You Are the Dreamer and We Are the Dream

Fall Out Boy's Evening Out With Your Girlfriend

Would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile
So many kids but I only see you.

Holly meandered slowly to the back of the stadium, to outside the first ticket booth. Her mum and cousin were waiting. Her mum came up and gave her a hug, then stepped back, still holding Holly by the shoulders. She knew something had changed in her daughter forever; maybe Fall Out Boy weren’t so bad after all. Shelby came up and looked her cousin up and down. For the first time Holly saw the layer of dirt and dust covering her clothes. She started dusting herself, one handedly of course, when Shelby whispered in her ear, ‘Everything and more, huh Holly?’ She couldn’t help but laugh, a smile alone wouldn’t have given her ecstasy justice. ‘You have no idea.’ she said, squeezing her hand gently.
As they made their way over to the back of the stadium (as per instructions), there were hardly any people around them. Holly half expected to see a tumble weed roll past. She wasn’t a bit worried about missing out on meeting Patrick, it wasn’t ignorance, it was just a sense that what had started at the concert wasn’t over.
The mass of people at the back of the stadium was mind blowing. Shelby found herself silently praying that FOB wasn’t going to be the focal point of a riot that night. They found a low wall and sat, Holly just staring up at the stars and feeling the weight of the locket in her hand. In an hour or so the crowd had really died down. There was probably just over two hundred people there now. Without saying anything Holly got up and just after hearing her mum simply say ‘One hour.’ she had gone. She walked along the outside of the small crowd until she saw him. Holly suddenly was overwhelmed with nervousness. She shook her head, no; that Holly was gone now. She took a deep breath and started walking towards Patrick Stump. She was about three metres away when he said goodbye to the girls around him and sighed. He looked to his left and saw a huge crowd around Pete still. He took a step to his right then stopped dead in his tracks. He felt butterflies in his stomach, something he hadn’t felt in a long time. The girl from the concert stood there; stunning and real, a combination he wasn’t used to. They both took a few steps forward and moved underneath the arch leading into the back of the stadium. The silver on Holly’s night-sky coloured shirt sparkled in the moonlight Patrick looked shyly up from underneath the rim of his hat and said ‘You look so good in blue’. Holly grinned and held out her open palm with the locket sitting on it.
‘To make you think of me in the same way as I think of you.’ she said quietly. He placed his hand over hers; the locket between their palms. And there it was again; the ‘this is so right’ feeling, like a key in a lock. His embarrassed smile widened
‘My smile’s an open wound without you.’ Holly gave a small laugh then, a sound which, to Patrick, warmed him to the core.
‘Okay, so we’re both Fall Out Boy nerds,’ she laughed ‘I’m Holly, what’s next?’ Patrick was in awe, and he felt himself falling. It was cute when fans came up and were all nervous, yes, but it was nice when they treated you normally too. ‘Patrick,’ he said, tipping his hat. ‘Lovely to meet you.’ She looked shyly up at him, both not knowing what to say but also knowing that they didn’t need to.
‘Here,’ she said, the first one to try and move from the time stop. ‘Let me help you.’ Holly slowly pulled the necklace from their collective grasp and put her arms around his neck and secured the latch. She was just pulling her arms away when Patrick’s hands wrapped around her waist and puller her close. His lips just lightly touched hers; then they both pulled away. She rested her head against his shoulder.
‘It’s a damn shame this could never work’ he muttered.
‘I’d say,’ she said, wrapping her arms a little tighter around him. She felt him kiss the top of her hat and, sighing, pulled slowly away. Patrick lifted her chin and looked into her eyes.
‘Lighten up, sweet.’ He said, then a light went on behind his eyes. ‘Come with me, I have something for you.’ Holly grabbed his hand and followed him into the back of the stadium. She resisted the urge to sing ‘remember when I held your hand, under the lamppost and ran.’ Patrick seemed to understand because he started to hum the tune.
The reached a small room with a crude sign on the door that said ‘cleaning equipment’. ‘To ward off stalkers.’ He said casually.
‘I’ll have to remember that.’ Holly laughed. She thought she saw a flash of fear cross over Patrick’s expression but she couldn’t be sure. She steeped inside a small, slightly rough room. There were strips of harsh light around a mirror; a small bench with a messy selection of make-up products on it; a bunch of dying flowers. A low couch was against the wall and Patrick pulled a small stool in front of it. Holly took a seat as he picked up a dark, chocolate-coloured acoustic Holly hadn’t noticed, from the corner.
‘I wrote this a while ago, I just had no idea I was writing it for you.’ Patrick said humbly, then he began to play. The sweet first notes echoed around the room. It was like the sound form of magic, Holly thought. Its tune; its rift; the chords; no only lifting her up but holding her there too. Then he began to sing, his voice straining with emotion. It was then that Holly knew this feeling of complete security, of complete confidence, in herself and her world, would last.