Status: Completed

You and Me Could Write a Bad Romance

Happy ... Birthdays?

-Three Months Later-

“What are you naming him?” Monica asked me softly as she glanced over at my belly that looks like it’s about to pop at any given time. Since legally sorting everything out, her attitude has calmed down just a bit and in the recent weeks as she nears her due date, she’s been seeking forgiveness from my Brother as well as trying to befriend me and the rest of my family.

“Noah James,” I answered bluntly, not really wanting to talk about my Son to the girl who broke my Brother’s heart.

“Cute,” She turned her eyes down to her own baby bump, “I don’t know what Aaron is naming our baby, he hasn’t told me anything about the plans he has after I give birth.”

“That was the deal, Monica.” I reminded her, getting annoyed with her.

“Yeah,” She agreed before she lifted her eyes and she glanced around the pizza parlor Cory used to work at. It’s Ted’s seventh birthday and my parents are throwing him a huge pizza party with family members and a ton of little kids who apparently know Ted, I swear the kid is best friends with every child here. He deserves this party though, in the last few weeks the attention has been on Aaron and his Baby’s Mama drama as well as his physical therapy for his foot. He can finally walk on it but the pain is still there and he walks with a ‘pimp limp’ as he likes to call it.

“Hallie,” Mindy muttered as she flopped down in the empty chair on the other side of me, “I have a headache,” She informed me, “We’re never throwing Noah a birthday party this big, ever.”

I raised my eyebrow and looked over at her, “I want to agree with you but I know that once his first birthday rolls around I’m going to go over the top with everything.” I admitted. Growing up, my parents always made sure that they went over the top for my birthday, they do with all of their children, so it’s only right that I want to do the same for my Son.

“Yeah, I suppose you’re right.” She agreed before she reached over to my plate and stole my half eaten breadstick, “Do you still want to head into the city after this?” Mindy asked, covering her full mouth with her free hand.

“It doesn’t matter if I want to or not, I need to.” I let out a sigh, “My due date was yesterday and Noah still needs so much.”

“He doesn’t need that much,” Mindy challenged, “What do you have to get?” She wondered, “Some more clothes?”

“Not just that but, I need more bedding for his crib, I only have one sheet set for it and what happens if he throws up on it or shits all over it?”

Mindy laughed softly, “You need to relax, Hallie. We don’t have to go up into the city for that, we can just go to Wal-Mart or Target for that kind of stuff. I think you’re just freaking yourself out because he’s so close to being here.”

I placed my hands on my belly then shrugged a little before standing up, “I guess,” I muttered before maneuvering my way through the crowds of kids so I could go to the bathroom. Once I was in the restroom and did what I needed to do, I washed my hands then walked out only to see that my immediate family was gone, except for Ted who looked completely dumbfounded as he stared at the entrance of the pizza parlor.

With my eyes wide, I started towards Ted but I was stopped by my Grandpa, “Sweetie, your parents just left with Aaron and Monica,” He said in a soft tone, not wanting to worry the party guests, “She collapsed,”

I pointed to the restroom, “I wasn’t in there that long,” I insisted then I nodded a little, “Is it the baby or her?” I wondered.

“I don’t know but apparently this isn’t the first time this has happened.” He shrugged his shoulders, “Can you stay here with me, help me with Ted and his friends?”

“Oh, yeah.” I agreed then I looked over at my little brother whose look of bewilderment has since turned into devastation. I walked over to him and sat down on a chair that he was standing next to. “Hey Buddy,” I said, gaining his attention.

He looked at me silently but said nothing.

“Some birthday party,” I smiled, “Do you feel old yet?”

Ted shook his head no before looking back outside, “I want Mama and Daddy back, we have to have cake.”

I ran my fingers through his light brown hair, “They want to be here but Aaron’s baby could be in real danger, he could be really sick and they need to make sure everything is fine.”

He wrinkled his nose then just shrugged, “But it’s my birthday.”

“I know,” I hugged him tightly and kissed his temple, “I’m sure they’re going to make it up to you, I promise.”

As I backed away slowly, I felt a sharp pain that felt like the contractions I’ve been having for the last few weeks but it was ten times more intense than they have been. Gasping quietly, I tried to hide it from Ted and once it was over I exhaled slowly.

“C’mon,” I heard my Grandpa say as he put one hand on my back and took my hand in the other, “I know that look, I have four kids and all of them have kids, I know the look of labor. We need to get you to the hospital.”

“I’m fine,” I said as I stood to my feet, “I’ve been having contractions for weeks now,” I assured him.

“Hallie,” He said sternly.

I looked up into his caring, worried eyes, “I can’t ruin Ted’s party more than it already has been ruined. My water hasn’t broke, I’m fine.”

He narrowed his eyes on my skeptically, “That means nothing, you can still be in labor and not have your water break, Hallie.”

“I said I’m—“I was cut short when I felt like I had just wet myself.

“You need a hospital,” He said then looked around, “Mindy, it’s time!” He called out to my best friend.

“Now!?” Mindy squealed with a mixture of happiness and shock in her voice, “Ok,” She went on then she came over to me from seemingly out of nowhere and took my hand, “I’ll drive her, you call everyone,” She ordered my Mother’s Father.

“Ok, and drive safely, please.”

“I will,” Mindy assured him as she guided me out.

I glanced over at my little Brother sadly and knew that his day is beyond saving and this isn’t fair to him at all.

-------------------------

Lying in my hospital bed, feeling tired and somewhat achy, I glanced around the private room that I went through my labor in, gave birth in and now, be staying in for the next two to three days while I recover from my low risk ‘text book’ delivery. A few feet from my bed, was the hospital provided crib that my Son is currently sleeping in. I opted for the ‘rooming in’ option because honestly, I didn’t want Noah so far away from me in the baby nursery being taken care of by strangers that I don’t know or trust while I can’t watch them taking care of my infant.

Instead, Noah’s nurses come into my room to help me with Noah and where I can make sure he’s being treated with care. I’m a first time Mother who is extremely protective over her child, I had no idea I would react the way that I am when I was pregnant. I thought I wouldn’t mind Noah being in the nursery so I could get some time to actually sleep before I take him home and suffer sleepless nights for the next three years of my life but as soon as I laid eyes on that little green eyed boy who looks everything like me and nothing like his Father, besides his eyes, I didn’t want anyone to even look at him without my permission; it’s crazy.

“Hallie,” Mindy whispered as she continued to admire my little bundle of joy, “I’ve seen newborn infants before and usually you can’t really tell who they look like right out of the womb but damn, woman, he is a mini you.”

I smiled tiredly, “Cory’s gonna be pissed,” I teased.

Mindy glanced over at me with a gentle smile, “I highly doubt it, I’m sure he’ll be thrilled once he sees the pictures of Noah.” She assured me.

We sent Cory pictures of Noah but his phone is dead and he can’t get internet connection out in the middle of the highway on his laptop and apparently everyone else’s phone is dead or on the verge of death; haven’t those guys ever heard of car chargers?

So, Cory hasn’t seen Noah just yet but I can promise you that he’s trying his hardest to find a way to get some internet or to charge his phone so he can see him.

“Have you heard anything about Aaron’s baby?” I asked Mindy.

“No, sweetie.” She answered as she got up and walked over to my bed, sitting on the edge of it, “The last time I heard anything, it was when they were planning an emergency c-section, but I told you that already.”

I wrinkled my nose, “I hope the baby is ok,” I muttered, knowing Aaron couldn’t handle the loss of his Son, he’s already so in love with him that it isn’t funny.

“Me too,” She agreed softly as we both fell quiet.

Mindy and Jeff were the two people in the room when I gave birth. Mindy was videotaping it so Cory could watch it and Jeff was coaching me, as much as he can’t handle blood and things like that, he sucked it up to hold my hand and get me through my labor and delivery since I decided against any pain medication. Now, Jeff went home to make sure everything is clean and ready for Noah’s arrival, he even went to Target to pick up those last minute items I couldn’t pick up.

My family that once was out in the waiting room has since come in, seen Noah, and has left. The only people I let hold Noah was Cory’s parents, my Grandparents and Cory’s sister, his brother didn’t want to hold him for fear he’d break Noah. The majority of my side of the family is over at the UC Davis Medical center with Aaron instead of being here at Sutter, with me, and that’s where they need to be. Aaron needs them more than I do right now, I just want to be left alone.

“Are you hungry, yet?” Mindy asked, breaking our silence.

“Not really,” I admitted.

She narrowed her eyes on me, “Your Doctor said you should try to eat a little something,” She reminded me.

“You sound like Cory, telling me what my Doctor has told me to do.”

She laughed, “Well, he doesn’t tell you this shit just for shits and giggles,” She pointed out.

“I think you’re wrong,” I joked as I closed my tired eyes, “I think he is doing it for shits and giggles.”

“You would,” Mindy laughed more before I felt her get up off of my bed, “I can’t get over how small he is,” She whispered.

I opened my eyes to look over at her, “Well, his parents aren’t really tall people.” I said softly, “I’m barely five four and have you seen my Husband? It’s not like I married the world’s tallest man.”

She laughed, “He isn’t that short,” Mindy insisted, “It’s just all the guys around you two are all six foot and taller so it makes him look shorter than he really is. Five nine is average height.”

“He’s five eight,” I corrected, “And he just grew that eighth inch in the last year.”

“Guys develop later than girls,” Mindy pointed out, “But seriously, Noah is tiny.”

“He’s healthy, that’s all I care about.” I forced a gentle smile, “The fact that he only weighed six pounds and eleven ounces was just a bonus for me so I didn’t have to push an eight pound baby out of my body.”

Mindy laughed softly but it suddenly stopped when my door opened. Turning my eyes towards the door, my heart raced wildly in my chest and I felt like screaming at the top of my lungs at my unannounced visitor.

“I can only stay for an hour before I have to go play a show.” Cory’s voice said softly as he grinned cutely.

I studied him then turned my eyes to Mindy, “You knew,” I said sternly.

“Yeah, I did but when I called to tell him you were in labor he really was on the highway with a low battery,” She defended.

I turned back to Cory only to see that he was now standing next to me, “I have a show in Orangevale tonight, I thought you knew.” He muttered as he placed his hands on either side of me and leaned down, kissing my lips lovingly, “I told you a few days back that I’d been spending tonight at home and that I hoped Noah would arrive on his due date so I could see him.”

“I don’t remember you telling me that,” I admitted as I stole another kiss then pointed over to the crib, “He’s over there.”

Cory looked over at the crib then stood up straight, making his way over to our Son. As he stood next to the crib, gazing down at the little boy we made, he grinned proudly, “Oh my God, Babe,” Cory started, “He looks just like you.”

I blushed, “He has his Daddy’s eyes.”

Cory looked over at me, “Yeah?” He wondered.

“Those infamous green La Quay eyes,” I confirmed, “He’s going to break so many hearts with those eyes.”

“Like his Daddy,” Cory teased as he winked at me then turned his attention back to our Son. Carefully, he scooped him up and cradled him in his arms for the first time and as I watched this I saw that instant bond between Noah and Cory and I knew nothing will ever come between the two of them.

Cory may like to party hard, drink like there’s no tomorrow and participate in drug use from time to time but at the end of the day he truly is just a simple family man, trying to pay the bills the best way he knows how and love his family fearlessly and whole heartedly. There is definitely no other man I would want to share my life with, and I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow or even an hour from now, I don’t know if my Nephew is healthy and I don’t know if Aaron’s sanity is still intact but I do know that right now, at this very second in time, my life is completely, amazingly perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
In the sunlight or the rain, brightest nights or darkest days, I'll always feel the same way. Whatever road you may be on, know you're never too far gone, my love is there wherever you may be, just remember that you'll always be my, Baby.