She's With The Band

Chapter 11;

The mosh pit was loud and buzzing excitedly. Imelda was thrilled not to have to deal with that today. She was already annoyed with the obnoxious and rude fan girls, so she stepped over to the right and handed her pass to a security guard. He waved her through and she skipped backstage. Jack noticed her first and sent her a genuine smile that made her heart give her chest a lap dance.

“Mellon! I was worried our fans had throttled you! Tell me, are you feeling faint?” he asked.

“I am, quite. I figured some good old rock n’ roll would cure me. Could you manage that, love?”

“Consider yourself rocked, bitch!” he laughed. Imelda moved out of the way as Evan went running past to get to the sound booth. Alex followed behind, clutching his teal guitar with the “TURD” sticker.

“Hola!” Imelda said.

“Hey hey, Mellicious,” he hollered, rushing to her side and kissing her cheek eagerly. He nudged her ear with his nose and pecked her earlobe, “Hi…” he whispered.

“Hello,” she replied softly, wrapping her arm over his chest and playing with his hair.

Before they knew it, Rian ran onstage and went right into Poppin’ Champagne. Alex reluctantly yanked himself away and watched as Jack and Zack also appeared in front of the crowd, much to their delight.

“I’m playing for you, babe,” he called as he jumped on stage. A wave of relentless energy leapt from the crowd and Alex grinned. They began to play their set as both Alex and Jack sent her smiles and waves throughout.

“So, Pomona. I need your advice on a little something,” Alex sighed, walking over to Jack’s side of the stage and sitting on his amp. The crowd cheered.

“There’s this girl…” he began. Dozens of girls started screeching, as if they thought it may be them he was talking about, and many others were booing because they knew it wasn’t. He ignored them.

“She’s so fucking cool. And she can keep up with the band, she sings like a fucking angel… but I don’t know how to show her how amazing she really is. Any ideas?”

Several people shot their hands up. He pointed at a little brunette against the barrier. “You! What’d you got?”

“I LOVE YOU!” she shrieked.

“I love you, too,” Alex replied coolly and called on a big burly guy in the center of the pit.

“Get in her pants!” the guy announced.

“OK, that’s one option,” Alex sighed, turning around and winking at Imelda who just laughed.

“What if I asked her to sing with us?” Alex suggested. Imelda’s eyes widened and she began shaking her head violently. The guys in the pit cheered to see this heavenly goddess that Alex was describing. The girls booed; they wanted nothing to do with his little crush.

“Melda, c’mere!” Alex demanded. Imelda backed away from the stage and both Matt and Grieco shoved her on behind Jack. He turned and grinned at her, handing her his microphone.

“Go nuts, bee-yotch!” Jack said quietly and stepped aside.

“Why don’t you introduce yourself?” Alex suggested, tucking an arm around her shoulders.

The crowd jeered her and Alex flipped them off. Zack nodded encouragingly at Imelda who smiled. “I’m Imelda Quinton. I won the Merch Bitch of the Year contest and I’m here with All Time Low and Alex wants me to sing with them. Any requests?”

Alex laughed and kissed her forehead. “You’re a natural,” he whispered.

Once again, the girls screeched with agony and sent Imelda a strange boost of confidence. She had something they didn’t- her superman- Alexander William Gaskarth.

“This next song requires a fucking dance party! Let’s Let it Roll!” Jack commanded, beginning one of Imelda’s favorite songs.

Rian banged away at the drums and the other three boys bounced around the stage like maniacs. Imelda danced around with them, attempting to warm up her voice as much as she could while Alex sang.

The time on the clock reads half past four;

I'm wide awake and thinking

With my pillow on the floor

That maybe I'm just wasting my time dreaming

In a harsh reality

I don't wanna wake up just to find out

I've been deceived...

He glanced over at Imelda and nodded.

Imelda froze and in the five seconds of time she had before she had to start the chorus, her entire body felt like she was sinking. There was a sickening pressure in her head, her skinny knees were quivering excitedly and she looked around anxiously. But it all disappeared like the Joker’s pencil trick when she twisted around to see Jack smiling at her. He looked so confident in her, so proud. He gave her everything she needed.

Let it roll

Our time is fleeting so we take control

From California to my home sweet home

Our days repeating like it's all we know

It's all we know

The mosh pit went insane. The jealous fan girls seemed to forget that moments earlier, Alex was ready to make out with this girl in the middle of the stage. He hadn’t lied about her voice- it was immaculate. Imelda gaped at the screaming adrenaline that raced through her body when the shrieking ensued. “Circle pit!” she commanded. Alex laughed into the mike.

“Go Mellon! Go Mellon! Go Mellon!” Jack chanted. The rest of the band joined in and the pit sang along.

Imelda sang the rest of the song all on her own with Alex and Jack adding her backup vocals. It was the most thrilling, terrifying, cliché experience of her life. She was so ready for this summer.