Status: Complete.

Give Love a Try

Chapter Eleven

Shanes POV

I whispered I'm sorry one more time as Nate stormed away from me. What had I done? Had I really broken the friendship I had with Nate before it really even lifted off the ground? I bit my lip. I hadn’t cried in years. I didn’t want Nate to be the person I cry over. I hadn’t moved since her walked away. I stood staring at where he had been standing. I closed my eyes and those tears betrayed me. They cascaded down my cheeks, my chin and onto the dirt at my feet. I sighed and walked into the cabin, throwing myself across my bed in the process. I hated what I done. I don’t even know why I did it. Why did a constantly strive to outdo everyone? Why do I say I'm an extrovert when really, I prefer to be alone. I hate myself for being this way. I kicked my shoes off and sat up. I pulled my shirt over my head and got under the covers of my bed. I just wanted sleep.

Nates POV

Why is he such an asshole?! I screamed a frustrated scream into the night. It echoed off the surrounded trees, but I hoped that the kids still at the jam didn’t hear it. I kicked the dirt around my feet. Why was this camp so dirty? I groaned. I hate him. I really really hate him. He’s so frustrating. I plopped myself into the dirt in front of one of the logs and leant against it. Putting up with Shane Grey was exhausting, as well as a full time job. I closed my eyes.

Shanes POV

I woke with a start and sat up. I was covered in a cold sweat and I was breathing heavily. It was just a bad dream. I looked around the cabin. Jason’s presence was obvious due to his snoring. I looked over to Nates bed. It was empty. Where was he? I got worried. What if something bad had happened to him when he walked away from me? I know he was mad at me, furious with me. Where would he be?

I got out of bed and rapped my blanket around my body to protect it from the cold air coming off the lake. I left the cabin quietly and walked down the path to where the pier started. From what I gathered from the footsteps, Nate had gone this way when he left me. I breathed deeply and pulled the blanket closer to my body. I searched the mess hall, around the lake and didn’t find him. I was starting to get worried. I wandered down to the abandoned camp site me and Nate had sat and talked in on the first night. So much had happened since that night. As I passed the first log I spied him. Nate was curled up beside the log in the dirt. His face was peaceful. There was no anger, he wasn’t upset. He was asleep.

I sighed to myself, both pleased I had found him and frustrated with myself for driving him away. He had been right. He had tried to be my friend but I didn’t want it. I shook the thoughts from my head and knelt beside Nate, pulling the blanket from my bare shoulders and putting it around him. I lifted one of his arms and draped it around neck before lifting him up into my arms. Nate stirred slightly but stayed asleep. I was thankful. I carried him slowly, as not to jolt him into consciousness again. In his subconscious state, he wasn’t mad at me. I could be around him, talk to him. He wouldn’t let me be this close to him when he was awake.

When I got to the cabin, I nudged the door open with my foot and walked in, lying Nate carefully onto his bed. I pulled off his Chucks and put them at the side of his bed. I stood back and looked at him. His hair was tousled. I had noticed he played with it and pulled at it when he was upset with me. His eyes were slightly puffy. He had been crying. His usually perfectly ironed button down shirt was creased and crinkled. I caused this; all this. I lay back down on my bed and closed my eyes. I would fix everything. I just had to.