Status: Active

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

Chapter 21

Ava woke up the next morning and turned to Billie Joe. He was snoring lightly and his naked chest rose and fell with each breath. Ava glared. How was it possible for someone to look so damn adorable? She tried to shake the mushy thoughts by dragging herself out of bed, her arm that had been curled around Billie Joe's middle trailing behind her. When just her fingertips were touching his skin he reached out and grabbed onto her wrist with a quick, lizard-like reflex. So much for being asleep. She nearly jumped out of her skin as she turned to look at him, eyes closed but an undeniable smirk on his face. He grinned mischievously and yanked her arm, pulling her on top of him.

“Where do you think you're going?” He growled low in her ear. She smiled herself as she moved until she was comfortable. They were completely naked except for the thin sheet separating their bodies and Billie's smooth skin felt heavenly against her naked breasts.

“I was going to get dressed,” She trailed off.

“Not on my watch.” His voice was smoky and smooth like an actor in one of the old black and white movies Ava loved. It sent shivers down her spine.

“Obviously not. I thought you were knocked out.”

“Well, you wore me out for a little there, but I'll always rise to a challenge.” His eyes opened lazily as he looked at her for the first time. She was smiling, big. And her hair fell in long, loose curls around the contours of her face and cascaded down her back. She ran a hand through his hair, feeling how thick and hard it was in some places where he'd failed to remove the gel. He kissed her, and she was kissing him back and it felt like a lazy Sunday morning between two people anywhere in the world. Ava sighed against his lips. This, this was how it was supposed to be.

She wrenched her lips from his mid-kiss and rolled off of him faster than he cared to think about. She yanked the sheet from his body and wrapped it around herself as she stood up.

“Hey-” He protested, left sprawled on the bed exposed, “I wasn't done with you.”

She walked to the foot of the bed and turned around to face him, the king sized sheet shuffling behind her as she held it in place beneath her arms.

“I have to take a shower,” She said and his face dropped. She spun on her heel and sauntered towards the bathroom, that sheet trailing behind her. “In that very spacious, five star, shower, that is.” She winked.

Billie was out of bed and tearing though the room faster and more destructive than the Tasmanian Devil. Ava had dropped the sheet on the tiles and was already in the shower, engulfed by steam spilling out over the glass doors.

She pushed the glass door open and stared at him, waiting seemingly patiently with a grin and not a thing else.

“Can I help you?” She asked as she sprawled her fingers across the wet skin of her hips and fought to keep a straight face with him buck naked in front of her. Her hair was dark and smooth, sticking to the wet skin on her face and chest. A droplet of water fell from her chin and ran down the valley of her breasts to her navel.

“I came to see if you needed any company,” He said, stepping closer until they stood less than half a foot apart. The steam from the shower hit his face and the sweet smell of wet girl filled his nostrils.

“It's real sweet of you to offer, but I think I can manage,” Her breasts brushed against his chest. She stepped back and grabbed onto the handle, sliding the door closed.

“I beg to differ,” Billie said, catching the door and shoving it open. He stepped in and pushed Ava up against the wall, hands placed firmly against the shower wall on either side of her face. He dipped his face close to hers, nose pressed against her skin.

“Oh yeah?” Her breath hitched in her throat.

“You,” He kissed her just above her breast, “Are a very,” his lips moved to her neck, just below her chin, “dirty girl, Ava.”

“I ought to smack you for trying to use lines like that on me,” She said, but grinned.

“How's it working?” She bit her lip and he laughed, kissing her again. “That's what I thought.”

***********************************************************************************

“Ava, you're going.” Andy stated, standing over her bunk. His hands were on his hips and his shadow blocked the little light that did make its way into the bus.

“Andy, I'm not.” She fired back, rolling over on her side.

“Ava, I am not fucking around here.” He warned. There was some backstage bash going on tonight after the show. Tre had come up with some occasion, but everyone knew it was just a justification for the number of alcoholic beverages he planned on downing. As if Ava was going to have anything to do with that shit.

“No, Daddy.” She griped pulling the pillow over her head.

“Dammit, Ava. Get your ass out of bed. We're all going to the party. I don't know what happened between you and Billie Joe, but you're fucking going. Or else.” He added, putting all of his energy into the threat.

Ava laughed. “Or else? Or else, what, Andy?” The Billie Joe comment was enough to set her over the edge.

“Please, Ava? I can't stand to hear him bitch,” Dylan called from the front of the bus. Ava rolled her eyes. “It sounds fun, don't be such a Debbie Downer.” Debbie Downer? Her? No one was going to get away with calling her that.

And since when did Billie Joe get to have all the fun?

“What time do I have to be ready?” She grumbled. Dylan gave a cheer of triumph and Andy smiled.

“That's more like it.”

***********************************************************************************

At the party, Ava hovered near the alcohol with Danielle, a beer in her hand. She ran her finger in circles over the top of the can.

“You and Billie Joe going to pretend that you don't see each other?” Danielle asked, eying her up. She was trying to hold back a grin at the ridiculous situation. Hell, if Ava was going to go on a crazy rampage and reek total havoc, Danielle might as well enjoy the show.

“That's the plan,” Ava nodded, concentrating on staring at the label printed across the beer can.

“As fun as that sounds-”

“Hello, ladies,” Danielle was cut off when Tre jumped in between them, throwing an arm over each of their shoulders and pulling them against his body. He grinned as they squirmed against him.

“Hey, Tre,” Ava rolled her eyes.

“What's cracking?” He looked back and forth between the two of them.

“Just waiting for the company of a lovely gentleman such as yourself.”

“Oh, glad to be of service.” He smirked.

“Well, I'm going to go make sure that Dylan's still alive. I saw him walking off with a bottle of tequila after he'd downed four beers. He'll never finish it alone.” Danielle winked at Ava and excused herself. She could tell Tre had something to say to her.

Ava nodded at her once.

“You know where to find me if you get lonely,” Tre winked and Danielle laughed.

He turned back to Ava. “So, how you holdin' up?”

“I'm not a kid, Tre. I know how to take care of myself.”

“Hey, I just thought you might need someone to talk to. I saw the way you were eye fucking the shit out of Billie boy for the last twenty minutes or so, obviously not over him and oh-so horny for his body. Oh, don't give me that look, you're an easy read.”

“I don't want to talk about this.” Ava brushed him off, scratching her arm. Why did he give a shit anyway?

He stared at her for a long moment and Ava squirmed beneath his gaze. “You're still fucking him.” Tre concluded, incredulous.

“What? Tre-”

“I just told you that you're an easy read. I can see it all over your face.” He didn't really sound angry or surprised, just concerned.

Ava sighed. She knew when to give in. “I can't say no.” She sounded small and defeated.

“Jesus, Ava.” He shook his head.

“You going to start giving me the cold shoulder again?” She asked and she sounded so small and helpless that he couldn't even be upset.

“What? No, kid-”

“Good, 'cause I could really use a friend 'bout now.”

“You realize what you're getting yourself into?” He asked, searching her eyes. She nodded. “He's not going to leave Adrienne.” Ava visibly cringed at her name. “He's in love with you, sure, but she's his life, Ava. They have a good marriage, and kids-”

“I know, Tre.” Ava wanted to tell him that he was wrong, that Billie Joe loved her and wanted to be with her. Maybe he did. But what did she have? She was poor as shit and rolling nothing but sixes, sevens, and nines. She was independent and bossy, and most definitely not wife material. Who would leave miss perfect for her?

“Hey, guys,” Billie interjected. Ava looked at him and the tiniest tinge of blush crossed her cheeks. Billie winked conspiratorially.

“Hey, man.” Tre nodded. Billie's eyes were a little red. He hadn't missed the way that Ava's cheeks changed color at the sight of Billie. “And that means it's time for me to go.” Tre concluded, grabbing a beer from the table and saluting the pair. Billie ignored his antics, but Ava shot him a bemused look. Tre threw up his hands and shrugged, gesturing to Billie.

Don't do anything stupid, he willed her.

I can't help it, she shrugged back.

He shook his head.

“What was all that about?” Billie asked.

“I don't really know,” She lied, “Tre's a weird dude.”

“Yeah, you get used to it.” He lifted a shoulder indifferently. “I miss you,” He said then, and Ava blushed again.

“I was just at your hotel room like two nights ago. Or have you forgotten already?”

“That's too long,” He whined.

“Well, we'll have to fix that.” She grinned. “Meet me in a half an hour, in the alley behind the bus.” She whispered, looking around the room to make sure no one was watching. No one seemed especially tuned in; Tre was no where to be seen and Mike was engrossed in a debate with Jason about The Replacements and The Ramones. “If you can last that long,” She added, eying him.

“I'll last,” He assured her. “I'm not even that drunk.” He tried to prove his point by walking a straight line. Although he was a little slanted, he managed to stay on his feet. Ava nodded in approval.

“That'll do. Don't be late. I don't wait around for anyone.” She warned him, holding up her hand. She grabbed a bottle of vodka off the table and dashed out the door before he could get another word in.

***********************************************************************************

At 2:33 AM, Ava picked up her bottle of vodka, disgruntled, and decided to call it a night. As she rounded the corner she bumped into someone and screamed, dropping the bottle. It burst into shards that scattered across the pavement and the liquor pooled at her feet.

“Jesus Christ, Billie Joe!” She scolded him, hand on her racing heart.

“Couldn't even wait five minutes for me?” He asked.

She composed herself. “I told you, I don't wait for anyone.”

He gave her a wry smile. “So, is my business still good here, or have you closed up shop?” He took a step closer.

“Depends.” She took another step back, wary of the shards of glass and crossed her arms under her breasts.

“On?” He quirked an eyebrow.

“What exactly you were looking for,” She bit her lip to hold back a grin.

He kissed her hard, capturing her lips in his. She whimpered into the kiss, letting him push her up against the side of the bus. His scent filled her head, alcohol and nicotine on his lips and Billie sweat on his skin. He pulled away when she was just starting to get aroused and leaned his forehead against hers. Her breasts moved against his chest as she drew deep breaths.

“I love you, so much,” He whispered. It was the first time he'd said it to just for the sake of it. No ulterior motives, not begging her to stay, just those words flung into the night air. They meant something different now.

She looked him in the eye, noses touching. “You better,” She threatened, heated. Then her eyes danced across his, turning playful. “'Cause I love you, too.” He grinned and grabbed her by the middle for another hungry kiss. He grabbed her by her shoulders and pushed her back, forceful. His jade green eyes gave hers a long search.

“You mean it?” He shook her shoulders just enough to make sure she was listening.

“Of course,” She grinned.

“Good,” He nodded. “'Cause it would kill me to be the only one.”

Ava ran a hand through his hair, looking up at the stars. He kissed her neck and wound his arms around her waist.

“I don't want anything to change.” She said, a blank stare on her face. Even though she'd tried not to think about them, all of her doubts were constantly seeping through her mental barrier. He's never going to leave her, Tre's warnings echoed in her head. What if Tre was right?

Billie Joe pulled back from kissing her neck. “Stop that, Aves.” She looked at him. “What happened to your carpe diem mentality?”

She shrugged and he could tell that her mind was suddenly off in one hundred different places. He wasn't even about to try to fathom what she was thinking. He always new what Adrienne was thinking, when she'd be mad with him, what she'd like for an anniversary present, exactly what she was thinking. With Ava, he never knew if she was about to sock him or give him a hand job.

“Hey,” He nudged her, and she snapped out of the trance, looking at him with sudden curiosity. “We're here, its a beautiful night, you look gorgeous, and I'm willing to overlook the fact that you spilled all of the vodka. Let's just forget about tomorrow, okay?”

She nodded and took a deep breath, hoping it would wipe her mind clean.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments = <3