Status: Completed.

Ash Over Seas

Stick your heart inside of my chest, Keep it warm here while we rest

“Ugh,” I scoffed quietly, fluffing my fingers through my hair once more and praying that it would fall the way I wanted it to. When it didn’t, I simply glared it down and opted to just let it stay that way as I leaned forward to brush a light layer of mascara across my lashes.

“You two are getting serious pretty fast,” Atticus commented from my bed as he lounged across the mattress, hands folded behind his head casually.

I finished and stood up straight, pulling down the long sleeved, dark maroon sweater dress that I had chosen for the occasion. The neck was cut in a tasteful v-shape and the fabric clung comfortably to my skin, stopping just above my knees.

I glanced up at the mirror again, shooting my brother a soft smile as our reflections stared back at each other in the glass.

“Is that a bad thing?” I asked as I turned to face him and began digging in my closet for some shoes to wear.

The boy shrugged, bringing his eyes to the ceiling as I finally produced a pair of black suede boots that would do perfectly. I plopped down next to him, pulling them on easily.

“You could come, you know. Try and make some friends like Father wanted you to,” I told him as I twisted my torso to get a look at his face.

A snort escaped the boy’s lips, which then curled into a wry smirk as he shook his head.

“Right.”

“You're so weird, Attie,” I shook my head as I gazed down at him. “You know, if you were a little more friendly I bet the girls might even talk to you. You're quite charming, but I’m pretty sure you terrify them.”

My brother’s golden eyes narrowed in my direction, before he rolled them back to the ceiling and decided to ignore me. I sighed, getting up from the bed and walking over to my bureau again, sifting through my purse to ensure that I had everything.

I heard Atticus’s form shifting off the bed and then suddenly an old banana peel was sliding down the back of my neck.

“Atticus!” I cried as the boy swiftly disappeared from the room. I took off after him as quickly as I could, and caught him right as he was nearing the stairs. Without a second thought, I tackled him from behind and sent us sprawling downward in a tumbleweed of limbs until we hit the landing at the bottom.

“What the fuck!” the boy groaned as our father glanced out from the kitchen. His cold face softened for a moment in amusement as he came to rest at the doorway connecting with the living room.

“Colby, get off your brother,” he sighed with a small smile before returning back to the stove.

“Hold on,” I grumbled, turning back to the boy I had pinned beneath me. “Banana peel, Attis? Very original,” I scoffed. “Say you're sorry, or else. Say ‘I’m sorry, Colby, and I hope that someday I can grow to be as graceful and dign—AGH!”

A loud shriek flew from my lips, as I was abruptly flipped from my position and found myself face first against the floor with my arm twisted behind my back.

“You talk too much,” my brother muttered before releasing me and disappearing down into the kitchen, as a tiny chuckle left his lungs.

I muttered a few choice words, rotating out my arm turning and checking my hair for debris. Artemis glanced up at me from the couch, smiling brightly as she watched Christmas movies on the television; Pan nestled comfortably against her side.

“This no-stress deal has done you wonders, Coley,” she told me happily, as she pulled her rusty hair into a loose knot. Pan seemed to nod softly beside her.

“Thanks, Ar,” I smiled as I settled in next to her just in time to be interrupted by the doorbell once again.

Artemis bolted up, beating me to the door as she pulled it open to reveal Jacob, this time dressed more elegantly in a pair of dark slacks and a loose white button-up.

“Aren’t you cold?” the tiny Kitsune asked as she quickly pulled him inside.

The shifter chuckled and shook his head. “I don’t get cold,” he whispered smugly.

“Lucky!” she sighed and I patted her head lightly as Atticus came to lean in the doorway, several freshly baked rolls clutched in his hands.

“You’ll grow into it,” I assured her, remembering how my brother wasn’t always the ball of fire he had become, and had warmed with age as well. My sister beamed at me, cheering a little before dashing back to the couch and engrossing herself in the movie.

Jake turned to face me and smiled. “Wow, Cole, you look amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you look so… elegant.”

I heard a light snort from behind me as Atticus muttered under his breath, “You should have seen her ten minutes ago.”

Jacob frowned, looking to me for an explanation but I just shook my head, shooting a soft glare to my oldest sibling.

“Don’t listen to him,” I said, rolling my eyes. “The lack of social interaction with the outside world has turned him mental.”

A balled up sock was hurtled at me from the top of the stairs and I caught it easily in my hand, chuckling as I tossed it into the shoe rack and I bid a quick goodbye to my family.

“I apologize if it’s like a rodeo in here,” Jacob murmured as we approached his alpha’s front door, stopping on the porch for a moment so he could prepare me. “The pack tends to get a little rowdy when we’re all together.”

“I think I’ll be all right,” I chuckled, patting his arm before reaching to ring the doorbell.

Jacob scoffed and pushed my hand away. “We’re family here,” he told me. “Family means not having to ring doorbells.”

And with that, he waltzed us straight through the door and into the warm glow of a small yellow sitting room. There were people crowded throughout it, while some drifted into the adjoining kitchen, where there was a large buffet of food spread out on the counters. A small tree stood in the corner, adorned with all sorts of lights and ornaments, and cast a warm glow over everyone.

Several faces turned toward us as the door closed and we brushed the snow from our shoulders.

“You made it!” Quil cheered happily from the couch, as Jake took my coat to hang with the rest on a large metal rack. There was a small girl, who I assumed must have been Claire, perched in Quil’s lap and she quickly scolded him for taking his attention from the movie they were watching, pouting as her lip jutted out stubbornly. Without a second thought, the large boy turned back to her, apologizing sincerely as he settled her back against his chest and turned toward the screen once more.

I chuckled warmly, and smiled a greeting as two unfamiliar figures approached us.

“Jake,” the male said, his voice warm and calm, holding an air of authority. I immediately took this to be Sam Uley.

“Sam, Emily,” Jacob replied, also acknowledging the female under his alpha’s arm as he pulled me forward and grasped my hand. “I’d like you to meet Colby, my imprint.”

I blushed slightly and reached my hand out for them to shake.

“It’s great to finally meet you,” Emily said as she shook it gently, her eyes radiating a motherly warmth that immediately panged at my heart, though immediately put me completely at ease. “Jake here never stops talking about you.”

“Really?” I chuckled, raising my brows at the boy beside me.

“Oh yeah,” he said without shame. “And I didn’t neglect to mention how you think her cooking is inferior.”

I scoffed, slapping his arm lightly as I shook my head. “He has no idea what he’s talking about, I swear. Was he dropped on his head as a child or something?”

Emily chuckled lightheartedly as a new voice piped up and I recognized Billy Black wheeling toward us from the kitchen, a filled plate resting in his lap as his dark eyes sparkled up at us.

“As a matter of fact, I might have let him slip once or twice…” the man chortled good-naturedly as he came to a stop within our circle.

“Thanks, Dad,” Jacob replied sarcastically and Billy’s smile only grew more devilish.

“I’m just kidding, son, but this food really is spectacular. You two should grab some before it’s all gone,” he winked before wheeling himself into the living room to mingle with everyone else.

“It was nice meeting you, and thank you for inviting me here,” I told Sam and his fiancé as Jacob began tugging impatiently on my hand. They smiled warmly and ensured me that it was their pleasure.

“Come on, let’s go!” Jacob urged as he led me over to the counter, his eyes greedily roaming over the assortment of dishes. “Be prepared to be proven wrong,” he smirked as he grabbed two plates and began piling them with food.

“Woah, woah, woah,” I said, snatching my plate from him before it snapped in half from strain. “You might have five stomachs, but I’ve only got one, okay?”

“Sure, sure,” he said distractedly as he continued to make his way down the counter, taking a large sampling of everything. Once his plate was piled like a small mountain, we made our way into the already crowded sitting room as the conversation and laughter swirled around us.

Seth and Penny sat in the corner, folded together and talking happily with Jared and Kim. Paul, and what I assumed to be Jacob’s sister Rachel, were milling around near the staircase, as he seemed to be persuading her toward something. The skeptical look on her face made me sure it wasn’t something party-appropriate and chuckled lightly.

The only boy I saw without a date was Embry Call, who stood awkwardly near some of the older guests. I quickly caught his eye, smiling and waving him over as my boyfriend continued to shovel down his food.

“See? Now isn’t this the best food you’ve ever tasted in your life?” Jacob asked through a mouthful of mashed potatoes as his eyes closed in bliss. Embry eyed him in amusement and picked a piece of celery from my plate as I offered it toward him.

“I’d give it… eight point five,” I shrugged, now reaching for a deviled egg, which I had to admit, was easily a ten.

“Oh man, ten thousand,” Jacob hummed as he took a bite of yams and I chuckled, resisting the urge to rub a spoonful of creamed corn in his face.

“Dude, you look like you're enjoying that a little too much,” said Embry uneasily, as he wrinkled his nose in distaste.

“Be glad you're not coming for my father’s dinner tomorrow,” I assured the boy. “Though you're more than welcome to. Mr. Black here will be eating those words once he tastes my father’s homemade sourdough.”

“I think I’m good,” the lanky shifter laughed as Jake polished off his plate with a large glass of milk.

He set the plates down on a table nearby and turned to me as a goofy grin spread across his face. “I love the way you say Mister,” he teased. “You can’t pronounce ‘R’s… it’s adorable.”

Embry chuckled heartily and nodded in agreement. I rolled my eyes.

“I can too pronounce my ‘R’s,” I protested as I placed my empty plate on the table with Jake’s and glared at the two.

Jacob chuckled again and shook his head. “No, you can’t. You can pronounce your ‘ahh’s. But that’s about it.”

“Whatever,” I rolled my eyes, ignoring them as they began to snicker to themselves once again and Emily announced that she was breaking out dessert.

The gathering lasted far into the night and by the time Jacob and I shuffled out the door, bidding a warm goodbye to our hosts, the moon was high in the sky and I shivered slightly from the icy air.

The wind had finally died down and the night was still as I gazed skyward, the snow crunching under my feet as I stepped in front of Jake and headed toward the car.

“Wow,” I breathed as my eyes were met with a sky filled with shining white stars. The clouds still wove throughout the horizon in wispy tufts, and added to the majestic feeling of the scene.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” Jacob’s voice whispered in my ear as his chin came to rest on my shoulder. His arms snaked around my waist, pulling my back against his chest and I tilted my head back to place a light kiss on his jaw.

“It’s amazing,” I breathed in awe, warming my nose against the smooth skin of his neck. “I’ve never been out at night when it’s clear before.”

“Come on then,” he grinned. “I’ve got a present for you.”

I allowed him to pull me into the car, while he shifted it into gear and took off onto the road, quickly speeding down the lanes until he came to First Beach.

“Jake, I don’t really think swimming is such a good idea right now,” I teased and he rolled his eyes, grinning as he hastily pulled me from the car and hoisted me onto his back.

“I can walk,” I chuckled but he just shook his head and took off up the road, leading me through the forest.

A shiver passed over my skin as my recent dreams rushed forth in my mind and I tightened my grip around his neck.

Within ten minutes, the trees started to thin and the upward slope of the hill flattened out. After several more, we had left the tree cover and were left standing on the edge of a large rocky cliff. Jake let me down gently and my eyes roamed over everything in awe.

“What is this place?” I murmured as I hesitantly walked toward the ledge.

“The pack goes cliff diving here sometimes,” Jacob explained as his hand slipped around mine. “When it’s clear out, it’s the best view in La Push.”

“Yeah,” I breathed as my eyes took in the ocean and I saw the reflection of the moon and stars over the surprisingly tame waters. Something deep within me panged at the beauty of the scene, and my hand flew to my chest, lightly clutching at it as my eyes soaked in everything. It left me breathless.

Jacob sighed softly and I turned to him, smiling curiously as I lightly rested my hands behind his neck.

“I still can’t believe this is finally happening,” Jake admitted as he pulled me closer against his chest, rubbing his nose with mine affectionately.

“Yeah,” I sighed, trying not to let my melancholy thoughts spoil the moment. “It’s like you said,” I added, a tiny smile twitching at my lips. “I can’t resist you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
so i've been wondering... you all know Colby is sick, and I cant decide how to end this story, so i'm asking your opinions. and i know your first response is to say "NO, dont let her die!" but come on, people, sometimes sad endings are amazing endings, so really give it some thought.

comment to let me know what you think! because your input really will matter!
and subscribing would also make my day ")