Status: Complete.

Give Love a Try

Chapter Nineteen

Nate’s POV

Truth be told, I was terrified at this moment. Shane was supporting me while we walked to the nurse office. His arm was around my waist and he was holding me free hand. I was clutching his shirt to my head to stop the bleeding. His shirt! This meant, he wasn’t wearing a shirt. I was being escorted to the nurses office by a topless Shane Grey. This just made me feel woozier.

“Hey man,” Shane asked me, concern thick in his tone. “Are you okay? You’re not going to puke are you?”

“No, no. I’m alright,” i assured him. “It’s just, the smell of the blood is making my head spin.”

“Smell my shirt instead,” I was taken aback by his offer. “I don’t know if it’s clean. But it’s got to be better than the blood.”

I was reluctant, but I did what I was told. The shirt didn’t smell that bad. i could smell a mixture if Shane's deodorant and cologne. I could still smell the blood, but it wasn’t as strong.

“Thanks,” I half smiled at him.

“Okay, here we are!” Shane steered me into the nurse’s quarters and plopped me down on a chair.

“What happened here?” The nurse came out from behind her desk and stood in front of me. She lifted the shirt off my head and plopped it in my lap. The smell overwhelmed me and I flopped back into the chair breathing through my mouth. The nurse looked at Shane.

“He isn’t too fond of the smell of blood,” Shane explained with a grim expression. He crossed his arms across his bare chest, causing his biceps to flex slightly.

“Care to explain how this happened?” The nurse didn’t seem to be pleased about being bothered at 8 on a Saturday morning.

“He fell out of bed,” Shane told her in a heartbeat. “The thud of him hitting the floor is what woke me up. Thankfully.”

I smiled at Shane and he smiled back.

“Alright then,” the nurse said. “Come sit up here.” She ushered for me to sit on the table behind the curtain.

“Come on Nate,” Shane chucked his shirt over his shoulder and wrapped his arm around my waist again, helping me to stand.

“Thanks, again,” I replied sheepishly.

“Alright, Nate, let’s take a look shall we,” the nurse brushed my hair far back of my forehead and told Shane to put his hand there to hold it back. He did what he was told, and put his other hand on my knee.

“Okay,” the nurse placed a first aid kit beside me on the table and pulled out tweezers and antiseptic. “There’s a few splinters in your forehead, so I have to pull them out first.”

I nodded. I knew this was really going to hurt. I squeezed my eyes shut tight as she pulled the splinters out. Shane counted them aloud. There were four.

“Okay,” the nurse said again. “Now for the antiseptic.” She first used a cotton tip. I winced and grabbed Shane's hand, digging my nails in slightly. I opened my eyes and looked at him apologetically. He simply half smiled at me and flipped his hand over, lacing his fingers through mine. He squeezed my hand for support.

“You’re going to need stitches, honey,” she told me.

“Oh, God,” Shane took a deep breath. “I’m sorry Nate.”

“It’s no big deal Shane,” I smiled at him. “I’ve had stitches before.” I laughed halfheartedly.

“I need you to lie down, please,” the nurse told me and I did what I was told. Shane didn’t let go of my hand. He just walked around the table so he didn’t have to let go. The nurse slowly stitched up my head. Seven stitches in total, then more antiseptic, causing crescent moon shapes to be embedded into Shane’s hand. He had shrugged off my apology. The nurse placed a gauze bandage over it, gave me two painkillers and told me I could go.
When we walked outside, Shane pulled me quickly into a hug.

“I am so sorry, Nate!” He squeezed me gently before letting go.

“It’s alright!” I assured him. “It’s so big deal. Um, thanks for holding my hand. I’m a bit of a wimp when it comes to pain.”

Shane laughed at me and asked if I wanted breakfast.

“Yeah, but we better get dressed first,” I said, causing Shane to look down at himself and chuckle.

“Yeah. I forgot about that,” he chuckled his way back to the cabin as I followed. We walked into the cabin, where we were met by Jason.

“Where have you guys been?” Jason stood up with his hands on his hips. “I come back from breakfast and you’re just gone!”

“I, um, hit my head,” I pointed to the bandage on my forehead.

“Oh,” Jason let his hands fall. “Are you alright?”

“Seven stitches and a lot of antiseptic later,” I shrugged. “Yep, peachy.”

“I’ll let you guys get dressed then,” Kevin smiled. “See you guys later!”

“Where are you going?” Shane queried.

“To hang with Stephi,” Jason grinned, making both me and Shane smile at him.

“Have fun,” I told him as he left.

I watched Shane walk to his draw and pull out a new t-shirt and pull it over his head. He then walked to my draw, pulled out a black tank top and tossed it onto my bed. He wandered over to my wardrobe and inspected my button downs. He pulled out the green checked one and held it up. He looked from me, to the shirt and back again twice. He nodded in agreement with himself and tossed that on my bed too. He then walked over and stood in front of me. He reached for the bottom of my tank top.

“What are you doing?” I looked at him, raising an eyebrow.

“Stop being all suspicious and raise your arms,” he told me and I concurred. He pulled the soiled tank over my head and tossed it in the hamper at the end of his bed. He picked up the new one and pulled it over my head and down over my body. He picked up the button down and slowly pulled it over my left arm then my right. He started buttoning at the bottom, making sure they lined up properly. Well he got to the top he left the very top two buttons undone. He then looked me in the eye and smiled at me. I returned the smile and straightened out and inspected the shirt down my body. Shane used his hand to lift my chin to look at him. He leaned in slowly, eyes closed. I leaned in too, eyes closed. This all felt too familiar. I felt his hips against mine, his hand on the small of my back. He had a smirk on his face. I felt his breath on my mouth, making me pucker slightly. His breathe got hotter and closer to me.
The sound of the cabin door opening made us snap back to reality.

“Hey guys, Brown wants to see you,” Jason voice came from the doorway. I was still looking at Shane, but he was looking at Jason. “Something about Nate’s head.”

“Okay thanks Jason,” Shane sighed.

“Yeah, thanks man,” I also thanked him. Another wasted opportunity. I sighed as well. Will this ever just happen?