Status: Started 12//09

Once a Fragile Design

Veinte.

I had stuffed as much of my shit as I could into one of my duffle bags, and made a quick exit off The Maine's tour bus, pulling my iPhone from my pocket. I dialed information and after talking to an automated voice service, I was connected with an actual person.

"Thank you for calling the Dallas/Forth Worth International Airport. My name's Tracy, how may I help you?" a lady with too much joy in her voice greeted me.

"Hi, I was checking to see if you had any flights leaving to Phoenix, Arizona tonight?" I asked, sitting down on the bench of a nearby bus stop.

"Just one moment, please," she said. While waiting for her to look up the information, I lit up a cigarette, silently cursing in my head as I noticed I had only one stick left in my pack. "There are two flights heading out tonight, ma'am."

"That's great," I said, exhaling smoke. "Which flight leaves earliest?"

"Um, that would be a flight with Delta Airlines departing at seven-fifteen," she told me.

I glanced at the time on my phone and noticed it was already nearing six. "Alright, that's perfect. I need one ticket for that flight."

"Alright, I need your first and last name, ma'am, and how will you be paying this evening?"

After giving her my name and credit card information, I hung up and watched as the city bus came to a stop in front of me. I grabbed my bag and stepped onto the bus, paying the correct change before taking a seat near the front.

I watched as the venue quickly passed by me and was able to see Rian and Jack leaving their bus, both looking worried. I sighed and laid my head against the window, not bothering to worry about whose head had possibly touched this same window.

My phone began going off and I was quick to silence it, turning off my ringer altogether. Roxie's name flashed across the screen once more and even though it pained me to do so, I ignored the call. I wasn't in the mood to talk with anyone.

John had created an anger in me that I never knew existed up until a few moments ago. And along with that anger, came heartbreak; the worst feeling any human being can ever experience.

The only other time I had ever felt this way in my life, was when Zack and I had broken up. Tears began collecting in my eyes again, but I was quick to wipe them away.

John had had a point: Zack was my first love, my first everything. But, that didn't mean that I couldn't love John just as much; that I couldn't experience the feelings I had with Zack and so much more with him. In a way, I was looking forward to the relationship I had with John. I was eager to see what time and age would allow me to feel for him.

My phone began vibrating in my hands and I saw I had three unread texts.

Pick up your phone, Ace. I want to know that you're okay.
Zack

Acey, where the hell are you!? Answer your goddamn phone, I'm not playing!
Roxie

So you run away when things get hard? I wouldn't be surprised if you're on a flight back to Baltimore. Do whatever you want, Acey. I don't care.
John

I read and reread that text message from John a good twenty times, my heart being obliterated each time. I licked my lips, closing my eyes as I shut my phone off.

This was exactly why I tried so hard to avoid relationships; no good ever came from them. And what hurt the most, was knowing that it was John who was making me feel this way; the boy who had begged and begged me for years to give him a chance at being in a relationship with me.

The bus came to a stop and I knew I was going to have to get a taxi to drive me the rest of the way to the airport. As I stepped off, I noticed an ad for a taxi service on the back of a bench. I pulled my phone from my pocket, waiting as it turned on. Once it was, I quickly called the service, stating where I was and where I would need a ride to.

I pulled the last cigarette from my box, before crumpling it in my hands and throwing it into a nearby trashcan. I lit the menthol stick, sighing in relief as I realized that soon enough I would be back in my own my home, far away from John Cornelius O'Callaghan.
The yellow vehicle arrived within a short few minutes, and I eagerly got into the car, anxious to get to the airport.

Despite the awkward questions and conversation with the taxi driver, it seemed to only take a short amount of time to reach the airport. I hurriedly paid the man before getting out of the car. I held tightly onto my luggage as I stepped into the large building, stopping near the front to read the signs.

Check-In was next to an arrow pointing to my right, so I followed it. The line was rather short, taking me a mere five minutes to reach the desk. After giving the proper information to the lady behind the desk, my ticket was printed off and I began making my way to the table where my duffle bag needed to be checked in.

The security guard took my bag and ran it through a scanner before wishing me a safe flight. I thanked him quietly and began making my way to security. However, I didn't get very far as I heard two voices yelling my name, stopping me in my tracks. There was no way in hell they had gotten here so fast.

I turned around and was tackled with a hug from Roxie, who was breathing heavily. "Damn you, Acey! You know I'm a smoker and you made me run from the very back of the fucking parking lot to in here!" she gushed.

"Very back?" I asked confused.

Jack nodded his head, his hair wet from sweat as he bent over, resting his palms on his knees. "They - they wouldn't let us drive the bus to the front. Some sort of safety hazard," he informed me.

Roxie nodded her head. "So we decided to be all dramatic and left the bus right by security and made a run for the airport."

I shook my head, not being able to hold back my laughter. "You two are fucking insane."

Jack smiled, placing a hand on Roxie's shoulder. "I like to think I'm teaching Roxie here the basics."

She rolled her eyes, but a smile still made it's way to her face. "Ace, what were you thinking just leaving like that? And not answering your phone! I mean, I figured you wouldn't answer the guys, but come on! We're best friends, bro," she said, the expression on her face turning serious.

I sighed, giving my shoulders a subtle shrug. "Rox, I can't be near him. I really can't," I admitted. "I needed to get away and Phoenix seems like the best place at the moment."

She shook her head. "This isn't right, Acey, and you know it isn't. If you run away now, you're only letting John think he won; you're allowing him to think he was right. Trust me, I'm just as pissed off at him right now as you are, but running away isn't going to solve anything."

Jack nodded his head in agreement. "What she said," he smiled.

Roxie scoffed and pushed her shoulder into him. "Why did I bring you and not Alex, again?"

He laughed. "Because I'm your best friend and you love me?" She chuckled and nodded her head.

I licked my lips, knowing that she had a point. "I guess you're right, but ... What am I supposed to do if I have to be face to face with him?" I asked.

Roxie stayed quiet for a moment before answering. "Me and the guys will make sure he keeps his distance from you, until you feel ready to talk to him. It's the only way I can see this working," she said.

"Do you think Garrett, Kennedy, Pat and Jared will go along with it?"

She nodded her head. "They're just as angry with John as you are, Ace. Even Tim chewed his ass out."

I had to smile at hearing this. "We better head to Customer Service," I said.

Jack gave me an odd look. "Why?"

"Well, if I'm coming back on tour, I need my shit and I already put it through security," I told him.

Roxie smiled. "Let's go get your bag."
♠ ♠ ♠
Damn. I wanted this to be longer.
I'm sorry it's short. ):
But hey,I found Acey! (: