The Umbrella Academy

It Never Rains But It Pours

Bert’s POV

I hated being in this House! It was filled with weird paranoid soldiers! I hated them all. I came to this school all because of my dad forcing me to. I was told that I would be put in The Secret Keys, but I was sent to The Saviors! Argh!

“Hey Bert, how are ya?” someone said from behind me.

I looked back and smiled.

“Hey Quinn, I’m doing good. You?”

Quinn smiled and gave me the thumbs up.

“It’s too bad you were put in with The Saviors…I mean…really..” he said, looking at the floor.

He had been my best friend since small and he was one of the lucky people who were put into The Secret Keys, also known as Le Chiavi Di Segreto.

I put my hand on his shoulder.

“Hey, it’s ok. I mean, maybe I might be transferred to The Secret Keys because of failing the classes at Los Salvadores.” I chuckled, trying to force the feeling of jealousy away from me.

“Hope so. I got to get back, seeya later!” He said and ran off down the hallway.

I looked outside.

It was raining like always. Duh, it had to be raining or else this school wouldn’t be called The Umbrella Academy.

I just walked slowly back to my new room at the other end of the school which I needed to get used to. Man, I hated today, even though it was the first day of school.

Meanwhile...

Gerard’s POV

I still couldn’t believe I was able to be in the House I most wanted.

The Chiavi Di Segreto also known as The Secret Keys. I never dreamed of being here but here I am.

I saw Frank and Mikey walking toward me with their wristbands on, those were to tell which House you were in. There were no uniforms at this school luckily.

“Gerard!” Mikey screamed like a little kid and hugged me.

“Wow Mikey, what’s gotten into you?” I said, looking at him raising my eyebrow.

“Nothing, I just missed being next to you!” he said and I laughed as I looked around for Matt.

Frank was also looking around.

“Dude…where’s Matt?” Frank asked.

I looked around but couldn’t spot Matt anywhere.

“I don’t know….hope he’s in the same House as us cause I don’t know which House he was put into.”

Suddenly, someone behind me said,

“I saw him at the Los Adolescentes side.”

I looked behind me to see Ray with the same wristband as us.

“You made it too!” Mikey said, embracing Ray with a hug.

“Yep, I guess I did.” Ray said as he shrugged his shoulder.

“But doesn’t that mean he’s not in this House?” Frank said.

“Yeah…damn…” I muttered.

“I also heard that Bert was put into The Saviors which is faraway from who he really is.” Said Ray.

What?! Man, I hated the thought being separated from my band mates from our former school. Poor Bert.

We walked down the hall to our first classes and we parted as the bell rang to notify our that class was going to start.

I entered the class to see a lot of unknown people and a few people I knew from previous schools, but they were all the people who called me an “outcast”. I spotted a seat away from all those guys. It was right next to Quinn, my old buddy. Bingo!

I quickly sat in the seat next to Quinn who smiled at me as the lesson began.

Suddenly, the door burst open and three people came into the classroom.

“We’re sorry…we didn’t know where the classroom was.” Billie said as Mike and Tre walked into the classroom.

I admired Billie Joe Armstrong, he was such a cool guy! He was one of the people who saved me from trying to kill myself at the school that I went to before.

“It’s ok. First day of school, anyone would get lost. Please take a seat.” The teacher said as the three of them scanned the classroom.

Billie looked at me, the seat next to me, and looked at me again and walked over to where we were.

Tre and Mike sat in the seat in front of us, smiling at us as Billie Joe sat next to me.

“Hey how’s it going Gerard?” he asked, his hand on my shoulder letting me bring back memories at the old school.

“I’m fine Mr. Armstrong.”

“Aw come on Gerard. I told you to call me Billie remember?” he said as he faced front to listen to the teacher as she called role.

“Gerard Arthur Way?”

“Present.” I said.

“Abby Princeton?”

“Here!!” a girl said while checking her nails and stuff. Billie Joe looked at me and made a face, which made me laugh.

“Billie Joe Armstrong?”

“Present.”

And it kept on going until an unusual name popped up.

“Silvia Yamaguchi?”

“Uh…here..” a soft voice said next to Billie Joe.

Billie Joe looked at the girl and smiled warmly at her.

"Hey Silvy."

She looked back at him and smiled just a bit but looked down as a guy next to her hit her with a piece of paper and she glared at the guy.

“Dude, you better stop or else…” she hissed.

My fists clenched. Another outcast? Poor her…

“Whatever Silvia.” The guy said and smirked at her.

I looked at Quinn who had a worried expression on his face as the teacher kept saying the other names.

Finally, the name calling was almost going to end.

“Cameron Lee?”

“Here.” A guy said flatly.

We all looked at the guy who had thrown the paper at the girl.

Quinn jabbed me on the side.

“Ow, what the hell was that for?” I said as I rubbed my side.

“Oi! That guy is the rich kid from our school remember? He used to bully us with his friends in 7th grade!” Quinn said as he hid behind me.

I looked at this “Cameron Lee” who was glaring at us with narrow eyes.

Billie casually just looked at him and flipped back to us.

“Nothing to worry guys. Ignore him. He’s just doing that to scare you guys off.”

He is so cool with everything! That’s the reason why I admire him.

Quinn and I relaxed as the lesson went on.

After the class ended, I went over to where the girl who was packing her stuff into a black messenger bag.

The bell rang to tell that class was officially over.

While she was packing, her sketchbook fell out of her bag and I picked it up.

The moment I looked at the cover, my eyes went wide.

“You drew that?” I said, looking at her with wide eyes.

She just nodded her head and didn’t make eye contact with me at all. It was as if she didn’t want to talk to me or something.

Suddenly, Cameron flung his arms around the girl and said into her ear,

“You should remember that I’m around here ya know?”

She brushed Cameron off her and smiled at me, looking straight into my eyes with her eyes.

“Yeah, I drew these. You’re Gerard Arthur Way right? I know you, you drew those small comics and stuff.”

“Yeah…how’d you know?”

“Same school. Ray Toro, your friend, was telling me all about you. He was my lab partner.” She said.

“Ray was your lab partner?” I asked, trying to think of him in a lab coat which made me chuckle.

“Yep, and he was so funny. I know your brother and Frank too. They were in the same history class as me. They talked about you a lot. Also, Quinn here was my best friend and Billie...well let's just say that we were very very close friends. ”

"Silvy..that's a long time ago.." Billie chuckled.

"You guys were-" Quinn said but Billie covered his mouth.

“Oh…” I said, a bit disappointed that I never heard of her from my friends.

“Yeah..guess you never heard of me from the others…oh well.” She sighed.

“Can I see the other pages of the sketchbook?”

“Sure. I trust you about looking at my drawings.” She said as she smiled at Quinn who waved.

I looked from page to page and all her drawings took my breath away, every page of it.

Cameron just looked at her, dumbfounded for some reason.

She turned around to face him.

“What? I’m not like when I was in middle school you know. People change and so have I.” she said rolling her eyes.

“Whatever.” He said as he left the room.

“Which class do you have next Silvy?” Quinn asked as I gave her back her sketchbook.

“Art class, you know, the one on the fourth floor.”

“Yeah, I know that place. Gerard has that class next right?” he said looking at me.

“Uh..yeah.”

“Well, me and the others are going to a different class so seeyou guys later!” Quinn said as Billie Joe and the others followed him.

She looked at me.

“What’s up with them?”

“I have no clue…but we better get to the next class!”

“Well..duh.” she said and we ran out of the room to our next class.

Meanwhile...

Ray’s POV

Just as the bell rang, I saw Gerard and this girl I’ve seen before come into class.

Gerard spotted me and sat next to me.

The girl sat next to me also.

“Who’s she?” I said nudging him.

“Ray! You should know who she is!”

“Ray…don’t you remember me from last year?” she asked, looking a bit shocked.

I looked closer and gasped.

“Silvia? You’re in this House?” I asked, surprised.

“Yep. God Ray, for a second there I thought you forgot all about me!” she said.

“Yeah, but you changed Silvy! Last time I saw you, you had glasses and stuff!” I said.

“I know, but it kinda got annoying. But I’m so happy to see you again!” she exclaimed, hugging me.

I hugged her back and smiled.

“I would never forget you!” I said as the teacher came in.

“Taking role. Please be quiet.” The teacher said as we all faced her.

“Raymond Manuel Toro-Ortiz?” the teacher said, mistaking the pronunciation.

I rolled my eyes.

“Here.”

“Silvia Yamaguchi?”

“Here.”

“Gerard Arthur Way?”

“Present.”

“Brian Hugh Warner?”

“Here..” a deep voice said from behind us.

Silvia looked behind.

Brian just narrowed his eyes at me and looked away. He looked kind of creepy with his make up and stuff he had on.

"Brian..." Silvia said in disappointment, but she only got another glare.

"Don't fuss with him Silvy." Ray warned as Silvia sighed.

"Alright alright...."

"What's with him?" I asked.

Ray lowered his voice.

"Gah..don't even ask Gerard. Remember the prom and someone broke the lights to crash the prom?"

I also lowered my voice.

"It was him?"

"Yeah."

"Holy shit, I never knew that..."

"Well now you know..." Ray said as the name roll went on and finished.

“Your first task will be to draw something to prove that you are really an artist.” The teacher said.

I looked at Gerard and he nodded his head as the teacher gave us a sketchbook.

Silvia took out some pens, a pencil and eraser and began to draw, her eyes concentrating on the paper in seconds.

I t was quiet for some minutes until someone said they were done.

I just quietly kept on drawing my imaginations onto the paper.

Gerard peeked at my sketchbook and smiled.

“That’s good.”

“Thanks.” I said as I finished up the character I was drawing.

The teacher came over and nodded her head in satisfaction.

“You are fit to be here. You too Mr. Way. Your sketches are very good and your comics are funny. Now…Ms. Yamaguchi?”

She looked up and said,

“Could you give me one more minute Miss? I’m almost finished.” She said and the teacher nodded her head.

“You work very hard for your age Ms. Yamaguchi.”

She only smiled without looking up from her sketchbook.

She finished up her sketch and the teacher took her sketchbook.

Her eyes went wide and she looked at Silvia who smiled at the teacher.

“It has so much feeling in it. I love it. You three are very fit to be in this class.”

“Thank you.” We all said in unison.

After Silvia got her sketchbook back, we showed the sketches we had all drawn which were all breath taking.

My sketch was all dark and had a soldier looking at the scene in front of him. A mix of red and black was all over my piece bringing out this sadness in it.

Gerard’s sketch had a scene of super heroes and villains going all over the place. He had one throwing a bomb at someone and the other fighting off the villains with their lasers.

Finally, Silvia’s sketch had a girl with black wings and was dead in the middle of a plain and it was raining. The girl had blood all over her and was lying on the ground as a hand was reaching out for her from our perspective. It was a really dark sketch but it also brought out the tragic scene of the girl.

“Nice.” We all said in unison and we smiled at each other.

I looked around at the other students drawing their hearts out. I hope these kids survive this class. I wasn't really looking forward to what we were going to do in this Art Class but oh well, I got my two best friends here beside me so I didn't care.

I looked at the two.

Gerard hasn’t changed at all except for his hair color. He had a red patch on the side of his dark colored hair and it looked cool on him. Silvy, on the other hand, had red streaks in her dark hair and it looked nice on her. It really brought out her dark brown eyes.

“So…what’s after this?” Gerard asked.

“Lunch.” Silvia and I said in unison and we laughed.

“Jinx! You owe me a soda, Ray!” she said and I fake pouted.

“Noooo….” I groaned playfully.

“Haha..I’m just kidding Ray.” She laughed.

After we settled down again, Gerard started a new conversation.

“So…any changes Ray since we left the other school?” Gerard asked.

“Uh…nothing much…how about you?”

“Me neither.” He replied.

“How about you Silvy? Any changes since last year?” I said, looking at her.

“I’m in a band right now and I’m the lead guitarist, just like you Ray!” She said, smiling.

“Nice! What’s your band called?” Gerard asked.

“Mixed Up Music Band because we all come from different countries. They aren't in the same House unluckily." she said, looking down.

Something was telling me that I shouldn't ask her about it. Probably personal.

She looked up and begin to change the subject.

"I’m sorry about Matt. I feel very sorry for the drummer.” She said sadly, putting her hand softly on my shoulder.

“Ex-drummer.” Gerard muttered under his breath.

“What?” she asked, looking at Gerard confusingly.

“Matt and I had a problem with stuff so uh…he had to quit the band. Right now we have a new drummer named Robert Cory Bryar, also known as Bob Bryar.” I explained.

“Did you just say Robert Cory Bryar?” someone said from behind us.

We all turned around to see a girl who looked like a prep, batting her eyelashes behind me.

Ugh...I hated these kinds of girls...so not my type...

To be continued...