smiling and hugging me with one arm.
‘‘No problem.’’ I beamed and he left me alone in my room. I wanted to call my parents and tell them how much I’d helped, but I knew my mom wouldn’t be happy with me giving my money to a bunch of people I’d just met.
♠ ♠ ♠
was that drastic?
i did think so, but i started not to like Harriet. she became difficult to write about.
thank you for the comments =]