Status: May take a few days in between updates, but very much alive

Worth The Wait

ch 20- Are you asking me out?

CH 20

Even though she’d only been gone a day Sidney couldn’t wait for Phoebe to get back. He missed her so much he couldn’t stand it. He missed her because he knew what she was doing, what she was facing, and how hard it was for her to do it. He didn’t talk to her as much as he would have liked, but he understood she was busy and the quicker she could take care of all she needed to take care of, the quicker she’d be back home in Pittsburgh with him.

Sidney had been waiting anxiously for Phoebe’s confirmation that she was home and when he got it all he could focus on was going to see her and holding her close. He was curious to know how everything had gone down between her and her family, her and Richards. He didn’t like to entertain the thought of her being alone with Richards but this time was different and he was secure in the fact that she loved him now.

He rushed over to her place and knocked anxiously on the door. When Phoebe opened it Sid felt pangs of uneasiness. Instead of being chipper and lighting up at the sight of him, Phoebe had on a baseball hat and her hair was hanging in front of her face, almost as if disguising herself. Instead of wrapping her arms around his neck and pressing her lips to his, she quickly glanced at him, smiled and immediately turned away.

“Hey,” Sid softly grabbed for her. “What’s up Pheebs?” He successfully managed to gently turn her to face him but she still wouldn’t lift her head to look at him. “Baby, what’s the matter?” As she peered up at him Sid realized what she was trying to hide. He lightly brushed the hair out of her face to reveal the swollen and colorful side of her face that looked more painful than the black eyes he’d ever gotten from fighting on the ice. He instantaneously felt his stomach tighten “What happened?” he questioned as he lightly stroked her eye and cheek with his thumb almost as if he could wipe it away. When she winced at his touch, Sidney wanted to go to Philadelphia and not even kill Mike but beat him to an inch of his life and leave him helpless and pleading on the floor.

Phoebe closed her eyes and turned her head away from Sidney. “What do you think?”

“Did Mike do this to you?” he inquired, knowing full well the answer. Phoebe nodded in shame and embarrassment. “I’m going to beat the shit out of that mother fucker. I swear to God he’s never going to be able to hold a hockey stick again.”

Phoebe swallowed and finally looked back at him. “It didn’t go so well,” she smirked as she looked up at him trying to lighten the mood so that Sidney would calm down. She knew he wasn’t going to react to Mike’s actions too kindly and she was embarrassed that she came home battered by her former fiancé.

Sid’s body was shaking in anger. He was disgusted and sick that he wasn’t there to protect her. The image of Richards hitting Phoebe, causing harm to her in any way made him so dysfunctional he couldn’t see straight. He turned around and started rushing towards her front door. Phoebe quickly ran up behind him and grabbed his hand, pulling on it. “Where are you going?” she asked frantically.

“I’m going to Philly and I’m killing him. I can’t take it.”

“NO! Stop! Sid stop!” she tugged at his arm and ran underneath it so that she could stand face to face with him. “Sidney,” she finally got him to stop. He swallowed as he looked her in the eyes. “Please don’t. He isn’t worth this.”

“Phoebe…” he tried to compose himself and looking into her desperate eyes put his nerves at ease but seeing the swollen, bruised frame that surrounded them sent the fury through his body all the more. “This isn’t okay. That asshole is such a coward that he went after you. He should’ve gone after me if he has such a problem. There’s no excuse for that prick hitting you!” his voice was raised and Phoebe knew it wasn’t directed at her but it still made her uncomfortable.

“Sid,” she stroked his face. “Baby…it’s okay. He’s pathetic. It’s that simple. I’ll never have to see him again, he just isn’t worth it.”

Sid glared down into her eyes. “You’re telling me that you wouldn’t want me to kick his ass for all the shit he’s done? For all the shit he’s put you through?” he asked sternly.

Phoebe didn’t break their gaze. “It would be pretty sweet actually,” she giggled.

Sid leaned down and kissed her bruises so softly that it was clear he feared hurting her. Phoebe relaxed and melted into him. “Mmmm,” she moaned. “I’m sorry you have to see me with a huge shiner on my face. That should be your department.”

“I don’t care Pheebs. You’re still the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. I just can’t believe you were embarrassed, well… afraid to show me. I’d never hurt you or be repulsed by you,” Sid cooed as he stroked her cheek. “I feel guilty. I should’ve been there to protect you.”

“Don’t do that, don’t blame yourself. You’ve done nothing wrong. I didn’t want you to see it because I knew you’d be pissed-and I know you aren’t pissed at me- but it should never have happened and I knew you were going to want to kill him. I don’t blame you but it just sucks. And hurts! I never realized how much these things hurt!” Phoebe’s playful words elicited a slight laugh from Sidney, who couldn’t resist kissing her any longer. “So, does this mean you’re home for good now?” he asked pulling away from her just enough to audibly speak.

Phoebe smiled. “Yes, I’m not leaving you again. You’re the one who’s going to be leaving more than I will since you have to travel and all Mr. hockey star.”

“Well I have some time here that won’t be disrupted by traveling. We have a nice little stint of home games so I figured it would be the perfect opportunity to take you out on our first date,” he shot her a crooked smile and Phoebe couldn’t help grabbing onto him tighter.

“Now?” she was flabbergasted. “No, I can’t. I don’t want to go out looking this way.”

“I don’t care about that. I had planned on going for a nice dinner and then afterwards taking you dancing. But nice dancing, not to a club.”

“I don’t think this black eye goes with a sophisticated dress,” she taunted.

“Stop doing that. Don’t put yourself down. If you really aren’t comfortable we’ll hold off. But I don’t want you to feel like you need to hide…especially from me.”

When Phoebe burst out into a fit of laughter Sidney couldn’t understand what had her so amused. “Could you imagine,” she started. “We go out and people think you gave me the black eye?”

Sid laughed at her commentary. People would draw their own conclusions and it would almost be humorous if they placed blame on him since the last thing he would ever do is hurt her. “Yeah, that’d be hilarious. Not. Do you think you’d want to go out tomorrow night with me?”

“Are you asking me out?” she playfully asked him.

“Yes I am, and I’ve been waiting to do so for a long time.”

Phoebe put her index finger to her chin and looked up like she was seriously contemplating something. After a long pause to drive Sidney crazy Phoebe finally responded. “Yes, I’d love to Crosby.”

He bent down and pressed his lips against hers, “Good.” She could feel him smile into her. “I love you,” ‘he whispered.

“We haven’t even been on our first date yet, boy do you move fast!” she smiled back.

***************************************************************

Phoebe was in the process of trying to cover up her black eye and swollen cheek as best as she could. Though Sidney had spent the night, he insisted on going home to get ready and coming back to pick her up because he felt it would feel more like ‘a real date,’ which made Phoebe laugh whenever she thought about it. He was so ridiculous in going out of his way but it was so adorable and she knew she’d never find anyone quite like him. Phoebe settled on a black cocktail dress, similar to the one she wore to her bridal shower, the one that drove Sid mad, and curled her hair with a curling iron so it would look as nice as it could. She didn’t know exactly where Sid was taking her, but knowing what they were doing was all the information she needed to know how to dress. She was all dressed and ready to go and was now putting on her make-up, which was taking longer than usual because she wanted to hide the black and blue tinted skin on her face as much as she possibly could. She was embarrassed to be seen with it but Sid didn’t even notice. The only thing he noticed about it was the fact that Mike was the one who caused it and he wasn’t going to get over that.

Phoebe heard a faint knock on her door and ran to open it. When she did, Sidney was standing on the other side looking flawless in his suit and tie and holding a bouquet of roses. “Wow,” he breathed out at the sight of her in her dress. “Just…wow.”

“You don’t look too bad yourself,” she looked him up and down. Sidney crossed the threshold into her place and closed the door behind him. He instantaneously grabbed her waist and pulled her close to him, unable to resist kissing her. Phoebe was more then willing to give in to him as she wrapped her arms around him, tightening their grip on each other. “Woah,” Sid pulled away from her breathless. “If we don’t stop now we aren’t going to stop and I don’t want to miss our reservations or skip any of the things I have planned for tonight.”

Phoebe glanced up at him, “Okay. Fair enough. I’m almost ready I’m just trying to cover this up,” she said referring to her eye.

“It looks good to me. Better than yesterday believe it or not.”

“Yeah, well, give me two minutes and I’ll be ready okay?”

**********************************************************

When they got to the restaurant Phoebe couldn’t believe how nice it was. She expected to be taken to a classy place, but it was so beautiful. It was intimate and had small lights, almost like Christmas lights, running across the ceiling. There were candles everywhere and the table they sat at had a view that overlooked the city. It was quiet yet played classical music such as Sinatra and all the old-time greats, and Phoebe was floored. It was perfect.

“Sid this place is incredible. Incredible! I love it. Oh my gosh it’s gorgeous!” she silently squealed. She was a sucker for romantic settings such as this.

Sidney smiled at her, pleased with himself that she appreciated his efforts. “I thought you might like it. You deserve the best and this place is fantastic.” His hand found hers as they were seated in a way that was supposed to be across from each other but had moved their chairs so that they were situated next to each other. Phoebe lifted her head and waited for him to kiss her, which he happily did.

They ate together but didn’t need to converse the entire time. They were content, everything was perfect. Sidney had his arm securely behind the back of her chair and the subtle way their legs touched was enough for them as they worked on their meals and watched the snow flurries fly around outside. Phoebe couldn’t imagine being anywhere else at this moment and the warmth her heart felt being with the guy she knew she loved was more satisfying than anything else in the world.

After dinner Sid helped Phoebe put on her coat and held her hand as they made their way to his car. He drove them to an old fashioned club where the people were dressed to the nines and the music was vintage and performed by a band. Sid held onto her all night, his hand pressed securely against the small of her back as they danced the night away. He’d never gone out of his way to take a girl out like this before, he never wanted to. She was his everything and this was what was fun to him now. He wanted to make her happy because when she would smile at him or laugh at something that was genuinely funny to her, or her face lit up because something surprised her, it made his life that much fuller.

After the dancing was over and the night was coming to an end Phoebe and Sidney drove together back to her place, hands intertwined the entire way. When they made it back to Phoebe’s, all the tension that had been building between the two of them on the dance floor was driving both of them nuts. Sidney barely waited until she got through her door to grab her hand, spin her towards him, pick her up and carry her to her bedroom. As he placed strategic kisses down her neck to her breasts, Phoebe drank it all up. “Wow there Crosby. You move pretty fast for the first date,” she teased as he placed her down on the bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going to do something special for these two love birds for Valentines Day...so let me know how you like this. Please! Comment!!
Phoebe, this is for you, at your request :)

Also, I'm thinking of starting another story soon or after Sid and Phoebe is completed. I have no idea who to do it on though...I was thinking Zach again because my first Zach story that i posted here was done in succession. so, let me know. thanks :)