Control Yourself

Start of Something

The next day, all Shae thought about was Forrest.

She sat on her floral yoga mat at her studio, her legs folded up underneath her. Shae released a long sigh, feeling her lips curling into a smile. She still felt his hands tracing her body, the feel of his hair through her fingers. Shae shuddered.

The studio was empty except for the clicking of the keyboard downstairs at the front desk. It was calming, and tranquil. As Shae inhaled a deep breath, her eyes closing, she thought she heard vague conversation coming from downstairs. She exhaled deeply.

There was the slightest creak from behind her that tweaked her senses. Shae’s eyes snapped open and her head jerked around. She grinned.

“You have ears like a cat,” Forrest said while in a goofy, mid-tip toe stance. Shae giggled.

“I was really at peace there for a moment,” She said.

Forrest sat down beside her, his arm grazing hers. Shae felt herself feeling awfully giggly, not to mention blushing like a school girl.

“This is really nice,” Forrest said softly. “So quiet, so calm.”

Shae nodded, pulling her hair up into a ponytail. Forrest watched her, his eyes trailing along her slender neck; he sighed.

“So, did you just come here to hang out?” Shae laughed, leaning back casually. Forrest grinned, nodding.

“I came to see you, yeah,” He said. “Is that okay?”

Shae shrugged.

“I guess it’s acceptable,” She smirked. “Shouldn’t you be training?”

Forrest sighed, nodding.

“See, I’m supposed to be, but there’s this girl who’s sort of on my mind, and I just had to come and see her,” He chuckled. “I can’t help myself.”

“Yeah, I’ve been thinking about a guy today too,” Shae went along with it. “How he owes me a new vase.”

Forrest cracked a devilish smirk.

“Maybe a new headboard, too,” He snickered.

Shae shoved him, springing up from the mat.

“You’re sick,” She called over her shoulder, wiping out the cubbies with a disinfectant wipe, humming a casual tune. Forrest hopped up off the mat as well, striding over to where Shae was knelt down, cleaning out the cubbies. He admired the view of her backside. Shae stood back up, tossing the wipe into the trash. She smirked at Forrest, leaning against the wooden cubbies. Casually, he leaned into her, placing a hand on either side of her, drawing his face closer to hers. Shae shivered.

Their noses brushed before their lips collided.

Forrest placed his hands on her hips, thrusting her body into his. Shae broke out of the intense kiss, giggling.

“Forrest, c’mon,” She said. “I’m at work.”

“So? No one’s here,” He chuckled, afterward kissing her neck, tracing her collar bone. Shae chewed on her bottom lip, giggling yet again. She pushed Forrest away, smirking.

“Save it,” She demanded. Forrest rolled his eyes.

“Fine, boss-lady,” He said, throwing his hands in the air. Shae smirked.

Both of their heads snapped towards the entrance when they heard the soft sound of someone clearing their throat. Gretchen was standing there with wide, doe eyes. Shae gulped.

“Yeah, Gretchen?” She asked, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

“You have a phone call,” Her startled looking secretary informed her, returning downstairs. Shae and Forrest exchanged glances.

“Don’t keep me waiting,” He said with a wink. Shae rolled her eyes, brushing past him. Forrest reached for her wrist, gently tugging her back into his chest, pecking her lips.

“I have a call,” Shae reminded him in a soft voice. Forrest simply grinned.

“Do you know how good it feels to finally be able to do that?” He said. Shae pulled out of his grip, smirking as she trotted down the stairs, bringing the phone to her ear.

“Hello, this is Shae,” She greeted in an unusually perky tone.

Shae…” The voice on the other line shook. “I need to talk to you.”

Shae couldn’t believe it.

“Greg, you’re not supposed to be calling me,” She said in a hushed voice, her eyes fixed on the staircase, watching to see if Forrest would emerge. “What are you doing?”

I miss you…” He pleaded. “Come back to me.”

“Greg, I’m hanging up on you,” Shae hissed. “Do not call me.”

You’re with someone, aren’t you?” Greg cried. “How long has it been going on?”

“I’m at work,” She snapped. “And no, I’m not – not that it’s any of your business anymore…”

I’ll die without you, Shae Butter,” Greg sobbed. “I need you here with me.”

“Good-bye, Greg,” Shae said, handing the phone back to Gretchen. She stormed back upstairs, fists clenched and lips pursed, insistent on being angry until her eyes fell upon Forrest doing a hand stand, right in the middle of the studio. Shae giggled.

Forrest let his legs fall back to the ground and brushed out his shirt, grinning.

“Who was on the phone?” He asked, placing his hands on Shae’s hips after she walked over to him. Shae was, yet again, ridden with anger. She clenched her teeth.

“Greg,” She muttered, without giving it second thought. Forrest’s grip seemed to get a little tighter.

“I told him to leave you alone,” Forrest said firmly. Shae shrugged.

“He never was a good listener,” Shae sighed. “He hasn’t bothered me until now.”
Forrest shook his head in disbelief.

“He hasn’t been at the club much,” He informed Shae. “I mean, I guess I scared him.”

Shae sighed, resting her head against Forrest’s chest, listening to his heart pounding rhythmically. Lub, dub, lub, dub, lub, dub.