Status: May take a few days in between updates, but very much alive

Worth The Wait

ch 29-I can’t stay here with you treating him this way.

CH 29

Sidney grasped Phoebe’s waist tightly in his hands as they walked to his car. His trunk was packed with their luggage-luggage that held their necessities for their trip to Florida…and Philadelphia. Phoebe still wasn’t in love with the idea of going to see her family, but she knew it was something she had to do not just for her but for Sid and out of respect for him. “It’s going to be okay,” Sidney leaned down and whispered in her ear. She smiled and turned the side of her head towards him, taking a deep breath. “I know it will,” she said confidently and did her best to believe it.

Phoebe sat in the passenger seat and linked her arm with Sidney’s, resting her head securely on his shoulder. She breathed him in and absorbed as much of him as she could. The more she lost herself in him the more confident she grew. She didn’t care if her parents gave them a hard time because in the long run Sidney was the one who was going to be there for her day in and day out. He was the one who loved her enough to let her make her own choices. He loved her enough to let her go, and that was worth fighting for. Sidney was worth fighting for.

Sidney couldn’t understand why Phoebe was so afraid of introducing him to her parents. He knew they weren’t keen on her being with him, but he was sure they would love him once they realized he belonged with their daughter. He felt Phoebe’s head resting on his shoulder. He felt her wrapped around his arm and he smiled. Sidney loved when Phoebe clung to him, he liked knowing he was the one who she trusted enough to let herself go with.

Phoebe was sleeping. She had fallen asleep not far into their trip. She never moved from his side though and before she knew it, Sidney was lightly stroking her face cooing her to wake up. “Are we here already?” she asked groggily. Sidney laughed, “Already?” he asked. “We’ve on the road for hours. You’ve been sleeping.”

“We’re here though?” Phoebe sat up frantically trying to sweep the hair out of her face so that she would look as presentable as possible. She looked at Sid who had his hand outstretched to her, “Here,” he thought she was the cutest thing in the world. “I know you like to have gum right after a nap.” She tried to contain her smile but couldn’t resist. He knew her too well. “Thanks,” she leaned and kissed him on the cheek.

“You ready?” he looked at her sitting in the passenger seat and felt butterflies fluttering around in his stomach for the first time. Phoebe looked at him and after a brief pause she nodded her head, “Yeah. Let’s go baby.” She then got out of the car. Sidney followed her example and met her at her door. Phoebe grabbed his hand tightly into hers and they walked up to the porch. Phoebe knocked on the front wooden door and heard the familiar footsteps of her mother scurrying inside. When the door finally opened they were face to face with her mom who gave the fakest smile, which caused Phoebe to roll her eyes, grab Sidney’s hand and guide him into the house.

“No hug for your mother?” Phoebe turned around and looked at her mom with daggers. The question was ludicrous and an obvious dig but Phoebe didn’t say anything. She walked over and hugged her mother. “Hi mom.”

When she pulled away Phoebe stepped back to Sidney. “Mom I’d like you to meet Sidney. Sidney, mom,” she made it through the formalities and looked up at Sidney adoringly as he put his hand out for her to shake, “Ma’am,” he said quietly.

Her mother glared at Sidney but shook his hand nonetheless, “Well. It’s nice to finally meet you.” She then looked at Phoebe and began to walk back to the kitchen. “Dinner’s almost ready.”

Phoebe snaked her arm around Sidney’s waist and lightly rubbed his back to reassure him that she was on his side and to help ease his nerves. Even if he wouldn’t admit it she knew he was nervous. They followed into the kitchen where Phoebe’s father was watching over the stove as her mother certainly instructed. “Hi Daddy,” Phoebe threw her arms around his neck knowing that she had a better chance of her father accepting Sidney than her mother. “Dad I’d like you to meet Sidney.” Her father looked up at Sid uncertainly but not resentfully and shook his hand. “How are you?” he asked.

“Good, thanks for asking,” Sidney answered with a quick sexy smile that unknowingly to everyone else slightly turned Phoebe on. “Thank you for having me over,” Sidney looked at her mom.

“Thank Phoebe but you’re welcome,” her mom said coldly which stung Phoebe in the heart. She felt like she’d brought Sidney into a war zone when he didn’t deserve the unfair treatment he was undoubtedly going to receive.

They sat at the dinner table awkwardly with Phoebe dreading what her mother was going to say. Sidney politely pulled the chair out for her as she sat and pushed in it when she did. “Dinner looks delicious,” Sidney commented. Phoebe could tell by the stiffness in his body language that he was very intimidated by her mother. The table was decorated with vegetables chicken and salad. Everyone started passing around plates and pots of food. Phoebe had the plate with all the chicken and Sidney was patiently waiting to get some for himself and requested the plate next. “Babe can I see your breasts? The breasts- the chicken breasts!” he blurted out so quickly and flustered Phoebe’s jaw dropped as she looked at him. She nonchalantly rested her hand on his knee under the table to calm him down and slow down his racing heartbeat.

“Sidney dear this would not be the appropriate time to see my daughter’s breasts,” her mom said stoically as she tapped the potatoes from the serving spoon onto her plate. Sidney let out a nervous laugh as his beat red face looked panicked.

I-I’m sorry,” he stuttered as he ran his hand through his hair in frustration unable to believe that he blurted out the words that had literally fallen out of his mouth.

Phoebe let out a sign as she had been holding her breath. “So, Sidney’s really been looking forward to meeting you guys. It was his idea to come here, you know. And since his schedule is so busy I thought it was really sweet for him to take the time to come meet you guys.” Phoebe tried to remedy the situation.

“Well, I’d sure hope the guy I’ve never met who has been doing my daughter would want to come introduce himself.”

Phoebe’s eyes popped open, she did not see that reaction coming form her mother and she had to take a deep breath to keep from lashing out. Sidney squeezed his eyes shut and hung his head. He really could not believe this was happening, it was not at all what he had pictured. Sidney stood up from his chair, “I’m just going to go get some air outside,” he said as he leaned down and kissed Phoebe on the forehead. “Excuse me,” he politely requested from the table as he walked out of the room.

“Mom are you serious? Really? Comments like that are severely inappropriate and unnecessary.”

Phoebe’s mother dropped her fork on her plate and looked at her daughter. “Phoebe, you are my child and I will say what I see fit. It’s bad enough you live in Pittsburgh when you’re entire life is here. You’ve given up everything.”

“No! That isn’t my life. I’m not a child anymore! My life isn’t here and it hasn’t been since I was a kid. I tried to explain to you how unhappy I was with Mike and I can’t understand why you won’t even give Sidney a chance after you said you would! I love him!”

“You don’t love him Phoebe, you barely know him!”

“Mom!” Phoebe was furious and couldn’t understand why her mother was drawing such inaccurate conclusions. “I do love him, and he loves me. He’s so much more than I ever thought I deserved. Why can’t you see that?”

“Because he seduced you away from you fiancé! I’m sorry, I know you explained it to me but I can’t help but think he just wanted to screw you and rub it in Mike’s face. Don’t be surprised if he gets bored of you soon. I’m just trying to look out for you Phoebe.”

Pissed and amazed at how ignorant her mother was being Phoebe threw her left hand up and flaunted it in her mothers face. “Does that look like he’s getting bored mom? Huh? I’m marrying him. I love him and he adores me and we’re getting married this summer whether you support it or not because you know what? He’s there for me and loves me unconditionally and all you do is judge me. I talked to you about Mike, I told you the truth and you still mortify my fiancé when he’s trying to get to know you?” Empowered by her anger and her immediate reaction to defend Sidney, Phoebe quickly stood up and pushed the chair out from under her. “Thanks for dinner, but I can’t stay here with you treating him this way.” She walked away and stormed into the living room en route to the front door hoping Sidney didn’t up and leave.

Phoebe’s eyes were glued on nothing but the front door as she intended to go find Sidney but before she opened it she was quickly pulled backwards. “I’m right here,” Sidney pulled her into him. “I’m here.” He had pulled her into his chest and placed his hand on the back of her head. She could hear his noisy swallow and nuzzled her face into him. “I’m so sorry for the way she treated you, I just can’t believe…”

“It’s okay. I heard everything you said to her, I didn’t leave. Thank you for sticking up for me, I’m sorry to have caused so much trouble I didn’t realize how much they…they…loved….Richards.”

“No, Sidney…it isn’t that. I don’t even know what it is. I just think she has a problem with relinquishing control and you’re something she can’t control in my life. It’s not right around the corner anymore ya know? And I don’t care, I love you and that’s all that matters. You’re going to be in my life until the day I die so they’re going to have to get used to you.” Phoebe spoke rapidly and wrapped her arms around his neck, looking up at his obviously hurt face. “Do you want to leave?” she asked softly.

Sidney paused before nodding his head, “Yes.” Phoebe reached up and kissed him passionately on the lips to reassure him that she wasn’t leaving his side and attempted to apologize for the horrific comments her mother had made. When she pulled away she looked up at him and smiled slyly, “You wanna see my breasts now?”

Her teasing words elicited a laugh that released some tension in Sidney’s body. “I’d love that,” he responded. “Well,” Phoebe bit her lip, “let’s get out of here.”

“Please,” she heard her mother approaching through the hallway. “Don’t leave. Don’t leave on account of me.” She was finally standing in front of them where Phoebe had her arms locked securely around Sid’s waist and her head snuggled into his chest. He held onto her in desperation as if she could shield him from any blow her mother might deliver. “I’m sorry.” She walked over to Sidney, “Sidney I owe you an apology. I’m…embarrassed by the way I treated you. I just didn’t want to admit that the horrible things Phoebe told me about Mike were true because it made me feel like a bad mother for not protecting her from it.” She looked down at her feet and when her eyes met again with Phoebe and Sidney, there were tears glistening in them. “I know you love my daughter-“

“I do, very much.” It was the first time he dared to speak to her with any confidence. “I know the way we got together may not have been ideal and my track record from what I’m sure Richards told you is sketchy but I’ve never been in love before. Ever. And I love her, I love her more than I thought it was possible to love someone. She taught me what love is and how to love someone and I’m not going anywhere.” Phoebe looked up at him in amazement at his poised speech and hugged him tighter to her.

“Can we start over?” her mother smiled at Sidney with uncertainty, scared she had pushed him away too far.

“I’d like that very much,” he answered kindly.

“It’s nice to meet you Sidney,” she stuck her hand out to him. “Welcome to the family.” Sidney looked down at her hand for a second. He wriggled away from Phoebe and took a step closer to her mother. He then wrapped her up in a hug, which caused a genuine smile to spread across her face. When they pulled apart Sidney looked at her. “In my family, we hug,” he said simply and Phoebe couldn’t believe just how far he’d go to make her happy.

“Let’s go finish dinner, all of us…and Phoebe’s breasts,” Phoebe’s mom joked and led the way back to the living room. Phoebe pulled Sidney to her, “You’re incredible,” she whispered up to him. “I really can’t wait to go to Florida.”

“Me either baby, but right now I’m kind of looking forward to dinner. Get your nice breasts in there,” he playfully spanked her butt and she squealed in pure happiness as his hand found hers and he guided her back to the dinner table.
♠ ♠ ♠
AH! Sorry for such a delay! Life is busy, school sucks and finals are the devil. And speaking of the devils....ugh. it's been a rough few weeks. Soooo...

please comment! pleaseeeee! and those of you who haven't, please go check out my zach story. i'll probably update that next, but be patient with me, finals are rapidly approaching.

enjoy and drop me some encouraging words to cheer me up, i appreciate it! :)