Status: Completed

You and Me Could Write a Bad Romance

Feeling Sorry

The loud chatter around our table in the crowded restaurant wasn’t enough to distract me from the awkward silence at our table. Next to me, Cory stirred his freckled lemonade around while keeping an eye on the time on his phone; he’s on his lunch break from work. Across from me Heidi avoided all eye contact while staying silent. Next to her was Aiden, trying to make small talk but nothing was breaking the ice.

Reaching up, Cory took the cigarette out from behind his ear then looked at me, “I have to get going, babe.” He muttered, “I didn’t realize this place was going to be this busy,” He pointed out, “But when my food comes can you put it in a box and bring it by for me on your way home, please?”

“Yeah,” I confirmed then I leaned over and kissed his lips lovingly, “I’ll see you in a bit.”

“Alright, love you.” He stole one more kiss then he took another drink of his lemonade before standing to his feet while placing the unlit cigarette between his lips, “I’ll see you two later too.” Cory mumbled to Aiden and Heidi before grabbing his phone off of the table and making sure he had his keys.

“Love you,” I said simply.

“Love you.” He said again then started out of the restaurant.

Once alone with Aiden and Heidi, I stared over at them silently waiting for one of them to say something. Sensing this, Aiden shifted himself then looked over at me as well, “So, how’s Aaron?” He wondered.

I rolled my eyes, not wanting to talk about my Brother, “He’s alright I guess, he’s sorta just hanging out on the couch doing a lot of nothing.”

“He crushed his heel, right?” Aiden went on.

“Yeah, broke the same leg as the crushed heel and he also cut his arm.” I wrinkled my nose, “It’s more than a cut actually, apparently before they stitched it up you could see the bone. Thankfully I wasn’t home to witness it.”

Aiden laughed then nodded, “I’ll be right back,” He muttered, “I need to go wash my hands before my food comes.” With that, he left the table.

Raising my eyebrow, I looked over at Heidi and cleared my throat, “So,” I started, “How’s married life?”

Heidi looked over at me, “Different but good,” She whispered then shrugged her shoulders a bit.

“Well, that’s good.” I agreed.

“I’m sure our marriage isn’t as great as yours and Cory’s will be though.”

“Fucking hell, Heidi.” I rolled my eyes, getting irritated, “Why do you talk like that?” I wondered.

“Like what?” She frowned as she gazed over at me.

“Like your life is so fucking terrible, like it’s so fucking hard you can barely survive?” I clarified.

“You have no idea, Hallie. You’re life is perfect.”

“Hardly,” I laughed, “My life is hardly perfectly.” I shook my head, “Just because I have an open and healthy relationship with most everyone in my life doesn’t mean it’s perfect.”

“Name one thing that’s bad.” She challenged.

“Ok,” I agreed, “I don’t have a job anymore, I had to quit before I got fired. I have no money now, meaning I have to rely solely on my parents for everything then once I get married, Cory will be paying the bills until I can find another job and no one is hiring right now, I’ve been looking. Not only that but my Mom won’t be able to see me get married because my Brother is a dipshit and it’s only a matter of time before I decide to quit regular school and go into home school.”

Heidi rolled her eyes, “Those are hardly problems.”

“To you,” I raised my eyebrows, “But they’re causing me an unknown amount of stress,” I trailed off, “And a year from now, Aiden will still be by your side, he’ll still be sharing a bed with you every night, I’m going to be alone. Have you heard Cory’s band?” I wondered, “They’re good, Heidi and I’m not just fucking saying that because Cory’s the drummer, they have a huge following around here, they’re leaving this shitty town, it’s inevitable and guess what, I can’t go with him.”

Heidi said nothing as she looked over at me.

“I’m scared shitless that while he’s out on the road, I won’t be enough to keep him faithful, you know how he gets when he’s been drinking and what not.” I shook my head, “He’s been good until now only because I’m usually with him or there are people at the party who would tell me if he slipped up but when he’s out on the east coast, who’s going to tell me anything? None of the guys will, that’s for fucking sure.” I frowned deeply, “So, while you worry about if you’re going to have a boy or a girl, I’m stressing about how I’m going to keep Cory in my life in the long run.”

With wide eyes, Heidi continued to stare over at me as Aiden sat back down at the table. I shook my head then laughed a little bit, “We all have problems Heidi, it’s called growing the fuck up.” I pointed out, “And pushing your friends away from you is the last thing you should be doing right now, Mindy and I know this is hard on you but at least Aiden didn’t walk out on you when you told him you were pregnant, he stepped up to be your husband and a Father to a baby that isn’t his. So what your parents kicked you out, once you have that baby, trust me they’ll want you to move back in or at least they’ll want back in your life.”

“Hallie,” Heidi started to whisper.

“No!” I snapped not wanting to hear her half ass apology, “Suck it up,” I demanded, “It’s a rude thing to say but it’s true, it’s what I’m doing, it’s what Mindy’s doing, it’s what we’re all doing.”

Nodding her head, Heidi silently agreed with me before sighing softly, “I’m sorry I’ve been a bitch.”

“Don’t worry about it.” I muttered as the waiter came and dropped off our food, “Can I get my half of the check for these two plates and two large to-go boxes please.”

He nodded, “Of course,” He said then walked away.

“I’m over all of this and it needs to be put in the past, are you still going to be a bridesmaid at my Wedding or do I need to find a replacement?” I wondered, looking over at Heidi.

“Do you still want me to be one?”

“If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have asked the question, Heidi.” I pointed out.

“Yeah, I’d like to still be a bridesmaid.”

“Ok,” I agreed as the guy came back with everything I asked for then left again, “Then you have your dress already, you know when and where the Wedding is, we’re going down the night before while Cory and his friends head over to Reno for his Bachelor party then arrive in South Lake Tahoe the morning of the Wedding if they’re not too hung over.” I made a face as I started to put mine and Cory’s food into their respective boxes, “Give me a call if you have any problems getting there,” I insisted once the food was all in the boxes then I got into my purse for money, “I’m busy until then, I have family to be dealing with, a Christmas eve party with the in-laws and then I have to get through the actual holiday itself. After that there’s last minute details of the Wedding…” I trailed off as I tossed down the money onto of the check, “I’ll see you two later.”

With that, I got up with both boxes and my purse before leaving Red Robin. Once out in the parking lot it didn’t take me long to get into my car and drive over to the Pizza parlor. As I walked in with the box of Cory’s food, I glanced around at all the little kids in the place, it was then I noticed it was a birthday party. At the counter, I waiting patiently before I saw Cory come out from the back with a large, round tray of personal pizzas and breadsticks, “I’ll be right there babe,” Cory said stressfully as he glanced at me while walking by.

I nodded then watched as he served the little kids with pizza, then quickly got out of there. Tossing the tray onto the counter, he let out a sigh as he leaned over and kissed my cheek and took the box from me, “Thank you, I’m starving.” He admitted as he opened the box and took out a french fry, “You’re here rather quickly.”

“Yeah, I guess I lost my lid with her, I put her in her place then left as soon as the food arrived.” I whispered.

Cory eyed me then picked up his bacon cheeseburger and took a big bite out of it, “Did you make her cry?” He asked with his mouth full while covering his lips with a napkin.

“No,” I answered softly.

He chewed quickly then swallowed the large amount of food in his mouth, “How come you look like you’re about to cry?” He wondered once his mouth was empty.

“Do I look that way?” I wondered while watching him reach over to the other side of the register and grab a clear cup filled half way with some sort of soda.

“Yeah,” He answered then took a drink out of the cup.

“I just admitted something out loud for the first time, that’s all, it has me worrying.” I whispered then I walked around the counter, “Are you coming over after you get off?”

“No, I have to head home but I want you to meet me there, I have extended family coming over today and tomorrow is a ‘family day’, don’t make me endure it alone.” He smirked as he placed his burger down in the box, “But before you head over to my house if you can, you should hang out with Aaron a little bit, he’s feeling real shitty about everything.”

“Good, he should.” I rolled my eyes then cupped Cory’s face between my hands, “Be good, Babe.”

“I’m at work, what kind of trouble can I get into?” He teased.

“Just … be good.” I ordered.

He nodded, “Ok,” He smiled, “I’ll see you tonight at my house?” He asked.

“Yeah,” I confirmed then I kissed his lips softly a few times before pressing my forehead to his, “I love you.”

Silently, Cory wrapped his arms around me tightly, “I love you, too.” He whispered in my ear.

“Forever?”

He pushed me away and studied me, “What’s wrong?”

“Just answer me,” I ordered, “Forever?”

“Forever,” He confirmed, “I wouldn’t be getting married to you if I wasn’t going to love you forever.”

“Ok,” I agreed, “I’ll see you tonight.” I said simply then I left without another word but as I walked towards the exit, I could feel Cory’s green eyes studying me intently, trying to figure out what was wrong with me.

I just hope Cory proves me wrong about when he starts touring, I hope he can keep it in his pants and stay faithful because if he can’t, it’ll be the death of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
You barely get by, the rest of us are tryin', there's no need to apologize, I've got no time for feeling sorry.