Status: Temporary Hiatus, sorry guys :/

Studying the Dead

Chapter One - Cole

It was Friday night, a party was going strong right outside my door and I was in my room writing a paper. Yes, the joys of needing to achieve good grades. Looking at the screen in front of me, I sighed as I rubbed my temples. Another month until finals, I could make it.

“Cole, you need to come now.” Furrowing my brow, I looked over as one of the guys from the floor popped his head in.

“What is it, dude? I kind of have to finish this.” He shook his head, the look on his face urgent.

“It’s Trent.” Was all he said before slipping back into the hall. With a frown, I grabbed my phone and walked out of the dorm room.

“What happened?” I found him as I moved through the bodies; just about everyone was toasted. That was nothing new, though. It was Friday, first day of the weekend, and the ‘normal’ people of the floor were celebrating, unlike me.

“Um…you should see for yourself.” Now I was worried. Quickly I followed him outside. A small group of people was gathered around something in the back of the building, all were whispering about something, some even crying. Frowning I made my way forward, pushing past them only to freeze.

All medical knowledge flew out the window as I stared at the puddle of blood that grew around the body. The whispers and sirens faded into the background as I looked at him. Finally, I looked away only to look up. He’d mentioned something about the roof earlier in the evening. Had he really jumped? Shivering, I wrapped my arms around myself, my attention once again drawn to the body. I couldn’t go near it, couldn’t make sure, even though I knew. All I could do was stare and wonder what the hell happened.