Status: Completed

You and Me Could Write a Bad Romance

Keep The Girl

Lying across the large bed with my head in Hallie’s lap as she worked on some math homework, I listened to her sweet voice sing along to the country music playing from her iPod through our dimly lit bedroom. Though I know Hallie would never dream of becoming a professional singer, she has the voice of an angel and I’m not the only one who thinks that. Anyone who has ever heard her sing would agree, she could make it to the big times if she had the right mindset but she’ll forever have that girl next door attitude. Completely down to earth and doesn’t take a thing for granted.

Opening my eyes, I stared up at my Wife as she made a face and chewed on the end of her pencil, pausing her singing for a mere second before her face softened and she went back to singing while writing something down on the notepad sitting next to her on the bed. I smiled softly then closed my eyes once more, feeling more than content in our new life together.

Valentine’s Day is in two days and the last month has been nothing but a whirlwind of emotions. The day we got back from our Honeymoon not only did our parents reveal to us that they all had chipped in and bought us a furnished house but I found out that Hallie was pregnant, ten weeks at that time, and we also learned that Heidi and Aiden just up and left Lodi to move up to Washington in a small coastal town just outside of Seattle apparently. The news of Heidi moving crushed Hallie, even though she didn’t show it, I could see it in her eyes that she was depressed. They had their fights, sure, but at the end of the day Hallie considered Heidi one of her best friends and nothing was going to change that, not her marriage to Aiden or her unplanned pregnancy; nothing.

Now, it’s the 12th of February, Hallie is almost sixteen weeks pregnant, she’s enrolled in independent studies through a small charter school here in town and her Grandfather gave her a job at his construction company as the office manager seeing as how his last one was fired for stealing and Hallie needed a job since she quit her job at Target. And I’ve just been going with the flow I suppose, I’m still enrolled at our high school, still working at the pizza parlor, and still making weekend trips down to Lodi for band practice. We are actually playing more shows than we have been and we’re also recording an EP soon, which I’m pretty stoked on.

“Cory?” Hallie whispered softly as she shut her textbook along with her notebook, “Babe, when are you leaving for LA to record that EP?” She wondered.

I looked up at her and shrugged, “Spring break, I think.” I informed her, “Nothing is set in stone just yet, why?”

“I was just wondering,” She muttered as she ran her fingers through my hair then a gentle smile tugged the corner of her lips up into a cute, crooked smirk, “It’s Saturday, and we’re still in bed, not doin’ a damn thing.”

“You’re working on school work,” I pointed out as I sat up and laughed.

“Yeah but I sort of wanted to head up into the city to go shopping, I need maternity clothes, Babe, I’m getting’ too big for my jeans.”

“Do you want me to come with you or were you thinking about taking Mindy or your Mom?”

“I don’t know, do you want to go?” Hallie sighed as she climbed off of our bed and walked over to the window. She pulled the curtains to their respective sides before tugging on the strings for the blinds, letting the late morning sunlight into our bedroom.

I shrugged at her question, not really caring either way, “I’ll go if you want me to but I don’t want you to be bitchin’ at me once we’re at the galleria or some shit like that.”

Hallie shot me weird look before she stretched towards the ceiling, “Well, maybe I’ll call Mindy, see if she feels like going shopping with me,” She wrinkled her nose then shrugged as she walked into our bathroom, “Or maybe I’ll take your Mom, I haven’t spent that much time with her lately, everything has been so hectic.” She paused, “I’ll give your Mom a call, see if she doesn’t have any plans.”

“Ok,” I agreed as I stood to my feet and left the room without a word. Once I was downstairs, it was like I timed it perfectly because the doorbell rang out loudly. Taking the few steps from the staircase to the front door, I unlocked it then tugged it open to see Aaron standing there with the aid of his crutches as a pretty brunette stood shyly behind him, “Hey,” I said softly as I looked out towards the street, hoping I’d see April of Nathan but I only saw an older jeep Cherokee parked in front.

“Hey, is Hallie here?” Aaron wondered.

“Yeah,” I took a step to the side and motioned for the two of them to enter, “She’s upstairs in the bathroom, I think she’s taking a shower.” I raised my eyebrow, “What do you need Hallie for?” I questioned as I shut the door once the nameless girl was inside.

“That’s not your business yet,” Aaron said in a cocky way as he started towards kitchen, “Oh, Cory this is Monica, my girlfriend … Monica this is Cory, Hallie’s Husband.”

I offered the pretty girl a gentle smile, “Nice to meet you.”

“You too,” She replied quietly, obviously she isn’t much of a talker.

“Well, it’s going to be a while, she literally just got into the shower when you rang the doorbell,” I informed my brother in law, “Help yourself to fridge but leave my booze alone and don’t touch your sister’s pudding, it’s the only thing that calms her when she’s having shitty mood swings.” I rolled my eyes as I grabbed my cigarettes from the coffee table along with my lighter, “I’m going to go have a smoke,” I said simply before I maneuvered my way through the house until I was outback.

Lighting up my cigarette, I inhaled deeply before exhaling up towards the sky as I studied my backyard, thinking to myself that it could use a tree or two and maybe a flower bed, something to give it a bit of spark because right now it’s bare and bland, completely boring.

“Ugh, Cory …” I heard Mindy sigh from behind me then the back door shut, “Do you have to stand there with your hand down your pants?”

I looked down at my free hand that I had tucked into the front of my PJ pants but above my underwear.

“You and Jeff both, boys are gross.” She wrinkled her nose, “What’s up with Malibu Barbie and Ken eating your food in the kitchen?”

“They’re waiting for Hallie,” I looked in at Aaron then I turned my eyes to Mindy, “What are you doing over here?”

“Jeff was called into work this morning, I was going to stay home and eat ice cream all day but I decided against it and came over here.”

“Hallie’s going to go up to the city to go shopping for new clothes, I think she was thinking about asking you to go along with her and my Mom.”

Mindy smiled happily, “You’re not going?”

“No, I’m going to stay here … maybe go down to Lowes and pick up some paint and see how much trees are and what kind of trees they have.”

“Trees?”

I nodded as I pointed to the manicured lawn with my cigarette between my fingers, “Don’t you think the yard could use a tree or two? Something for shade and to give it personality.”

Mindy shrugged her shoulders as she studied the yard, “It needs something, I’ll give you that.”

I inhaled deeply on my cigarette before exhaling up towards the sky then I glanced over at my Wife’s best friend, “Can I ask you something and not have you run off and tell Hallie?”

“As long as it doesn’t involve you cheating or your death, I can do that.”

“It doesn’t,” I assured, “I’m just worried about her, I know that she thinks I’m going to cheat on her when I’m officially on the road and honestly, I don’t know if I am, I can stand here and swear up and down that I won’t but I’d just be lying…”

“So you want to cheat?” Mindy frowned.

“No,” I frowned, “I’m just saying, it may or may not happen and … I don’t know, I love her, I want to grow old with her and have to her be my Wife until the day that I die but…” I trailed off, seeing as how I started rambling about something entirely different than I had planned on talking about, “Anyway,” I started again, getting back on track, “When I’m out on the road, I don’t want her to be alone, especially with a new baby, that’s a lot of stress on anyone and I was wondering if you and Jeff might want to move in?” I asked as I eyed her, “Jeff has been looking for a better place for the both of you anyway, and it’s not like our extra rooms are small, because none of them are, they’re all bigger than most people’s master bedrooms.”

Mindy smiled softly, “Are you serious?” She wondered, “Do you want me to lie to Hallie about wanting to move in for different reasons?”

“Yes,” I admitted, “I just don’t want her alone and with you here she has her best friend and I’ll feel safer being away know that Jeff is here with you two just in case something bad should happen, he’s an intimidating dude, no one will fuck with him willingly and he can keep you two girls safe and the baby.”

Nodding her head, she agreed, “I get where you’re coming from and for Hallie’s sake, I will and I’ll make up some shit story about how I can’t stand that apartment anymore,” She wrinkled her nose, “And about you cheating on her,” She licked her lips, “Hallie will have patience with you, trust me, just … just don’t do it and if you do, don’t make a habit of it. She loves you and she’s willing to stand by your side through right and wrong with her head held high because she’s proud of her and loves what you guys have together. Don’t be a complete douche and ruin it for her, ok?”

“Ok,” I agreed, knowing she’s right.

“Also, if you do cheat, don’t hide it, just tell her because if you hide it that makes you a liar too, being a cheat is bad enough, she doesn’t need you lying to her too.” She started towards the back door and glanced over her shoulder back at me, “Please, Cory, don’t ruin your marriage for some band slut just wanting free booze and bragging rights. Hallie is amazing to you, granted she can be naïve and innocent at times and she is the ultimate example of the girl next door but her love is real, you won’t find that anywhere else.” With that she went back into the house, leaving me alone to finish my cigarette.

I looked back out over the yard and took the last few hits off of my cigarette before putting it out and walking back inside of my house, only to hear a bunch of yelling, mainly from my Wife.

“God Damn you, Aaron!” Hallie screamed with anger and disappointment held in her voice, “What the fuck were you thinking!?” She went on.

“What were you thinking!?” Aaron countered.

“I’m married!” She snapped, “My Husband wants this baby, he isn’t just putting up with it, he actually wants and loves the person growing within me!”

“Well, I love my baby too!”

“Bullshit!”

I made my eyes wide with shock as I entered the living room to see my Wife standing there in a pair of black panties and a white v-neck shirt while holding a pair of jeans in her hands. I studied my Wife then looked over at Aaron before Monica, who was standing behind Aaron crying silently caught my eye. I sighed softly, not being able to imagine what she’s going through right now, I would’ve been horrified if I had gotten Hallie pregnant our freshman year of high school, and there’s no doubt about it, Hallie and I wouldn’t be together right now if we did have a baby, yeah I would be there for the kid but Hallie and I would’ve been history.

As my Wife and her younger brother fought like a couple of wolves, I continued to watch Monica, knowing she’s scared. Aaron probably told her that there was nothing to worry about, that having sex would be the best thing to ever happen to them, I was there once, I talked Hallie into having sex with me for the first time in eighth grade, after that she wouldn’t let my penis touch her for a year, that’s probably how Monica is feeling right now. Aaron probably wasn’t the boy she planned on marrying when she got older, and he definitely isn’t Father material, hell I want my kid and I don’t even think I’m Father material.

Walking over to the pretty yet freaked out girl, I took her hand in mine softly before tugging her out of the living room and outback, where it was quiet and no one was arguing about whether or not they’re ready for a child. Once outside, I inhaled deeply before speaking softly, “Are you ok?” I wondered.

She shrugged as she reached up and wiped away her tears, “I’m fifteen and pregnant, how ok do you think I am?” She whispered.

“Not ok,” I answered then I pulled out a chair from the patio table and pointed to it for her to sit down while I pulled another one out for myself. I sat down and once I was sitting, Monica followed my actions.

“How do I tell him that I don’t want it?” She wondered, “That I don’t want the baby, that I want nothing to do with the baby.” She muttered, “Aaron is nice enough and he’s cute but I don’t want a baby with him, it’s my body meaning it’s my baby, right?”

I shrugged, “Depends who you ask,” I pointed out, “Yeah, it’s your body but it’s his baby too, he should have some say in what you do, don’t just go get an abortion without talking to him.”

“Not abortion … adoption.” She corrected then rolled her eyes, “I want a closed adoption, I don’t want to deal with this.”

I looked over my shoulder and inside before back at Monica, “Don’t,” I whispered, “If you don’t want the baby that bad, give it to Aaron and let it be done,” I shrugged, “Aaron won’t want an adoption, trust me, and Hallie will give you hell if you give that baby up to strangers.”

Monica eyed me, “I can’t have it in my life, do you understand?”

“I do,” I agreed, “Have it then give it to Aaron, write it down in a contract somewhere or do it legally so that you wont have anything to do with it at all.”

She thought about what I just said then shrugged a little bit.

Suddenly, the back door flew open and Hallie walked out, still in just her panties and v-neck and still holding onto her jeans, “Fix these for me, Babe,” She ordered as she handed the pants to me.

I took them from her, “What’s wrong with them?” I wondered.

“The zipper won’t come up, it’s stuck and I can’t do anything with my nails,” She informed me. She got her nails did for our Wedding and decided that she liked having a French manicure. They’re not too long but they’re just long enough to prevent her from doing some simple tasks, such as fixing her jeans.

I eyed the zippered then sighed as I fiddled around with it until it came loose, “Here,” I muttered as I handed the pants back to her only to watch her pull them on and zip them up, “My parents are on their way over,” She said aloud, “And Aaron is going to get his ass kicked by my Dad.” She frowned as she shook her head.

“You need to calm down,” I ordered.

“Calm down!?” She screamed at me, “Cory, my brother knocked up some girl!” She wailed, “I cannot just calm down!”

“Our baby,” I pointed to her stomach, “This stress isn’t good on our baby, if you want me to, I can call your doctor and get a second opinion on that.”

She narrowed her eyes on me and huffed, “Fine, I’m calm.” She hissed before pacing the length of our patio. I watched her intently, knowing that she feels like this is her fault but it isn’t, she has been nothing less than a good role model for him and we even gave him condoms to insure that this wouldn’t happen because he was going to have sex with or without protection and it looks like he did it without, that or he didn’t properly use the condom.

Today was supposed to me a calm, mellow day yet it’s turned into world war three and I can’t help but feel bad for the young couple, they’re not ready to be parents, hell, Hallie and I are barely ready. Aaron and Monica shouldn’t have to grow up this quickly, it’s not fair at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
I need to tear down that wall between this little town and that big ol' world, gonna chase my dream and keep the girl.