Different

Chapter 8

CHAPTERE 8

Frankie


I took a long deep sigh, breathing in the reassuring smell of her silky hair as I coiled my arms around her shaking frame, as if protecting her from something. How I longed to pull her in closer, to run my fingers through that midnight hair of hers. But now was neither the place nor the time. It would be almost taking advantage of her. And I would never do that. Never.

I loved her so much it was unbelievable. I swallowed back my tears, choking on them as I let out a strangled cough, trying to mask the sound of what were actually sobs. Indigo’s body was shaking uncontrollably, and I could tell she was crying too. Indigo needed me! I couldn’t cry! I made comforting noises and sort of rubbed the small of her back. It actually seemed to work, and her crying lessened considerably.

But I had been scared, so scared. To think of life without her was unbearable. To be honest she was the only thing closest to a friend I’d ever had. That’s why I moved here. Make a “fresh start”. It seemed that was all my family were good at. Running away from the problem. Reassurance? Forget it. Hah. And to think that they were surprised I didn’t tell them about what happened with those Jocks! But they were in the past. They couldn’t hurt me now.

When I moved here I had no hopes. Why should it be different here? Different jocks, sure. Different school, maybe. But what did it matter? I was always considered great fun to beat the shit out of by jocks wherever I went. But then I met Indigo. She had changed my life already. It was as if I had lived here all my life, gone to this school all my life. Known Indigo all my life. Before – that was nothing. As far as I was concerned I had known Indigo forever, even if in reality this was not the case.

I rested my chin on the top of her raven head, feeling how delicate her body was. I could feel her ribs, and I had no trouble fitting my arms around her. Why was she so thin?

I heard her take a deep rattling breath and I lifted my head from hers, looking at her amazing Jade eyes and long black eyelashes. Her eyeliner was all down her face but it didn’t matter. She was beautiful anyway.

A single black mascara tear ran gracefully down her porcelain skin and I gently lifted a hand to wipe it away.

“Frankie…I’m…I’m s-so s-s-sorry…I didn’t mean to sc-scare you” she whispered shakily, looking as if her whole world was collapsing around her. And it must have been after what she’d been through. I couldn’t believe she was blaming herself for what that stupid git had done to her.

“Indigo! It wasn’t your fault! None of this was! Don’t think that please! It’s that idiot…what’s his name? Jake! None of this is your fault!”
She looked up at me sadly. I hated to see her like this.
“B-b-but I’m a f-f-fr-freak! I kn-know I am! I sh-shouldn’t even b-be alive! I deserve to die!” she said so shakily that I could only just make out what she was saying. But I heard it alright.
“No!! Indigo you are beautiful and different! You don’t deserve to die! No-one does! Never think that, do you promise me?” Indigo was staring at me, her eyes wide and surprised.

“Th-thank you” she said finally, “I promise”
I looked at her shyly. “Thank you? What for?” I asked.
“For saying I was beautiful” she whispered, and smiled for the first time in days.