Status: May take a few days in between updates, but very much alive

Worth The Wait

ch 21- Happy Valentine’s Day

CH 21

“Don’t go. Stay here with me,” Phoebe moaned barely awake as she felt Sidney moving to get out of bed.

“I have to. We have a road trip coming up and I have to go get packed and all. You know I’d stay here with you every second if I could,” he said gently as he placed his hand on her cheek. Phoebe had gotten used to him being there every morning. She was a little too spoiled having a nice long set of home games where her days consisted of going to his games at night and waking up next to him every morning. Now that he was going to be leaving she wasn’t thrilled about it. It would take some getting used to.

Phoebe opened her eyes and peered at him groggily. “This is when I hate what you do,” she teased. “I hate when you’re gone, it’s like part of me isn’t complete.”

Sid smiled. That meant more to him than she could know. “Yeah, I know what you mean,” he ran his fingers through her hair and rubbed her head. “It’s not easy being away from you either.”

“So don’t go.” Phoebe knew everything she was requesting was out of the picture, but she figured it was worth a shot. “Besides. You’re going to be gone for what? A week? You’re going to miss Valentine’s Day. I don’t want to spend it all alone while you’re in another city. Another city that has girls who are desperate to spend it with you.”

“Oh don’t even go there. You know I wouldn’t ever do anything. I’ll probably just stay in my room.”

“And when you decide you probably don’t want to stay in your room? You’re going to go out with Jordan? Don’t get me wrong, I like him but it’s not exactly a secret that he’s kind of a slut.”

Sid laughed. “Yeah, I know.”

“And I’m supposed to be comfortable with my boyfriend hanging out with such a man whore? Someone that will be trying to convince you to cheat on me?”

Sid laughed harder and brought his lips to her forehead. “Trust me, that would never happen. Besides, Jordan likes you.”

“Yeah, I bet.”

“Aw honey, don’t worry. Just because I’m not going to be here doesn’t mean you’ll be forgotten about on Valentine’s Day.”

“I know,” Phoebe nuzzled her head into Sidney’s chest. “It just won’t be the same.”

“Of course not. But we know we love each other and that’s really all that matters. We’ll have our own celebration when I get back.”

“Fine.” Phoebe turned her head away pretending to be mad.

“Oh cut it out.” Sidney caught her off guard when he started tickling her on her sides. She fell over immediately in a fit of laughter and Sidney crawled on top of her. “I love you, okay? Nothing is going to happen. I know you’re bummed about V Day but I promise I’ll make it up to you. Now let me go so that I can pack and get ready.” He leaned down and kissed her on the lips. Phoebe sighed. “Fine. But I’m sure going to miss those lips while you’re out of town.”

“Yeah well don’t go finding someone else’s.”

Phoebe grinned. “We’ll see. Play your cards right Crosby.”

*******************************************************

It wasn’t that Phoebe wasn’t used to being separated from her significant other. When she was with Mike he was always gone- it didn’t matter if his games were home or out of town- they were never together. He could’ve played every game in Vancouver and it still wouldn’t have mattered because she barely saw him, but she was okay with it. Now that she was with Sidney any amount of time he was gone felt like it was too long. Phoebe was aware that there would be days and weeks where he wouldn’t be able to curl into bed next to her but it still didn’t make it any easier. She tried to keep herself busy but her mind always wandered to where Sid was, what he was doing, and whenever she’d hear from him she couldn’t help but smile because she knew that in that moment they were together, even if he were miles away from her.

It was still early in the afternoon and Phoebe imagined that Sid was packing and tightening up his tie. She hated that he was leaving but she liked the images of him putting on his suit. It was right about that time when she heard a click coming from her front door. She was washing her face and the noise caused her to lift her head up in confusion and she paused for a second. She ran out into the hallway and saw Sidney standing in front of her. She momentarily forgotten she’d given him a key.

“Babe! What are you doing here?” she ran and wrapped her arms around his neck. “Did you decide to stay?” she teased.

“As much as I wish I could,” Sid kissed her. “I’m actually here to give you an early Valentine’s present.”

“You are?” she asked flabbergasted.

“Yep. And I have to tell you, I hate leaving you as much as you hate it when I leave. It hurts me not being with you. Sooo,” Sid stepped out into the hallway leaving Phoebe baffled. When he stepped back in her eyes widened. “I bought this for you so that even when I’m gone I’ll still be with you.” Sidney had a huge smile across his face as he held in his arms a tiny furry puppy.

Phoebe squealed unsure of what to say. “Oh my God!! Sid! Is this for me? For real?” Sid nodded. “Oh he’s so cute! I’m already in love with him!” She wrapped her arms around the little puppy and looked up at Sidney with tears in her eyes. “He’s perfect. I love him and I love you.”

Sid leaned down and kissed her for longer than expected. “I love you too. I have to go, but take care of our baby while I’m gone.”

“I will,” she gushed.

“Good.” He grabbed her waist and looked into her eyes. “I. Love. You.” He enunciated each word with a huge smile on his face.

“I know you do. I love you too. Please come back soon, okay?”

“You know I will.” He kissed her one last time and begrudgingly turned to leave. The truth was he really hated leaving her. As much as he loved hockey, it wasn’t the only thing that mattered in his life anymore.

Phoebe couldn’t get enough of her new baby. Sidney had picked out the most adorable puppy. He was perfect. She was almost certain he was a Maltese. He was so small, he yapped and curled up into Phoebe and whenever she looked at him she saw Sidney. She had a difficult time coming up with a name but then it dawned on her. She initially wanted to name him Sidney but she knew it’d be too confusing. She realized Sidney might have been wrong, but Patrick was perfect. The middle name of the man she loved. She couldn’t believe she didn’t think of it sooner. She looked down at the sleeping angel who was wrapped up into her. “Patrick,” she smiled. When he changed positions in his sleep and let out a tiny snort Phoebe laughed. “You really are just like your daddy, huh?” Then she reached down, kissed him on the top of his soft head and nuzzled into him, scratching him behind the ears.

It had been five days since Sidney left on his trip and Phoebe was doing just fine. She spoke to him everyday but today was different. It was Valentine’s Day. She’d secretly been dreading the day since she knew he would be gone for it because all she wanted to do was spend it in his arms. The day was dragging on even though Phoebe tried to keep her mind off what she was missing out on by burying herself in school. She was thankful that she had class and could utilize her down time studying. She was hoping that she’d receive a bouquet of roses to her door but the more time passed the more she realized that she wasn’t going to be getting any deliveries. Phoebe felt so selfish, she didn’t want to expect anything but it was Valentine’s Day and even though Sid had given her a better gift than she could have thought up on her own, she still wanted to know he was thinking of her. Come to think of it, she hadn’t heard from him yet today either. She knew Sidney was busy but she definitely expected a text or a phone call. Something.

Phoebe put all her sulking into spending time with Patrick. He made her smile and she loved him more and more each day. A new piece of his personality came out the more they were together and the more she loved her puppy the more she loved Sidney. She was disappointed but she tried to understand. He was the face of the Pittsburgh Penguins and the golden boy of the NHL. He wasn’t always going to have the time to devote to her. It was different than being with Mike that was for sure. Mike might have been the captain of the Flyers but his popularity was nowhere near Sidney’s. He wasn’t on as high of a demand.

Phoebe put her pajamas on and cuddled with Patrick on the couch, choosing to watch a marathon of chick flicks. She looked down at the dog that was excitedly looking up at her, his tongue hanging out and his tail wagging. “Well, I guess it’s just you and me for Valentine’s.” She then realized that Sid must have known this was what was going to happen and that was why he’d given Patrick to her. He probably didn’t want to hurt her by telling her his schedule was so booked he wouldn’t have time to pay much attention to her for Valentine’s Day so he gave her something he knew would make her happy.

Phoebe realized that she must have dozed off because her phone buzzing next to her head on the couch awakened her. She glanced at the clock as she grabbed the phone. It was eleven o’clock. She looked down at her caller ID and saw Sid’s name. “Hello,” she answered, slightly disappointed that Valentine’s Day was over in an hour and this was the first she was hearing from him.

“Hey beautiful!” Sid sounded tired, yet very chipper.

“Hey you.” She tried to sound as nonchalant as possible.

“What’s the matter babe? You sound upset.”

“No. I’m good. I was just sleeping. That’s all.”

“Oh really? I’m sorry for waking you. Do you want me to let you go?”

“No. No! It’s okay. If you can talk for a little while then don’t hang up.” She realized she probably was giving away the fact that she was a little annoyed.

“Hmmm. I guess you didn’t get my present.”

“What? I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Well, they said they’d deliver it today. They even gave me a specific time frame.” Phoebe knew he was talking to her but it sounded like he was talking to anyone in general. “Maybe they came while you were sleeping or at class or something and you didn’t hear the doorbell.”

“Sid what are you talking about? From what I know nothing came for me.”

“Well since they gave me a delivery confirmation it has to be there. Why don’t you go check? I’m telling you, they had to leave it sitting in the hallway outside your door.”

Phoebe sighed. She didn’t want to get off the warm couch. She and Patrick were situated so comfortably that it made her feel more pathetic to have to go check for the gift Sidney sent her. It was just a reminder she was alone.

“Please?” he pleaded with her through the phone.

“Okay, okay,” she sighed. “I’m getting up now.”

“Let me know okay?” he requested as she got to her door.

“Yeah,” she promised as she opened the door.

“Good.” Sidney smiled at her as he brought the phone down from his ear and ended the phone call. Her jaw dropped open as he grabbed her waist, pulled her to him and kissed her. “I told you your present was in the hallway,” he smiled into her.

It felt so good to have her arms wrapped securely around him. “What are you doing here?!” she gasped. “You’re not supposed to be home for another couple days!”

“You didn’t think I’d be away from you for our first Valentine’s Day, did you?” he pulled away from her and bent down, picking up a bouquet of white roses. “It wouldn’t be Valentine’s Day without flowers, right?”

Phoebe was speechless. Sidney being there, standing in front of her, was surreal. She didn’t want to but she felt the tears welling in her eyes. He was perfect and she knew he had to have gone out of his way to be there for her. Sidney could tell by her face that he had completely surprised her. They went inside and Phoebe headed for the kitchen so that she could put her roses in a vase and Patrick greeted Sidney. He leaned down and pet their puppy on the head, picking him up. “Hey boy! You taking care of mommy for me while I’m gone?” The dog yelped and Sidney laughed as he placed him down on the floor. Phoebe walked back to Sidney and they pulled each other into a tight embrace. “God I missed you,” he moaned as he kissed the top of her head.

“I missed you more,” she whispered. Phoebe pried herself away from Sid and grabbed his hand beckoning him into the bedroom.

It didn’t take long for them to have their clothes on the floor. It had been almost a week since they’d seen each other and Sid was leaving again in the morning for the few days he had left on his trip. Sidney took his time and made love to Phoebe, looking into her eyes as he hovered about her, pushing in and out of her. She clung to him and looked him deep in the eyes as she told him she loved him.

After they made love they stayed wrapped up in each other’s arms. “I still can’t believe you’re here,” she gushed. “Do I even want to know how you managed this?”

“No, probably not,” he laughed. “It doesn’t matter. It wasn’t easy but,” he let out a deep breath. “it was so worth it.”

“You’re ridiculously amazing. Do you know that?” she wasn’t so much asking him as she was stating a fact.

“Eh, I’ve been told a time or two.”

She settled her head under his chin and kissed his muscular shoulder. “I love you. Thank you for being here, I don’t deserve you.”

“What did I tell you when we first got together? I told you that you better get used to me being there for you. That I wasn’t going to let you down. I love you too much.” He positioned his arm securely around her waist.

“We’ll talk in the morning, you must be exhausted. Let’s get some sleep,” she turned around and dug her backside into his hips.

“That sounds awesome baby. Good night,” he yawned, clearly exhausted.

Phoebe took in a deep breath and wiggled closer into Sid.

“Hey Pheebs,” he whispered.

“Yeah?”

“Happy Valentine’s Day,” Sid whispered which was slightly muffled by him speaking into the side of Phoebe’s head.

“Happy Valentine’s Day,” she smiled back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, I've been productive being stuck in the house during this snow storm, haha. I hope you guys enjoy their Valentine's Day. I promised it'd be up before this weekend. SOooo, enjoy it and PLEEEEASE COMMENT!!
i'll try to update soon :) thanks!