Of Shellfish and Snowflakes.

one.

“Hey, sorry I’m late.” Kaoru smiled apologetically as the front door opened, shimmying out of his jacket when Shinya stepped aside to let him in.

“It’s fine,” The drummer nodded, taking the coat from him and hanging it up on a peg. “At least you can say you’re fashionably late.” He grinned, eyeing the halo that hovered above the older man’s head and the long, white robe that reached the floor, hiding his unholy black leather boots from view. Well, he didn’t have any sandals, for goodness sake. He was a rock star and this was the most white he’d worn in one sitting.

“You can talk,” Kaoru grunted, nodding at the taller man’s attire. “You have a tea towel on your head.” He opened the carrier bag he’d brought with him and pulled out a pair of large fluffy wings that had bits of tinsel sewn in to make them sparkle in the light. “Now, be a good boy and help me put these on.”

“I’m a shepherd,” The brunette frowned, adjusting the said tea towel so it sat right on his wavy hair before doing as he was told and helping his band leader to put his wings on, stepping back after he was done to admire his work. “Aww!” He squeaked, clapping his hands together, unable to help it. The shorter man looked too sweet in his costume, frowning at himself in the hall mirror with his bottom lip jutting out, his halo bobbing up and down when he moved his head, that he just wanted to squeeze him. “Oh, Die is gonna love this!”

“He’s here?” The guitarist raised an eyebrow at the man behind him, ignoring Shinya’s outburst of squeals and hand clapping. He snorted at the nod he received in response, shaking his head. “How the hell did he get here before me? He’s never on time for anything.”

“I think he was quite eager to show his outfit off. Which, I think, you need to talk to him about.”

“What?” Kaoru blinked, looking up at him, before frowning again. “Is he wearing that Mrs Santa Claus costume again? I swear I hid that away from him.”

“Kaoru, I don’t think you could call that a costume,” Shinya giggled, dislodging his tea towel by pushing his hair off his face. “It was more of a negligee covered in fluff.” He paused to adjust his turban, before making his way to the closed living room door, beckoning Kaoru to follow. “You’ll see what I’m talking about.”

Kaoru followed the shepherd like a sheep into the lounge, greeted by his band members, mutual friends and people he’d never met before, all babbling loudly to each other over nibbles and drinks. There were a few other shepherds scattered round the room, an array of angels perching on every available surface and a couple of Santa Claus’s dancing with their respective elves. But, there was only one lobster.

This lobster was chatting animatedly to a large Christmas pudding, wearing a wide grin and clutching a beer bottle in his left claw. This lobster had huge, deep brown eyes that were a little unfocused but gleaming brightly and spoke of how bouncy he was currently feeling. This lobster was Die and he had just spotted his angel standing across the room from him, staring at his brown haired shellfish with his mouth wide open.

“Kaoru!” He shouted gleefully over the noise, deafening Toshiya in the process. He received a punch from his cake shaped friend but it didn’t stop him from bounding over to the older man, claws outstretched for a hug. “Aww, you look so cute!”

“And you look… like a giant lobster…”

“I know,” Die was practically beaming down at him, cuddling the older man close to his red latex clad body. “It’s amazing, isn’t it? Do you know how hard it was to find a lobster costume?”

“I can imagine,” Kaoru chuckled a little, still perplexed and bemused. “It’s not really very Christmassy though, is it, Die?”

“What?” The taller man blinked a couple of times, then frowned down at him, his eyebrows knotting in confusion. “You’re the one who suggested I wear something Nativity-esque after the fuss you made last year.”

“I made a fuss last year because you were wearing something completely unsuitable for outdoors,” Kaoru laughed, remembering the commotion last year’s costume caused. He himself didn’t mind the skimpy outfit in the slightest, but apparently Shinya’s party guests didn’t want to see a tall, slender man in Christmas themed undergarments that were meant for women. “And, Die, ignore that film. There were no lobsters present at the birth of Jesus.”

Die pursed his lips for a while, clearly unconvinced by Kaoru’s statement and considering his argument against it. The older man smiled up at him quietly, waiting for a response. He guessed that the brunette wouldn’t give in easily and he was probably willing to argue about this all night, especially since he’d consumed alcohol already. Kaoru didn’t mind though. It would be quite amusing for a while and when he had enough, he had his methods to shut the other man up.

“Hey, Kyo!” Die called to a relatively large snowflake that was currently drifting past them, deciding that he needed a second opinion. The vocalist turned his head, scowling at his fellow band member while dancing slightly on the spot. “A lobster is Christmassy, right?”

“Die, I really need a piss and it’s gonna take me about half an hour to get out of this thing,” Kyo waved his hand in a dismissive manner and continued drifting towards the door. “Ask me your bullshit afterwards, okay?”

The brunette pouted at the blonde’s retreating form, before glowering in response to the low chuckles coming from Kaoru’s throat. He gave him a little shove, the pout becoming more pronounced. “I don’t know why you’re so bothered about it,” He grumbled, sounding a little offended, folding his arms a little awkwardly due to the pincers covering his hands. “At least I’m the only lobster in the room. I’m special.”

“That you are,” Kaoru nodded in agreement, a wide smile on his lips as he stretched his neck in order to reach the taller man’s ear, “And as long as it’s easy for me to get you out of, I don’t care what you wear.” He whispered, his voice slightly husky. To underline his words, he slowly traced the tip of his tongue around the inside of Die’s ear, before pecking him shortly on the lips.

The brunette couldn’t stop a small grin breaking free at the contact and he closed his eyes instinctively, opening them slightly again to peer at the older man through his eyelids. “You’re too dirty to be dressed as an angel.”

“And you’re too tasty to be dressed as a lobster.”