Status: Complete.

Give Love a Try

Chapter Thirteen

Nates POV

I groaned and stretched. I was comfortable. Wait, where the heck was I? I snapped my eyes open and looked around. I was in Cabin 6. How’d I get back here? I distinctly remembered lying out in the dirt beside the log in the abandoned camp ground. I was confused. I sat up. Both Jason and the other one were gone. I looked at my watch. 8.15am it read. I rubbed my eyes and cracked my neck. I groaned again. My neck was killing me. Stupid Shane, pissing me off and making me sleep out in the dirt. I kicked back the blankets and swung my legs out of bed. I stretched my arms up again and brought them down; my hand landed on a piece of paper. I picked it up and read it. My name; Nate was scrawled across the front. I scratched my head and opened the note.

Nate,
I’m sorry for everything I did and said. You have to know I didn’t mean for any of that to happen. The truth is you were right. When I came to this camp, I had no intention of making friends. I didn’t want to get close to anyone; I wanted to buckle down, study hard, improve my musical ability and win final jam. My eye was on the prize. It was clear image in my head. But someone blurred that image. Someone got in the way of my master plan.

That someone was you.

I want to be friends Nate. I really do. You’re the closest thing I’ve ever had to a friend.
It would mean the world to me if you would forgive me.
I’m sorry.
Love, Shane G.
P.S. I found you out by the lake last night and brought you inside. Don’t hate me.

I reread the note twice before setting it down on my bedside table. Shane confused me greatly. One day he hated me, argued with me. Then the next he was writing me sweet notes, apologizing for his behavior. I had to admit to myself that the note really was sweet and sounded sincere. I smiled slightly and stood up. Walking over to my chest of drawers I pulled out a pair of black skinny jeans and a tank top. I took off my clothes from yesterday and decided to shower this evening instead of right now. I wanted to see Shane. I pulled the tank top over my head and wriggled into my jeans. I wandered over to the wardrobe and pulled out one of my signature checked button downs. The one I chose was a mixture of green and brown; not my favourite but it will do. Sitting down on the edge of my bed, I pulled on my converses and read the note one more time.

I stood, feeling confident and walked out the cabin door towards the mess hall. I entered the mess hall and scanned it for Shane and Jason. Jason was nowhere to be seen, but Shane was sitting at table on the far wall, chatting to Alicia the violinist. I slowly approached them. Why was I so nervous? This was only Shane. I had forgiven him. I didn’t dislike him anymore. He wanted to be friends. I wanted us to be friends. We wanted the same thing, right? His eyes met mine and my knees turned to jelly. He broke eye contact and looked at Alicia. He said something. She looked at me and smiled. I returned the smile before she got up and walked away, moving to sit with some of the other girls.

I sat down and tried to breath normally. Come on Nate! What the hell is wrong with you?