Brother and Sister

Coming Home

We were waiting in the airport of Barcelona, Spain to go back home. After a wonderful honeymoon here, I was ready to go back home and start my life with my husband.
John squeezes my shoulders and then leads me to our gate when it’s called. The guy stayed up for hours studying this language. We handed our tickets to the stewartist and soon take our seats in the plane.

We arrived back in states around 8am that next morning. We wouldn’t be home until that afternoon. We caught the plane from New York, to Chicago, then from there to Albuquerque. We didn’t get home until one that afternoon. I sighed in relief when we found our family standing outside. I hug Megan and Tyler tightly.

“Thank goodness you made it safe! How was your week?” asked Megan.

I smile, “Great. I loved it so much. I didn’t want to leave. But I needed to come back home.”

She smiles, “Pictures?”

I nod, “In the suitcase, I’ll send them to you as soon as I get them downloaded into the computer.”

She smiles, “Great. Well my plane will leave soon, here are your keys. I love you and welcome home!” she kisses our cheeks and hugs me tightly. Then she hugs Tyler.

“Bye Aunt Megan, thanks for everything!” I call. She waves goodbye and blows us kisses.
I turn and jump in my car. John comes around to the driver’s side and drives off. Tyler was quiet. He knew we were tired.

We got home and didn’t bother unpacking. I flop on the bed and fall fast asleep with John’s arms around me.

When we wake up, it was still light. I look at the clock and see its eight am in the morning. We slept a full twenty hours! Holy crow!

John came out of the bathroom and starred at me, “I know.”

I shake my head, “Tyler?”

He smiled, “At school.”

I nod, “Does he have lunch money?”

He nods, “Yeah, he woke me up so I gave him some.”

I nod, “Ok.”

“Relax. I’m rested, are you?” he chuckles.

I grin, “Very. I’m so rested. I hate that it’s over.”

He smiles, “Me too. The honeymoon was perfect.”

I wrap my arms around his neck, “I love you.”

He places his hand on my cheek and rubs it with his thumb, “As I love you.”

He kisses me sweetly; I pull away and start unpacking all of our stuff. I carried two suitcases while John only carried one. I threw all my dirty clothes in the hamper, put all my accessories back, John was doing the same. Except it took him less time than me. I saw him carry his suitcase to the closet.

“Done?” I ask.

He smiles, “Yup. Since you still have another hour, I’m going to the office and I’ll be back.”

I roll my eyes, “Whatever.”

He kisses me goodbye and leaves. I have this whole house to myself.

After I finish unpacking I called Stephanie over, while I was waiting I downloaded all of the pictures on to the laptop. I smile and laugh at some of them. I printed out one of them, we were in the hotel standing outside on the balcony. We took the picture of us kissing and the background contained all of Barcelona. I put the picture in a frame I bought over there and placed it in the living room on the table by the door, that’s when the bell rang.

I answered it and it was Stephanie with Becca. I immediately took her from Stephanie and walked her over to the couch.

“So how was the honeymoon?” she asks.

I smile, “A dream come true. It was beautiful up there.”

She nods, “I bet. Barcelona is a beautiful city.”

I put Becca in the space between us, “Theirs so much history in Spain.”

“Oh I know. I wanted to travel up there soon, but when I say soon I mean three years from now. With Becca I can’t do a lot.” She taps Becca’s nose.

“You’ll get there one day Steph. I promise.” I smile.

She nods, “Yeah. I hope so.”

“Can you believe I slept a full twenty hours!” I laugh.

She laughs too, “Wow. Seriously? John too?”

I nod, “Yeah. He got up early just to see Tyler off to school.”

“Wow. So where are the pictures?”

I hold up my finger, grab the laptop from the room and show her. While she gasps and sighs in awe I show her the picture of us on the balcony.

“Oh Rachel, this is pretty. I love this picture.”

I nod, “Yeah, John took it.”

We talk more about the honeymoon, and while she tells me about what happened in school this past week.

“Oh crap. I forgot about the paper.” I gasp. “Well I guess it’s good I finished it already.”

She rolls her eyes, “Then why are you freaking out?”

I giggle, “Because that paper is due today. I need to take it over.”

“Well then we’ll leave so you can do that.” She starts to gather all her stuff.

I smile, “Ok. Maybe we could have lunch sometime.”

She holds Becca in her arms, I kiss her cheek and wave them goodbye from the door.

“I’ll call you!” she yells.

I nod and wave goodbye until their out of sight.

After many congratulations and thirty minute conversations with my professors, I was able to escape and run to my car before anyone could grab me again. On my drive home, I sang to the songs on the radio. When I got home Tyler was just entering the door.
I parked it in the drive way, “Hey.” I call. I locked my car and hugged him.

“Where did you go?” he asks.

“I went to drop off my paper at school, talk to millions of people, and now I’m here.” I smile. I open the door and put my coat in the closet and walk into the kitchen.

“Do you want anything?” I call.

He shakes his head, “Nah. I’m pretty beat.”

“Don’t you have practice?” I walk into the living room with a root beer bottle. I sit next to him on the couch.

“Only for gym class. School was such a drag you know? I hate going back to school after a two week vacation of sleeping late and then BAM! Back to getting up at seven in the morning to be at East High by eight-thirty. I hate school.”

I starred at him with one eye brow raised, “Is you’re rant over?” I giggled.

He rolled his eyes and nudged me, “Sorry. I’m just fed up with school already.”

I laugh, “Well get used to it, you go to school for the rest of your life.”

He sighed, “Thanks for reminding me…Jeez.”

I patted his back, “Listen, it’s your last year. You turn seventeen next month and then you’re seventeen.”

He laughed, “Thank god its my last year. I love being a senior and all, but jeez. I hate the learning part.”

“Oh come on! You’re going to miss it when you’re in college.”

He smiled, “Yeah I know I will.”

I stood up, “You’re such a baby about everything!” I yelled from the kitchen.
I heard him chuckle, then John came in threw the door. I grinned when I saw him smile at me.

He walked over to the kitchen, wrapped his arms around me and kissed me on the lips.

I pulled away and smiled, “Welcome home husband.”

He grinned, “Thank you my wife.”

I squealed and kissed him again. I heard Tyler gag.

“Honeymoon’s over! Jeez, if I ever get sick all I have to do is see you guys make out for ten seconds.” He muttered on his way up the stairs. I smiled, but continued to kiss my husband.

During dinner, I laid the pot roast on the table and enjoyed when the guys both sighed in awe.

“So beautiful.” Tyler gawked.

“So tasty looking.” John teased, he winked at me.

I laughed and cut a piece for each of us. “So you and Aunt Megan took down all the decorations?”

Tyler nodded while stuffing a potato in his mouth, “Yeah, after the wedding we came home, rested, then went outside to take down all the decorations. I took down the lights around the house, while she took all the ornaments off.”

“Did you put everything back up?” John asked.

“Yeah, everything’s back up in the attic. Even the tree.” He winked.

I laughed, “Lame.”

John laughed, “I meant about the ornaments and lights, smartass.”

Tyler chuckled, “Yes its all up in the attic. Chill.”

John grunted and Tyler laughed.

“You know only old people grunt like that.” He teased.

I coughed. “Wow.”

John ignored him and continued to eat.

“So how was your day at the office babe?” I asked, changing the subject.

“Good. I went to get something, and then it was like BAM! ‘John we need you for this, John we need you for that.’ Then somewhere in between all of that they all took two seconds and said, ‘Congratulations on your wedding! How’s Rachel?’ It was hecktic. But I got it all done and I’m home.” He smiled at me. I winked at him.

“Ok if that’s some code for, ‘See you later’ then I’m sleeping over at Brady’s.” teased Tyler. I punched him in the arm.

“OW!” he yelled. “I was only kidding.” John shook his head, I did the same.

After dinner John and I sat in the living room watching T.V, while Tyler went out with his friends.

“So…” John began.

I turned around in his arms, “What?”

He kissed my forehead, “Did he have any homework?”

I shrugged, “Tyler is pretty good about doing his homework before he goes out.” To be sure I took out my cell phone and texted him.

"Did you do ur homework?", I slapped my razor shut and cuddled with John again.

My phone buzzed, "Yes mom. I did all my homework b4 I came here. Can I have a cookie? Lol."

I laughed and wrote back, "Quit being a smart ass. B home at 7:30. U have an hour."

John pressed his lips on my hair and laughed, “I guess you weren’t too sure?”

I shook my head, “No not really.”

He laughed, “Wow.”

“What?” I asked.

He shrugged, “Nothing.”

I let it go, I opened my phone when it buzzed again.

Jeez someone has the mom hat on. "Yes I know my limit, tell dad 2 leave the door open incase u decide to go to bed early. *winks*" I blushed and wished so badly he was here so I slap him.

"Shut up. Have fun. <3 u." A minute later he wrote back

"Bi-polar much? Jk. I love you too."

I laughed and threw my phone on the table and continued to watch T.V with John. We settled for The Nanny.

“Rachel? Can I ask you something?” John’s voice was barely a whisper.

I twisted around again, “Anything.” I had a gut feeling I would regret it.

He starred at me for a moment, “Well….I was wondering…….Do you want…..kids?’ He smiled a little at the end.

I was right. I did regret this question. Yes I do want kids, but I was always under the impression that John wasn’t.

I looked away from his gaze. “John…I”

He sighed, “I was just wondering you don’t have to answer.” His eyes looked so sad. I starred at him for a moment, “Do you want kids?”

We just got married and we are already talking about kids….jeez.

He grinned, “I do. I want you to have my baby.”

I snorted, “Well I feel honored.”

He chuckled, “You know what I mean. I do want kids, as long as they come from you.”
I smiled a little. I could see a vision coming to mind, a baby in my arms John’s hands on his/her head. My heart squeezed.

“Do you want kids Rachel?”

I shook my head, pulling myself out of my little vision. I starred at him for a moment and then smiled.

“Yes I do.”

He kissed my forehead, “I’m not saying we start now…I was just wondering.”

I sighed, “What if you change your mind?”

He laughed, “I couldn’t if I tried. I’m excited right now. I can’t wait to be a dad.”

I looked down and grinned, “Me too. I can’t wait to be a mom.”

He picked up my face with his finger, “What’s wrong?”

I shook my head, “Nothing.”

He smirked, “I know that look, something is wrong.”

Yes, something was wrong. I wanted to be a mom so badly, but I wouldn’t have my mom to help me if I needed her. My baby wouldn’t know who her/his grandmother was, how great she was, how beautiful she was. She/he will never know. My dad would love a grandchild, he would the baby over everyday. He would teach her/him how to say grandpa first. He would talk about basketball, and all sorts of things. I longed to see my mother hold my child in her arms, crooning to it, telling my baby that she loves him/her. A single tear fell from my eyes.

John wrapped his arms around me, “You’re parents huh? I know. I know baby.”

I nodded, “I miss them so much.”

He rubbed my back and kissed my head, “I know you do.”

I cried in his arms until I fell asleep. When I woke up I was lying on the couch and I could hear voices from the kitchen.

“How are you Tyler? How do you feel about everything?” John asked.

“I’m alright. I mean I have my days where I miss them like hell. There are days when I’m about to break down and I see my sister, how strong she is and copy her. Then I forget the pain and live life.”

“Yeah I understand. She held it in as long as she could.”

I didn’t hear anything more, but I didn’t move at all.

“So kids huh? How did she act to that?” Tyler asked.

John laughed, “We want them, but she remembered things, or I don’t know what happened, she just broke down.”

Tyler sighed, “I could talk to her. Maybe that would help.”

“I think she’s ok. She’s just a little upset about having a baby and not having your mom around.”

“You know mom used to tell dad all the time that she couldn’t wait for Rachel to have kids. Then dad would joke around and say, ‘she’ll never have kids as long as I’m alive and she’s with John.’ He always saw her as daddy’s girl. It was never fair whenever I wanted something, and she wanted the opposite. She always got what she wanted with dad. Brat.”

I covered my mouth to keep from laughing.

John chuckled, “That’s good. I could always see that in his eyes, he never liked me huh?”
Tyler laughed, “He did. He just didn’t like that you were living with Rachel before you got engaged.”

“That’s why?”

“Yeah. He was pissed when Rachel called mom and told her. He said one time, ‘I can’t wait too him. If he touched her, oh. Oh.”

They laughed, I giggled.

I stood up and walked over to John. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders and kissed his cheek.

“Hey.” He whispered.

“Hi.”

Tyler gagged, “Seriously.”

I rolled my eyes, “What are you guys talking about?”

They shrugged, “Stuff.” John smiled.

“Yeah. Men stuff, so back away.” Tyler laughed.

I rolled my eyes again, “Whatever.”

“Ready for bed? It’s after ten.” John stood up and wrapped his arm around my waist.

I nodded, “Yeah. I’m pretty beat.”

Tyler yawned, “Yeah I’m tired too. I have practice tomorrow after school for sure sis. So I won’t be home until after five.”

I nodded, “Ok, just call me if you need a ride.”

He nodded, he stood up and kissed my cheek, “Good night you guys. Sleep well.”

I smiled, “You too.”

I picked up the glasses on the table and put them in the sink, John grabbed my hand and sighed.

“Time for bed. This can wait until tomorrow.”

I smiled, “Ok.”

He swooped me up in his arms, like he did when we got to our hotel in Spain, and carried me upstairs to our room.

He set me on my feet at the door, “Thank you.” I smiled.

He laughed, “Anytime.”

After my shower, I climbed under the covers and snuggled close to John to keep me warm. I closed my eyes and had my vision linger in my dreams.