Status: Finished!

Your Eyes Tell Me What I Need to Know

Two

Not even a week in New York and Katrina was going out of her mind with worry. Somehow from the time she sat down at the table with Abby and to leaving the event, she had left her phone somewhere at the event. When going back later that night, it was no longer there and since it was after midnight, there was nothing she could do about it. She’d have to wait until after her first practice with her team to figure out what to do. The only problem was her whole life was in that phone, including pictures of her grandparents and her as she started playing professional soccer. Things that she wouldn’t be able to get back if she didn’t get her phone back from whoever found it. She had to admit that was one of the worst things she has done.

Meeting some of her new teammates was a little nerve wrecking for her. Katrina knew that she would be here for at least two years, so she wanted to be able to get along with them. Although she knew Abby told her not to worry so much, she still did and now she understood why. The girls on the team weren’t the stuck up players she had been worrying that they would be. And when she told them that the reason she didn’t answer any of their calls was because last night she left her phone at the charity event, they had a good laugh about it.

After leaving practice in a pair of shorts and a tank top with a pair of soccer sandals on her feet that were now free of the shin guards and socks. Not waiting to take a shower since she was the last one to leave the field besides Abby since she was her ride, Katrina was surprised to see someone signing autographs. It was odd since it wasn’t one of the girls, it was a man. Walking past them, she had her soccer bag over her shoulder and Abby was walking with her. “So did you know that the website had to order more jerseys with your name and number on it?”

Katrina looked at her confused. “But I haven’t even played a game yet.”

“But you will,” Abby laughed. “And you’ll have fans supporting you the whole way.”

“That’s actually kinda cool,” Katrina admitted. “So I think tomorrow I’m gonna go car shopping.”

As they passed by the man signing stuff, Katrina felt a hand on her shoulder. Stopping and turning to look at who had touched her, she found herself looking into a pair of familiar blue eyes. She couldn’t hide the shock on her face as he smiled at her. “I had hoped that you hadn’t left yet.”

“No, I was the last one. Well one of them,” Katrina said. “Abby’s my ride since I haven’t got a car just yet.”

“Then I think you may want this back,” he said reaching into his pocket and taking out an iphone from his jeans. “I believe you left this last night.”

“My phone,” Katrina said surprised. “You picked it up? I realized I didn’t have it and went back and someone said some guy took it. When I asked who had it they didn’t know.”

“Well since I knew you’d be here, I thought I would return it to you.”

“You have no idea how thankful I am for that,” Katrina told him. “Everything I need is on this phone. I was going crazy with worry.”

“It wasn’t a problem.” Hank smiled at her. “My number is under Hank. I understand that you are new to the city and without many friends out here, it can become overwhelming.”

Hearing a horn honk twice, Katrina saw Abby smiling at her as she waited for her. “I guess I should get going, but thank you for getting my phone back to me.”

Heading to the silver car that was waiting, Katrina opened the back door and tossed her bag inside before shutting it. Glancing back to where she had been talking to Hank, she saw he was still standing there, watching her. She gave him a small smile before opening the car door and getting inside. Buckling her seatbelt as Abby sped out of the parking lot.

“So I see you are into goalies.” Abby said with a smile on her face.

“What do you mean?”

“The guy you were talking to,” Abby told her. “He plays hockey for the New York Rangers.”

“He told me that last night,” Katrina said. “So he’s the goalie?”

“You really haven’t had the hockey experience,” Abby told her with a laugh. “We’ll have to go to a game before our season gets here. Maybe he’ll get you tickets.”

“I barely know the guy.”

“I didn’t say anything had to happen.”

“But I only met him last night,” Katrina pointed out. “I don’t want to go asking him for tickets.”

“I see your point,” Abby said. “You don’t wanna come off the wrong way. But if he offers you tickets, then tell him yes. It would be a fun time.”

“Whatever you say,” Katrina told her as Abby pulled up to the curb outside of her apartment building. Getting out of the car, she grabbed her bag from the back seat. Keeping it in hand she thanked Abby for the ride home as she grabbed her keys before she went inside. “So I guess I’ll see you next week? For the workout and practice?”

“Yeah, sounds good,” Abby told her. “And if you need something, don’t hesitate to give me a call now that you have your phone back.”

“Thanks, Abby.” Katrina said with a roll of her eyes as she backed away from the car and headed into her apartment building while holding her keys in her hand and her soccer bag in another.

Taking a quick elevator ride up to her floor, Katrina got inside her apartment. Closing the door with her foot before dropping her bag on the floor, she let out a sigh of relief. Turning around she put the chain on the door and then locked the deadbolt on the door before heading into the kitchen. Dropping her keys and phone on the counter she opened the fridge and took out a water bottle that was half gone and closed the door. Drinking it slowly, she listened to the silence. When she lived out in Los Angeles, that never happened. There was no silence; it could have been because Shannon had a key to her apartment. But the new apartment was very quiet, something she’d have to get used to. Leaving the empty water bottle on the counter in the kitchen, Katrina made her way towards her bedroom. It was time that she had a shower and then she’d figure out the rest after she got out.

After her shower, she dressed in a pair of sweats and a tank top. Crawling onto her bed, she laid there for a minute before her eyes started to feel heavy. Before she knew it Katrina was out.

It had felt like she had just shut her eyes when Katrina woke up to a loud pounding on her apartment door. It took her a moment to actually get off the bed, but when she did, she grabbed the sweatshirt off the end of the bed and threw it on before going to the door. Turning the deadbolt, she kept the chain on as she opened it up. Looking to see nothing there, she let out a sigh and closed the door again before flipping the lock.

Heading to the kitchen, she picked up her phone and went to her contacts and called Shannon. She needed to talk to her friend before she went insane with how quiet it was. But it went to voicemail. Placing the phone down, Katrina made her way to the bedroom and changed into a pair of jeans and tennis shoes. Grabbing the black elastic hair band off her dresser, she ran her hands through her hair before gathering it up and putting it into a high pony tail. Grabbing her messenger bag, she made sure that she had her wallet inside. Her keys and phone were on the kitchen counter. Making her way out that way, she grabbed them both and placed them inside her bag. But when she got to the door, she walked towards the couch and turned on the lamp so there would be a little bit of light in case it was late when she came home. Grabbing the keys back out of her bag she walked to the door and unlocked it before taking the chain off and walking out of the place. She locked it up before she headed to the elevator and down stairs and onto the streets of New York City for her first time alone and in the city.

By the time the sun started to go down, Katrina realized that she hadn’t been paying close enough attention to what stop she got at when she had taken the subway to do a little bit of shopping. Now she wished that she hadn’t left the apartment at all. She had tried calling Abby, but her phone was turned off and now she wasn’t feeling so great about her big adventure into the city by herself. This wasn’t supposed to happen. It sure didn’t happen in the movies. This was not what she had planned for this night. Now all she wanted was to go home, but she didn’t know what direction to go in.

Hearing her phone go off, she opened her bag and took it out to see Shannon’s name and picture on the screen. Feeling tears sting her eyes, she sat down on the bench as she accepted the call. “Hey, Shannon. How’s the team doing?”

“Hey!” Shannon laughed hearing the first question Katrina asked. “I was actually calling to see how things with the new team are going.”

“We had a sort of practice,” Katrina told her. “It was more of a workout combined with getting to know anyone that wasn’t part of the Washington Freedom.”

“Was there someone else besides you that was traded?”

“No,” Katrina sighed. “It was just me. And last night I lost my phone at the event. Luckily for me I got it back today. But I mean come on Shannon this has to be a sign that I’m not meant to be in New York. Hell right now I’m lost as the day is long and I can’t reach Abby.”

“Katrina, take a deep breath,” Shannon instructed. “Now you have got to stop talking at fifty miles an hour, because I will never understand it.”

Katrina laughed. She couldn’t help it. Shannon knew just what to say to get her to calm down when she was stressing out. “I tried going out on my own and now I’m lost. Abby’s phone is off and now I don’t know what to do.”

“There has to be someone else you can call,” Shannon told her. “Like the man you’re seeing?”

“I’m not dating anyone.”

“You are according to the internet,”Shannon informed her. “You are dating the starting goalie for the New York Rangers. He came to see you after your practice and you talked for a while before he put his number into your phone and you left with a teammate in a car to the rest of your day.”

“Shannon, do these people ever get lives?”

“Well there are pictures of him handing you, the phone outside and it looks like fans around.”

“Practice ended, it went better than I anticipated, but it wasn’t great,” Katrina informed her. “Hank found my phone at the charity event that we met at last night. He held the elevators open so that I could make it upstairs since I was running late. He was bringing my phone to me. That’s it.”

“Is he cute?”

“You don’t like long distance relationships,” Katrina reminded her. “But he did put his number into my phone before showing up to give me the phone back. Wait you said there were pictures of us online. So why are you asking if he’s cute or not?”

“The pictures show the back of his head but some fan said who it was. He does have some nice hair though. So why haven’t you called him?”Shannon questioned her. “He obviously wanted you to have it and if you aren’t going to use it then I need to know why.”

“I wouldn’t want to bother him,” Katrina admitted. “I think he only gave me his number because he felt bad for me. I don’t want to deal with that.”

“Why do you automatically go there?”she questioned her. “Not everyone is looking for a charity case. Plus you aren’t one. You are able to pay for your own way and look at where you are.”

“Lost in a city I have barely lived in,” Katrina said. “I don’t know if I can do this.”

“You can knock that shit off,” Shannon told her. “You grew up in San Diego which isn’t too far from LA, so you knew what to expect and where to go. This might be new territory for you, but I know you’ll be fine. You just need to give it time. And call that goalie to come rescue you from your lack of sense of direction.”

“I don’t want to bother him if he’s busy.”

“Katrina Anderson, that man gave you his number so that it can be used not to sit in your phone untouched.”

“Okay.”

“Does that mean you’re gonna call him?”

“It’s the only way I’ll be able to get home,” Katrina sighed as she pushed some of the loose hair out of her eyes. “I’ll call you back soon, Shannon.”

“You better,”she said. “I don’t need to hear tabloids that you gotten lost and no one can find you and what not.”

“Bye, Shannon.”

“Later Kat.”

After hanging up the call, Katrina went through her contact list and found the name she was looking for. The only one in the H section. Hank. It was just his name and a number. Which was unusual for her, since she preferred to have pictures with the caller ids. Taking a deep sigh she saw a text message. Opening it up, she read it and had to roll her eyes. Just call him alreadyShannon knew her too well. She knew she was delaying calling him. Going back to his name in the contacts, she hit the call button and put the phone back up to her ear and hoped that she wasn’t going to ruin something that he was doing.
♠ ♠ ♠
A huge thanks to Pensrock for everything!!! I appreciate it!!!

And there's another chapter. Hope ya'll like it and leave a comment.