Pushing My Limits

Ventisei

My body shook with each cry that escaped me. My heart couldn't slow down and I could barely see through my glossy eyes. My hair was plastered against my forehead and mascara ran down my cheeks. I could taste my salty tears in my mouth, and the blood from my chewing my lip, "Kathrine," It was dad, and I recognized his tattoos as he wrapped them around me. Mom was in the doorway, hand over her mouth and watered eyes, "Police are on their way there. Please stop crying," He whispered, though I knew he was crying too.

"It's all my fault," I sobbed and he shook his head.

"None of this is your fault, Kat. I promise you. We'll get you out of this mess, but right now you need to be strong for the rest of the family. They're worried about you," He brushed my hair with his finger tips, but deep down I knew nothing was going to be fine.

I felt like a child again, crying into Daddy's arms. Except, when you're a child your tears are for scratched knees and getting in trouble. Now it's dealing with real problems in life you just can't face.

I felt safe in Dad's arms. I knew he could and always would protect me, no matter what.

^^^^^

A white car pulled up to the mental institution located in Palm Springs. It was a gloomy day, rare in the sunny desert. Overcast but humid, clouds hung low over the sky in front of the sun. The car parked and the man known as Elliot stepped out. He put out his cigarette before locking his car and making his way to the front desk.

"Excuse me, I'm here to visit Danielle Cordova," He smiled, "I called yesterday."

"Oh!" The woman pulled out a visitation form and looked down at the name, "Chris, right?" She asked and Elliot nodded, "Go right in," She smiled warmly.

^^^^^

I curled into Chris' side, once again staring at the ocean. The sand was warm, and I had allowed myself to let the tips of my toes touch the water. A breeze blew through the beach, causing me to shiver. Chris wrapped an arm around me and sighed, "Kathrine, I've been meaning to talk to you," He said softly. I leaned my head against his shoulder.

"About what?" I asked and he took in a deep breath.

"I know you need me here, but I don't feel right staying," He told me and I lifted my head to look at him.

"What are you talking about? My parents like you. I know you and Dad got off on the wrong foot, but that's over now," I told him and he shook his head.

"That's not it, Kat. But don't worry. Mark will be here in a couple hours to kind of take my place. It'll be alright," He assured and I shook my head.

"If Mark is coming here then where are you going?" I demanded.

"I'm going to find Elliot," He confessed and I stood up.

"Police are meeting him at the hospital. They found him, Chris, you don't need to go anywhere," I put my hands on my hips, and I pictured myself looking like Mom when she argued with Dad.

"You don't understand, Kat. I want to find him before they do. I want to punish him myself," He stood up as well, staring me in the eyes.

"What are you going to do!? Kill him!? If you do that, you'll be nothing more than the murderer he is! What then, Chris? You'll get thrown in jail and I'll be left alone forever!" I threw my hands in the air and huffed.

"I want my justice, Kat. It's all my fault that this happened to you!" He pointed a finger and I shook my head.

"It's over, Chris. What happened, happened. I'm finally coming to understand that and you aren't helping," I said in a low voice.

"You don't understand the amount of guilt I feel because of this. I want to make him hurt for everything he's done to you."

"You're not leaving me, Chris. I won't let you!" I shouted.

"You're so God-damned stubborn!" He yelled back, "I'm doing this for you! I'm getting revenge for you!"

"I don't want revenge! I want you here with me!" I crossed my arms over my chest and huffed.

"You're going to have to learn that you don't always get what you want," He said softly. He stepped forward to grab my hand but I stepped back, avoiding him, "This isn't fair, Kathrine."

"You brought it on yourself," I said before simply walking away. Jimmy was standing on the patio, watching us. Chris remained on the beach as I ran into Jimmy's arms. It was the first I had seen him since the hospital.

Jimmy had gone home for his own doctor's appointments and to take care of Leana. I was glad he was back, and hopefully Leana was with him. I missed her as well, "He's just trying to help, Kat," He held me tight to him.

"He's ruining everything right now. All I want is him to stay with me," I told him and he sighed.

"Sometimes you have to let the people you love go. Besides, the police will probably get there before he does," Jimmy tried to comfort me.

"All the more reason for him to stay with me," I mumbled into his chest and he laughed.

We went inside as Chris went to the guest room. He wouldn't leave until Mark arrive safely at our house. It would only be a few more hours before then, and Chris would leave. I didn't want him to leave, because I was afraid he wouldn't come back.

We went on as usual, Chris locked up in his room. We ate dinner. Mom, Dad, Jimmy, Leana, Zacky, Gena, Alex, and Me. We surrounded the table with take out spread everywhere. No one was in the mood to cook, so we settled with Chinese.

I got to hang out with the girls for a while. Dad locked himself in the office with Jimmy and Zacky after dinner. We cleaned the kitchen and talked softly amongst us. The word was that Michelle and Brian were on their way down, as Johnny and Lacey were staying behind to watch over our forgotten pets and homes.

"Maybe tomorrow we can go see a movie," Leana suggested. In bad times, our usual fallback was to take a shopping trip. With Gena's money troubles, it would be difficult to have the same effect with an empty wallet.

"That's sounds good," Alex smiled and I sighed.

"Yeah," I muttered and Mom sat down next to me.

"VAL!" I heard Dad call from the office and Mom got up to meet him. I leaned my head against Leana and sighed once more. There was nothing on television and all we had to do was wait for word on Elliot.

All of a sudden, everyone jumped up at the sound of banging on a door. We looked down the hall and saw Dad, Zacky, and Jimmy in front of Chris' door, "Open the door, Chris!" Dad yelled and the door opened. Chris stood there, confused.

"What's going on?" He asked, but Dad didn't reply. He put the phone to his ear and let out a deep breath.

"Yeah, he's here. Been here the whole time," Dad explained and we all waited anxiously for him to hand up. Finally, he pocketed the phone and turned to meet my eyes. I held a breath and waited for bad news, "Kat..." He trailed off and I shook my head.

"Get it over with. What happened?" I asked and he looked to the floor.

"The police said they checked with the hospital to check for any sign of Elliot. About fifteen minutes ago, someone checked in as a visitor under the name of Chris," He nodded towards Chris standing in the doorway.

"Are police almost there?" I asked.

"They're half an hour away. Security can't make arrests at the hospital and Palm Springs police can't get involved unless the District Attorney approves. We're hoping security can at least hold Elliot just until police get there."

^^^^^

Elliot walked through the halls with a smug look on his face. He reached the door he was looking for and opened it.

Danielle was sleeping soundly as he shut the door. He smirked before letting out a loud cough, causing the girl to sit up slowly. When she did, she screamed. Elliot rushed to her, muffling her mouth as tears poured out of her soft eyes.

"Hello again, Danielle."
♠ ♠ ♠
The first chapter to my new story Missing is up. Check it out :)

BTW, this isn't the end. I said two chapters, but maybe a few more to tie things up. The end is new my friends.