Brother and Sister

Final Decision

I woke up early that morning, smelling a great smell leaking into my room. It smelled like turkey and various other things. I could hear talking coming from downstairs, but then I heard a laugh and recognized it quickly; it was Aunt Megan.

I looked around John’s arms and saw it was only eight-thirty in the morning. I unfolded myself slowly not to wake John and went to the bathroom to take a shower. I came out to find John still fast asleep. Poor guy. I pulled up my hair in a pony tail and put lotion on my face, arms and legs. I closed the door quietly and walked downstairs to meet my family.

“Good morning Grandpa!” I grinned and kissed his cheek. He was watching the beginning of the ‘Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade’”

“I can’t believe you still watch this.” I laughed.

He chuckled, “I do what I please. And plus it’s a tradition with my self.”

I grinned and walked into the kitchen to say hello to Grandma. I was alittle scared of her after last night, but also I couldn’t help but laugh afterwards. I saw my little cousins –Aunt Megans little girls- running around in the front yard with my Uncle Fred.

“When did Uncle Fred get here Aunt Megan?” I asked.

“Last night around twelve. The girls are tired.” She looked out the window with me.
I shrugged and took a deep breath.

“Good morning everybody!” I yelled. Everyone was here already. Uncle Michael, Uncle Daniel, even my cousin –Uncle Michaels older son- Brian was here. Aunt Andrea was in the corner with Grandma. I narrowed my eyes at her for two seconds before I embraced everyone.

“Brian! It’s so good to see you!” I said hugging him.

He laughed, “I know it’s been awhile. How are you?”

“I’m great!”

“I’m sorry I wasn’t here for the funeral or anything, I was really busy with college and stuff and I couldn’t get away.”

I waved my hand at him, “No problem. I understand. You’re here now right? That’s all that counts.”

He smiled. Brain went lived in Texas and the college he went to was University of Texas in Austin. He was studying to be a accountant.

“So where’s John?” He asked.

I pointed upstairs, “Asleep.”

“Ah. So what’s the deal with you guys now?”

I grinned, “Well we’re engaged now.”

He beamed, “What? No shit?” he covered his mouth and looked around to see if anyone heard.

“I heard that.” whispered Aunt Megan. “But I won’t tell.” She patted his shoulder and winked at me.

“Thanks auntie.” He whispered back. She grinned.

He turned his attention back to me, “So engaged huh? Wow.”

I nodded, “Yeah.”

“For how long?”

I counted in my head, “Eight months.”

“Wow. So have you set a date?”

I shook my head; I was feeling guilty for never setting a date, but John said he would wait till I was ready. Which was a sweet gesture.

“Not so sure yet. But I’ll let you know.” I smiled at him.

He grinned back, “Alrighty.”

“So what do you need Grandma?” I asked.

She looked around, “Oh I need you to make the sweet potatoes, and Megan I need you to make the cranberry sauce, alright?”

I nodded, “Yes ma’am.”

Brian walked beside me, “Mine if I help?”

I shook my head, “Of course not cousin.”
He was making a mess out of everything, but we finally got it. We laughed the entire time, I was having a blast. And so was he. He put the marshmallows on top and then we stuck it in the oven. I clapped my hands together and shook his.

“Well done partner!” I laughed.

He laughed also and shook my hand, “Nice team work!”
Tyler walked in yawning and rubbing his eyes, I looked at the clock hanging over the sink and saw it was only ten in the morning.

He caught glimpse of me and stuck his tongue out, “Pay back” he mouthed.

I rolled my eyes, “Whatever.” I mouthed back. He grinned.

“Good morning family!” he yelled.

Grandma smiled, “Good morning baby. How did you sleep?”

He nodded, “Ok.” He tried to pick at the dessert Aunt Andrea was making, but she slapped his hand away.

“I don’t think so buddy.” She laughed. I wanted to strangle her.

He put his arms out, “Oh come on! Please?”

She shook her head laughing, “Nope. You have to wait like everyone else.”

He pouted, “That’s not fair.”

She threw back her head and laughed, “Life isn’t fair.” Then she met my gaze and looked away.

“Tyler look who made it.” I said. I nudged Brian.

He looked beside me and grinned, “Brian man! What’s up cousin?”

He walked around the stove in the middle to hug/shake Brian’s hand. I never got that with men, why couldn’t they just hug? Jeez.

“Nothing much man, how about you?” he asked.

“Just living with Rachel now, it’s alright I guess.” He looked at me from the corner of his eye.

“Alright?” I snorted.

He laughed, “Naw, its great. Nothing makes me happier than spending the last of my teenage days with my sister.”

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder; I laughed and punched him in the sides.

“Punk.” I muttered.

“Tyler you either go in the living room with your Grandfather or stay in here and help.” Ordered Grandma. Everyone all of a sudden seemed like they were busy when her voice over took the different conversations in the kitchen. Uncle Michael and Uncle Daniel were talking on the counter about something, but they both turned their chairs toward the T.V.

“Huh, I chose Grandpa.” He walked to the living room and sat next to Grandpa. I cleaned up our mess, help from Brian and walked over to the living room also.

“You know what? I better go check on John.” I whispered.

Brian nodded, “Sure.”

I stood up and jogged upstairs and opened our door quietly, “John?”
I peaked around the wall and saw the bed was empty and heard the water coming from the bathroom. I was making up the bed when the door opened.

“Oh hey.” He smiled.

I smiled back, throwing the pillows back on the bed, “Hey!”

He ran his hand threw his short black hair, “How long have you been up?”

I sat beside him on the bed, “Only a couple of hours.”

He nodded, “Oh.”

“My cousin Brian is here. Remember him? You met him last year for mom’s birthday.” I remembered that night, it was the most perfect nights ever! I remember the way mom covered her face when Tyler and Dad brought out here cake with forty candles covering it.

“Oh yeah, I remember. He was cool.” He touched my cheek and kissed it.

I closed my eyes, “Did you sleep well?”

“Yes.” He whispered his lips were at my jaw, going slowly down to my neck.

“That’s good.” I sighed.
He chuckled and I shivered when his breath caressed my neck. His lips were on mine, I wrapped my hands around his neck and crushed myself to him. His hand was at the middle of my back, clutching the skin that was exposed there.

He moved his lips to my neck; I didn’t know I was lying down till then. That’s when I panicked. I pulled away and sat up.

“Not now John.” I muttered. I never went to far with John, not until we were married. He sat up with me and looked sad.

“Sorry. I know that was way out of line.” He stroked my arm.

I looked at him and smiled, “It’s ok.”

He picked up my hand and kissed the back of it, “I love you Rachel. And I want to get married soon. Please.”

I starred at him for a moment, “Why?”

He looked up at me, “Because I’m ready to be your husband. I want to see you walk down the aisle in a beautiful white dress with your angelic face smiling at me. I want to place that ring on your finger and say ‘I do’. I want to have babies with you, please Rachel. I’m begging.”

I looked down and shook my head, “Not right now John. Not after my parents just died. I can’t.”

He sighed and took my face in his hands, ‘”I understand Rachel, I do. I’ve always respected you’re wishes. Please sweetheart, tell me when I can start the rest of my life with you.”
I couldn’t stand it when he looked so sad, and I hated it when he begged. He voice was full of plead. I touched his hand and starred in his eyes. John is all I want, I see myself with no other man but him. He’s in my dreams, and my every thought. So what if I said yes? I mean we were practically married, we lived together, we fought like an old married couple. But it wouldn’t be the same without mom or dad there, of course I know their there in my heart, but not there physically. I dreamed of the day my dad would walk me down the aisle and hand me down to my prince. But that was never going to happen.

Like he could read my thoughts he said, “I know it won’t be the same anymore honey, I know. I know it will be hard for you to walk down the aisle without your father, but you still got Tyler, your grandfather, and your uncles.” True, I did. I think Tyler would be perfect.

I sighed a couple of times and smiled, “Ok.”

He beamed, “Seriously?”

I nodded, “Yes. I mean it.”

He grinned and crushed his lips to mine, “I love you, I love you, I love you.” He said between kisses.

I laughed, “I love you too.” He kissed me one more time, and I was suddenly washed with happiness. I felt tears running down my face. John wiped them away then starred at me.

“Are you sure Rachel? Is this what you want?”

I nodded and smiled, “Yes John. I’ve always wanted you, always. You’re all I want.”
He kissed me one last time.

We walked downstairs too a rawr of different conversations going on. Some coming from the kitchen, other coming from the living room. We stood in between both, I was going to announce our wedding date.

I took a deep breath, John squeezed my hand. “Everyone!” I yelled. All the chatter stopped and all eyes were on me, I felt the nerves pinch my stomach.

“I have an announcement!”

“What is it sis?” asked Tyler.

I sighed, “John and I have set a date for the wedding, it’s going to be in two months here in Phoenix.”

Everyone yelled and clapped, then we were hugged and kissed.

Grandma held me the longest, “Oh sweetheart.”
Uncle Michael didn’t come near me; he was starring straight off into space. He was not happy.

“Congrats kids!” yelled Uncle Daniel, I tore my gaze from Uncle Mike and grinned at Daniel.

Tyler slapped John’s shoulder and grinned at me, “It’s about damn time!”

Grandma slapped the back of his head. “OW!” he yelled.

“You will not use that language around me young man!”

I laughed, “I know it’s been awhile.”

“Awhile? More like a month!” Tyler laughed.

I rolled my eyes at him, “Shut up!”

He hugged me and kissed the top of my head, “I love you sis, and I’m real happy for you.” He whispered.

I felt something wet fall from my eyes, “I love you too brother.”

“So what’s the theme? You have to let me plan it!” squealed Aunt Megan. Aunt Andrea was grinning.

“Sure if you want. It doesn’t matter what theme, as long as it screams ‘John and Rachel’.”

She nodded, “Oh Andrea, we could do so many things with that!”

She laughed, “Oh well you could, I’m not in this.”

I could hear the sadness in her voice, “Andrea, just help. It wouldn’t be the same without some of your taste in their.” I smiled. I really meant it too. I needed to bury the hatchet with her.

She grinned, “Really?”

I hugged her, “Yes Auntie, do it!”

She kissed my cheek and smiled, “I’m sorry.”

I shook my head, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be such a witch.”

She smiled, “We both were.”

I laughed, “Yes.” She and Aunt Megan began an conversation about the colors and dresses. I was happy, all I wanted was John to be my husband.